Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missile
    • By missile 17th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 8,729Posts
    • 4,200Thanks
    missile
    disCOURTeous
    • 17th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    disCOURTeous 17th Apr 17 at 1:43 PM
    Hi,

I witnessed an incident, reported it to the Police and gave a witness statement.
    I received a citation from CPFS, instructing me to attend no later than 09.30. I duly attended @ 09.20on the appointed day to be told you are very early. The court doesn't open until 10.00.
    At 11.30, I was told that the case had been cancelled as defendant's solicitor had not turned up. No apology for my wasted appearance.
    I have received another citation giving a new court date, when I shall be on holiday. The paperwork tells me that
    I must submit evidence that I have a holiday booked for consideration by CPFS. Only if they give permission will I be excused and if I do not appear a warrant will be issued for my arrest.
    I appreciate that it is important, but stating I am on holiday should be good enough. I object to being required to give evidence to prove I am not being dishonest and the threatening tone of their communication.

What would happen if I had no evidence to give? For example, if I was attending a funeral, going camping/ caravanning or had arranged to stay with a friend or relative in the UK.

I now understand why Joe Public are often deaf, dumb and blind and walk on by when they witness an incident.
    Last edited by missile; 17-04-2017 at 3:30 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Page 2
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 21st Apr 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    I feel for you OP.
    The courts have no respect for anyone but themselves and work based on total arrogance. I hope they get their act together and you get away on your holuday.
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • missile
    • By missile 1st May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    missile
    If you fail to return the Reply Form within 14 days, CPFS will instruct police to visit your home or place of work to serve another citation on you personally.
    One might reasonably expect a similarly prompt response from the CPFS?

14 days later and no reply to my request to be permitted to go on pre-booked holiday.
    Last edited by missile; 01-05-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Gers
    • By Gers 1st May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 32,074 Thanks
    Gers
    One might reasonable expect a similarly prompt response from the CPFS?

14 days later and no reply to my request to be permitted to go on pre-booked holiday.
    Originally posted by missile
    It's only been 10 working days since 17 April and today is a BH. Perhaps you received the letter before your post.
    • missile
    • By missile 1st May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    missile
    If you fail to return the Reply Form within 14 days, CPFS will instruct police to visit your home or place of work to serve another citation on you personally.

NOT ........... 14 working days plus extension for bank holidays <LOL>
    Ride hard or stay home
    • missile
    • By missile 15th May 17, 3:23 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    missile
    I feel for you OP.
    The courts have no respect for anyone but themselves and work based on total arrogance. I hope they get their act together and you get away on your holiday.
    Originally posted by ARandomMiser
    You are so right

28 days and still no response from CPFS. I phoned today:

Me: Please advise if my request to be excused from attendance has been approved.

PFCS: We will not answer your request until after the case is reviewed on 31.05.2017.

Me: You demanded I respond to the citation within 14 days. Why can't you respond in a timely manner?

PCFS: That is the system and no we cannot confirm if you will be excused or not until after 31.05.2017.
    More fool me, for trying to be a good Samaritan and reporting a crime. I feel so frustrated. Next time, I will just walk on by
    Ride hard or stay home
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 15th May 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    pelirocco
    I was called to be a witness in a case that dragged on for a few years , the defendant had a habit of beeing sick on the court date , the last twice i was informed at the very last moment that it would have to be recheduled . Every time I was asked if i had any holiday booked over the following 6 months and to let them know the dates , there really isnt any problem if you let them know now while they are attempting to get a date that suits everyone
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • missile
    • By missile 15th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    missile
    I was called to be a witness in a case that dragged on for a few years , the defendant had a habit of beeing sick on the court date , the last twice i was informed at the very last moment that it would have to be recheduled . Every time I was asked if i had any holiday booked over the following 6 months and to let them know the dates , there really isnt any problem if you let them know now while they are attempting to get a date that suits everyone
    Originally posted by pelirocco
    That is what friends have advised and I do hope you are correct.

It seems my experience is the norm and CPFS treat all witnesses with utter contempt.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    badmemory
    Thanks, please be advised:
    After the first trial date was cancelled, I did contact CPFS to advise them that I had a holiday booked. They ignored my communication and sent me the second citation.

Did people miss this? Perhaps OP you should give them a list of holidays planned for the next ten years. I bet they will still send it for a date you are on holiday.

I do think the solicitor should be fined for not turning up. It does show that THEY don't respect the court.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 15,168 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    hollydays
    Did people miss this? Perhaps OP you should give them a list of holidays planned for the next ten years. I bet they will still send it for a date you are on holiday.

I do think the solicitor should be fined for not turning up. It does show that THEY don't respect the court.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    But of course, solicitors can have extremely complex clients. I'm sure the court doesn't accept excuses from them.

It's this simple. Any holidays, check with the courts.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 15,168 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    hollydays
    That is what friends have advised and I do hope you are correct.

It seems my experience is the norm and CPFS treat all witnesses with utter contempt.
    My experience is that they don't .
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    missile
    I am pleased to report, CPFS have advised I am no longer required to attend court as the case has been adjourned.
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,238Posts Today

6,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin