Have you all opened another email address??

Hi all...
I'm fairly new to comping and i think i made the first mistake of using my regular email address. I intended on opening another one however i only got around to it today...2 weeks in:silenced::silenced::silenced:

anyone use their regular email account? if so how do you cope with the emails??

Comments

• cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,611
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    I may be in the minority, but I've always just used my standard email address for comping. At one point I was getting a couple of hundred emails a day (even after mostly not ticking to accept newsletters!) but I had a mad spree of unsubscribing, and now I just unsubscribe as the mails come in, and I don't have a problem at all.
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I use another email address for comping. If you do open another email address, don't call it something obviously comping related.
  • Bambinoxx
    Bambinoxx Posts: 9 Forumite
    Thank you for getting back to me! The only problem i have is that i am worried if i unsubscribe i may not be eligible to enter the competition? Is that not usually the case?
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I only have one email address. :)

I try to clear it out most nights. ;)
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,599
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've always used one email address for everything, but I admit that when I get some time, I am going to set up a new personal email address, for everything non-comping, and then at some point, an email address just for comping. I don't mind the spam emails so much, but the phishing and scamming ones are getting to me a bit now.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Bambinoxx wrote: »
    Thank you for getting back to me! The only problem i have is that i am worried if i unsubscribe i may not be eligible to enter the competition? Is that not usually the case?

That would depend on the competition T&Cs and whether or not they require you to subscribe and remain a subscriber for the length of the competition.

I maintain several e-mail addresses and keep personal/banking etc well clear of my comping and that generally makes phishing ones very easy to spot and keeps the "real" stuff clutter free as well.
  • nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've got a comping one and a personal 'professional' one which has my name in it.

I keep the two separate as I get too many emails to go through on my personal one.
    I always keep subscriptions unless it becomes spammy! :)
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • JesElis
    JesElis Posts: 33 Forumite
    I have 3 email addys, 1 specifically for competitions and associated newsletter sign ups. The other 2 are for friends and 'official' stuff. It's much easier for me that way as it keeps everything separate so nothing important is buried. I like order :o

The comp email gets a fair bit of spam where clearly a company I legit gave the address to has forwarded my email to some other mailing list :naughty: A quick scan down to check for anything that's possibly a wem or an interesting newsletter, then a mass delete of the superfluous! :)
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    If you're having problems with your inbox being flooded with spam or whatever you call it, you always have the option to unsubscribe. You often find it on the bottom of the mail. When you comp, it's advised that you set up a dedicated email address. Read this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Competitions-comping-win
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,599
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    If you're having problems with your inbox being flooded with spam or whatever you call it, you always have the option to unsubscribe. You often find it on the bottom of the mail. When you comp, it's advised that you set up a dedicated email address. Read this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Competitions-comping-win

True, but worth saying, don't ever do this with something phishy. You shouldn't click on any of their links, it could lead to ransomware, a virus or any other type of malware.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income