Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,570Posts
    • 39,100Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 62
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 17, 4:48 AM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,456 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care of you GP. Xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,100 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I hope that the nasty fan hitting stuff is resolved to your satisfaction asap.
    X
    MM
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Regretfully it is beyond that point and we're into damage limitation territory now

beanie - U 2 But wot u doing up at 4.48am??

Good Morning

Tea last night was indeed pizza with oven chips. I tried the m&$ essential range - steak cut. They were ok... if anything, they seemed to cook unevenly.... not too sure what could be done about that. I'd give them a try again, but they don't rank as the best oven chips I've ever had. They were £1 for 900g.

Tea this evening will be summat on a curry vibe. i'm thinking I will definitely do dalcha with the remaining courgette to make good use of it

Can't actually think of owt else MS to report, nor remind myself of.....

Better shuffle orf.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Jul 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sending big hugs your way GP to help lighten the load!

Bear - hooray for soup making - we've some broc & stilton soup on the planner as guests are coming! (Freeezer lightening in progress. )
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Have a hug from me Greying ((((((())))))))) hope you manage to find some cheerfulness in the day despite your ongoing "situation" (and that the damage is limited as much as possible) xx
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 15th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 17,738 Posts
    • 77,409 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    That, my darling, is super-fab.

I've some $h1t going down in RL, so please forgive my absence.

But HM soup making, with YUM results.....

X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

I've never made soup before which is...embarrassing.

A house a few streets away has a "Please help yourself" basket in the garden. There were some small turnips and courgettes and I decided I would make soup with them. I thought potatoes could be added and OH (who makes soup) agreed.
    So - turnip, courgette and potato soup

Hope the RL stuff is sorted soon
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Greying
    I read more than post on your diary, love your food ideas and have been inspired (along with receiving my Grans old cookbooks and recipes from my wee Mam) to have a go at being a better cook and baker.
    Sorry to hear of the RL !!!! storm and hope as others have said that the damage limitation is as successful as possible, I was going to post an emoji hug but as has been pointed out by others it does look very dodgy, so (((((HUGS)))))
    You are an inspiration, keep on going cos you ROCK
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sending some weekend hugs your way GP xoxoxox

...and remember that in the midst of the sh!te, you did have pizza & wedges for your tea - so a little 'something' is still right with the world!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,100 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Busy reminding myself it is Tuesday We took a little (pre-planned) time out from Greying Towers/Greying Town and went to look at summat in a different part of the country. We even had an overnight stay All done with budgets at the forefront of our minds. However, I've learnt that the sooner you book prem1er 1nns, the less it costs. I dithered, and had to pay a £7 'stoopid tax' for my dither!!! Still, I'll know for next time It was all a bit of an experiment on so many levels anyway.

We took the opportunity to visit an aircraft hangar of a mrT's. I think our breakfast would have represented better value had we avoided having coffee....... I'd forgotten how much coffee 'out' costs, and how it very often tastes indifferent..... I did however, hit the 'world food' aisles and spent some of my 'bulk buy float' on chickpeas, mung beans and lentils. I did see something that confirmed why having other people 'pick' shopping would never work for me. I watched whilst an employee picked up 2 of the most battered, bashed and distortionatedly dented tins of coconut milk off the shelf, and put them in the client's shopping bags on the trolley. The tins shouldn't even have been sold as YS'd they were that bad - why send them out, surely the customer would reject them and send them back? Who's going to pay £1.40 for 2 badly damaged tins?

We did pick up some cheap sandwiches too, and had them as our picnic lunch during a 'bonus' NT visit on the way home. The weather was glorious, the view magnificent. The NT property was...... quirky, but we possibly wouldn't bother going there again (difficult to access), but I'm glad that we were able to combine visits to 2 'new' nt places in our visit - we definitely got value for money

Back to reality with a 'bump'. A major task will divert my attention for the next... who knows how many days. That's life I guess, but I'm getting resentful of spending time on 'important' but no longer priority stuff. This one can't be let go of though, so I've got to divert all my energies into it.

The remaining food budget is squeaky, but we've got plenty of food 'in'. I must sort out my accounts to reflect what I've bought and which 'budget' it came out of.

I've not done a meal plan for the rest of the week. Best get on to that. We had pasta with 'cupboard bits' last night (sounds like there was dust and woodlice in it....... )

I'm behind with my UFM reading with being away. But I did read more of my library book, so swings and roundabouts.

Right, best greet the day.... Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday..... and get on with things.

Ta for your ongoing support. It helps more than you know......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh Greying, I'm SO glad you got some time away what fun! glad you got to see some new NT properties too I used to have NT membership but we're in a bit of an NT desert here plenty of other lovely things but nothing NT (other than free countryside places) for about 50 miles. Also Mr Cheery is NOT a fan of wandering round posh country houses

UFM has been ignored by me too back on the case today with a packed lunch for my work trip most vexed as 'm off on a work trip today, and changed travel plans at the last minute to go to a different station - checked online in the taxi to the station and it said I could have an off peak ticked for £104 but at the station the machine would only give me an anytime one for £147 of course I was running late and didn't have time to sort at the ticket office - so thats £43 stupid tax for me

(Fortunately this is a work expense for a project I hold the budget for so the priority is speed and limited messing about - I like to think Id be more thrifty with my own dosh! )

Have a good TUESDAY greying
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 46,548 Posts
    • 165,456 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Tuesday.
    Glad you had a good break.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 39,100 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Cheery - it's interesting about NT 'deserts' - we love holidaying in Dorset (or did pre- BG), and the one thing that is against it is the lack of NT properties to visit - once you've done the obvious T. Hardy esq attractions. Although I did enjoy going to..... Cloudshill? - T.E. Lawrence's cottage. Although they are a bit of a 'one time' event. Not too sure things change from one year to the next. And I'm with Mr Cheery - the grand houses can get very samey - hence why I love the gardens, or open spaces or beaches, or woods or....... You are a marvel - coping with extreme budgetting whilst selling a house, travelling for work, keeping up with friends, living your life............RESPECT!

I have no idea what is for tea - I've not even thought about it. My mind has been elsewhere today. DH was in full care mode with BG whilst I battled with printers and stamps - and there is more to come

So, I am grateful for these 3 things today;

my wonderful, wonderful family (Greying) - without whom, there would be no meaning in life - we may be a small 'unit', but we're family, and mean everything to one another

for the offer of professional help to tackle my Nemesis* - so grateful.................... (*and no, t'ain't chocolate! )

honesty
    - sometimes you just gotta confess, enough is enough...........

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,238Posts Today

6,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin