21 with £13000, what should I do with it?

Options

Comments

• elephantrosie
    Options
    to me, education is important and i will not trade entering the working world earlier to university.
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    to me, education is important and i will not trade entering the working world earlier to university.

University can be over-rated. OH and I both feel that our degrees were not particularly useful.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    University can be over-rated. OH and I both feel that our degrees were not particularly useful.

yes and no. mark zuckerberg, the fb founder quit his degree, not because he felt it was not particularly useful but he needed to do the right thing at the right time. he is now one of the richest man in the world.

but say if you want to be a doctor... can you be one without the degree? no.
    many other professions come with necessary qualifications and although i did not enjoy my university days, i am thankful that both my lowly educated parents worked hard to sent their children to universities, giving us more opportunities.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    yes and no. mark zuckerberg, the fb founder quit his degree, not because he felt it was not particularly useful but he needed to do the right thing at the right time. he is now one of the richest man in the world.

but say if you want to be a doctor... can you be one without the degree? no.
    many other professions come with necessary qualifications and although i did not enjoy my university days, i am thankful that both my lowly educated parents worked hard to sent their children to universities, giving us more opportunities.

I'll happily accept that not all degrees are useless but I don't think that university for the sake of university is necessarily good. I wish I had studied something a bit more pointful but back then the message was 'get a degree, it doesn't matter what in'.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    I'll happily accept that not all degrees are useless but I don't think that university for the sake of university is necessarily good. I wish I had studied something a bit more pointful but back then the message was 'get a degree, it doesn't matter what in'.

you received the wrong message.
    i had a goal of what degree i wanted, what degree i needed.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobobski wrote: »
    So although in general I agree, there are times when I don't think your comment applies.
    That is why I wrote "probably". There are always exceptions and edge cases, but their existence is not a reason to ignore the general case; and enumerating all the said exceptions and edge cases would lead to posts longer than bowlhead99's.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    Most graduates esrn far more over a lifetime than non grads fact
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most graduates esrn far more over a lifetime than non grads fact

You appear to have absorbed the alternative truth.

Whilst graduates may well earn more on average going forward, the current data for outperformance is by its nature historic, so based on times when graduates were a much smaller fraction of the population.

The graduate premium is reducing and for many students, particularly those doing less rigorous or vocational courses at lower ranked universities, then opportunities will be very limited.

Always question these 'facts' as you are really buying the advertising that universities, and particularly the ex polytechnics and higher education colleges are issuing, as that is unfortunately how they make their money, from fees.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I was 21 and had £13k I'd go travelling around the world for a couple of years. In fact that's exactly what I did and although my net worth took a hit I wouldn't trade those experiences for any amount of money. I know this is a savings and investments board but you're 21, don't waste your youth worrying about interest rates.
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I m a year older with a bit less in savings than you, but I ve got it between help to buy isa, a monthly saver and a club Lloyds account and an easy access saver for the rest (I d lock it all away but we get married this year and hope to buy a house next year). Well done on saving so well not many people our age too, I think many have the spend whilst their young attitude and perhaps latter regret that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure