LED light bulbs

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    theboylard wrote: »
    Get your feet off the sofa!

That's the Oval Office!

Did you see the Daily Show with Trevor Noah? Very funny piece. He pointed out that she obviously never had or met a black grandma. If he'd put his shoes on the sofa, he wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week.

No youtube available sadly, but this sets the scene:

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/837010338981740545
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Before you chipped in others had said they'd tried them and found them to be fine.

Also, according to your lumens per watt requirement, the HB lamp I bought later was fine.

Again, specifications had not been provided at the time I was making assumptions about them.
    Yes you claimed they were no good, without any knowledge

And I repeat, specifically, I had been in a shop called Home Bargains, looking at LEDs, and they weren't any good! Is that not knowledge? How can I do any better, if people don't specify what they have?
    So if we don't say we've selected each individual lamp in relation to where we want to use it, you simply (and happily) assume we don't know what we are doing.

'I replaced a 45W spotlight with a 500 lumens LED from Screwfix, here's a link https://www.xyz' - is that so difficult?
    You happily stated they were no good before I could supply you with any information. And to be honest, your attitude stinks with this approach that I have to answer your questions, just to get you to stop posting lies about me.

If this is the issue, then I genuinely (I mean it) apologise. I've replied to so many LED threads, and other threads, where people ask questions without providing proper information. 'My Sony smart TV doesn't work' for example - this is unlikely to be answerable without a model number. I've answered threads in the past asking 'which LED' or 'is this LED any good to replace xyz' and you need to know what's being replaced to be able to answer correctly. I 'bet' straight away that you'd bought poor LEDs, and I should have given you a chance to provide the specs first.
    So you think it's ok to have a go at me, wrongly, whilst replying to somebody else?

Yes. I think it's OK to thank someone for mentioning info that others were refusing to provide. That's hardly having a go at you. I'm not whispering in his ear, I'm typing it on a public forum for all, including you, to read. And you called me a troll, so careful with the 'getting personal' accusations.
    I note that you still haven't advised on what your acceptable lamps would have been

I did, I said the screwfix one was fine just to stop you asking, but you're too busy typing to read. But one LED is not the answer to all problems, remember.
    I'm certain now that you never had any suggestions or helpful advice in mind from the start

Feel free to look through my post history where I have helped plenty of people with plenty of different problems. I don't troll. I certainly didn't just join this thread to have a pop, and resultant argument, with you. Just, I suppose, to point out to ALL readers, some advice that plenty of us take as obvious. Trust me, it's not.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the discussion on this Martyn. I'm now planning on taking a trip to Screwfix tomorrow to sort out my GU10s. Long story but the LEDS's I have are ever so slightly too thick around the rim for the wire holders. It looks like Screwfix have a suitable replacement which I wouldn't have thought about previously.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Thanks for the discussion on this Martyn. I'm now planning on taking a trip to Screwfix tomorrow to sort out my GU10s. Long story but the LEDS's I have are ever so slightly too thick around the rim for the wire holders. It looks like Screwfix have a suitable replacement which I wouldn't have thought about previously.

We've found that our GU10 fittings in the kitchen won't fit all lamps (or is it the other way around), so some GU10's are fractionally longer and the fitting won't screw back.

The B&Q ones fitted. But oddly, they are cool white, but when installed look more like warm white. But Wifey prefers them, so a bit of tactical swoping and we have a bright walkway/counters, with a 'warm atmospheric sink area.

Then found out a newbie on the Navitron forum lived nearby, so he popped round for a cuppa, and left with a free GU10 to test, as his wife prefers warm white to cool white, and these are something in-between .... we think.

Quick tip - always worth a look at Screwfix and Toolstation clearance (for anything, not just lamps), just pop clearance in the search. Tends to be a ton of stuff, but of course pure luck.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So you just assumed they were no good, but then you say you saw them in a shop, and they were no good.

Not again. I'm not assuming what I saw in Home Bargains. I saw those with my own eyes, they're junk. My assumption was about what you had bought, for which I have already apologised.
    Strange answer to a question asking you why you automatically assume we don't know what we are doing. Did you mix up your answers, or are you simply avoiding an answer?

This is a forum. People come on and ask questions. People give answers and share experience. That includes you, and me. Some people DO NOT know what they are doing. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't ask a lot of questions, but I do plenty of reading instead. Other people asking questions and having them answered correctly benefits me and other readers of the forum. Give them good information.
    1. I don't have to supply you with information to stop you bad mouthing me, you shouldn't have started in the first place

Accepted, and apologised for - I jumped too fast with my assumption.
    2. I had supplied the information.

No, you supplied it later - it took a long time to establish you'd bought an 806 lumens lamp from Screwfix, whilst all the time I was badmouthing Home Bargains lamps.
    3. Your claim was wrong, and you knew it was wrong before you posted the response

It was a bet, and as it turned out, it was wrong. Talk to a bookmaker about the nature of bets.
    4. Based on the lack of any information you have supplied, and the false claims made against myself, and the fact you made the same claims against Dave Fowler and Nige Wick 2 days ago, I'd say you are trolling this thread.

Untrue. And I'll take my lighting advice from people who can tell me how bright a light is, thanks.
    You firstly claimed that the Screwfix (and others) wouldn't be good enough

MAY NOT - my point is NO ONE can tell because information hadn't been provided.
    Or do you only know what a 'bad lamp' is, without being able to provide a 'good lamp' link. Quite ironic that your now 'promoting' the very lamps for which I was criticised.

I've seen and used bad ones - too white, and failing, either stopping completely, or flickering. eBay junk.
    But, if it will keep you happy, IKEA have some good LEDs these days, having started out with pretty substandard ones. They don't do B27 but do adaptors, if it's for a ceiling light. Here's one that will just about replace an 80/100W bulb - although angles/spread may be a problem:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/light-bulbs-accessories/ryet-led-bulb-e27-1000-lumen-globe-opal-white-art-60334171/

I'm not stuck on one single product that replaces everything well. LEDs are changing fast. I never claimed I'd recommend anything, but yes, putting people off bad (potentially) products is also helpful, in my opinion.
    Quite ironic that your now 'promoting' the very lamps for which I was criticised.

Isn't irony amazing? I criticised you not providing the information. It turns out the lamps were good.
  • mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    I bought 10 Screwfix ones about a month ago to replace the ceiling lights in my Kitchen (I needed 6).. absolutely delighted with them. They are bright and do the job. Funny when I bought them I said they would probably outlast me! After reading this thread maybe not :)
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    We've found that our GU10 fittings in the kitchen won't fit all lamps (or is it the other way around), so some GU10's are fractionally longer and the fitting won't screw back.

The B&Q ones fitted. But oddly, they are cool white, but when installed look more like warm white. But Wifey prefers them, so a bit of tactical swoping and we have a bright walkway/counters, with a 'warm atmospheric sink area.

Then found out a newbie on the Navitron forum lived nearby, so he popped round for a cuppa, and left with a free GU10 to test, as his wife prefers warm white to cool white, and these are something in-between .... we think.

Quick tip - always worth a look at Screwfix and Toolstation clearance (for anything, not just lamps), just pop clearance in the search. Tends to be a ton of stuff, but of course pure luck.

Brilliant. You've saved me. I've got exactly the same issue with my kitchen lights. A trip to B&Q has solved it. Cool Whites at 4.7w 345 lumens (4000k) and they fit perfectly and around £3 each. So thanks very much again.
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Brilliant. You've saved me. I've got exactly the same issue with my kitchen lights. A trip to B&Q has solved it. Cool Whites at 4.7w 345 lumens (4000k) and they fit perfectly and around £3 each. So thanks very much again.

Hiya. Do you think they are cool white, or slightly 'warmer'? We like ours but definitely a shade warmer .... so to speak.

Just wondering if it was a packaging, or batch issue, or if B&Q's suppliers have a different opinion on what is cool. :cool:

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    .... I've seen and used bad ones - too white, and failing, either stopping completely, or flickering. eBay junk.
    But, if it will keep you happy, IKEA have some good LEDs these days, having started out with pretty substandard ones. They don't do B27 but do adaptors, if it's for a ceiling light....

... doubt you'd find anyone with B27 LED bulbs in stock locally, probably find that the adaptors you mention are pretty rare too ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya. Do you think they are cool white, or slightly 'warmer'? We like ours but definitely a shade warmer .... so to speak.

Just wondering if it was a packaging, or batch issue, or if B&Q's suppliers have a different opinion on what is cool. :cool:

Not too sure. Definitely a lot bluer than the warm ones I was replacing (which I couldn't get to fit properly). But I don't have any other cools to compare them to. I think they are quite cold on the whole!
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family