Two Hudl questions

I have both a Hudl 1 and a Hudl 2....

The Hudl 2 is gradually developing a bright spot, maybe 3mm in diameter about a cm in from one edge. The picture still exists over that area but it almost looks as though the backlight is far to close to the lcd panel at that point. It is fixable and will it get worse?

The Hudl 1 has a lovely screen but feels increasingly slow and "clunky" to use. Is there a worthwhile benefit to be had from a complete re-install? Or, could some more basic system be installed without all the Tesco apps and other unwanted rubbish? I would be quite happy to keep it just to control my Chromecast for iPlayer etc but are they likely to support Android 4.4 for much longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks/

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    could some more basic system be installed without all the Tesco apps and other unwanted rubbish?/

You could root your Hudl if you feel up to it ..

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2510128

And then install cygennomod or another light android fork
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks both, I will browse the links later. A couple more questions...

I have heard of "rooting" but not looked into it. I'm reasonably computer literate with Mac / Windows and a bit of linux.

Will a rooted device still access the Play store for Apps or do you have to get them by other means?

Will iPlayer (for example) run on a light version of Android?

If I go down this route (root!) and don't like the result, can I still revert to how it originally came out of the box or is that option lost?

Thanks again.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Play store still works fine on a rooted device. I used to root my Nexus 4.

As to your other questions, I'll let others consider and respond. :)
  • Or, could some more basic system be installed without all the Tesco apps and other unwanted rubbish?

Can't speak for the Hudl 1, but the Hudl 2 can definitely have the Tesco bloatware removed.

I replaced the original launcher with Nova Launcher, and stripped out all the Tesco carp.

It runs a lot better now. :cool:
  • Will iPlayer (for example) run on a light version of Android?

All 4 works on my (Nova Launcher equipped) Hudl 2, so I don't see why other TV players wouldn't.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    All your apps should work with the exception of some bank ones.
    And yes you can go back to your original build, you can back it up before/during to root process
  • Undervalued
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    All 4 works on my (Nova Launcher equipped) Hudl 2, so I don't see why other TV players wouldn't.

Thanks

I have done as you suggested here with my Hudl 1 and it seems a good bit better.

I have simply disabled the Tesco apps in settings (is that what you meant ?) or do I need to go further and find a way of actually uninstalling them?

The Nova launcher seems to work fine. I have not investigated all its settings yet. iPlayer. All4 and Chromecast seem fine.
  • I have simply disabled the Tesco apps in settings (is that what you meant ?) or do I need to go further and find a way of actually uninstalling them?

It's up to you whether you uninstall them. I uninstalled them, but then I wanted to recover the storage space.

I'm guessing disabling them will stop them using processing power, but not storage space.
  • Undervalued
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    It's up to you whether you uninstall them. I uninstalled them, but then I wanted to recover the storage space.

I'm guessing disabling them will stop them using processing power, but not storage space.

Is this Nova Launcher capable of uninstalling these supplied apps or do I need some other gizmo? Obviously I can't simply do it from settings.

Space isn't currently too much of an issue on my Hudl 1. I would get more benefit from uninstalling them on my Hudl 2. On that I don't get any performance issues (at least not bad enough to bother me) but I am short of space.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure