Storage Heater Getting Too Hot ?...Hlp pls

thistledome
thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
Hello

Elderly relative has a Creda Storage heater (model no. 79164C) in the lounge which is usually v. hot to the touch, but not unbearably so. The other day it was incredibly hot, so hot I couldn't touch it and the uPVC window ledge above it is getting very brown. I opened my big gob and said it seemed too hot and the thermostat must be broken and elderly rellie has now turned it off completely and the room is only being heated with a portable halogen fire, which isn't enough.

I've had a look online but I could only find people saying their heater wasn't working. Apparently it should stop working if it gets too hot.

I've tried to get them to call in an electrician but they won't (long story).

I've looked online for spares for this model, but there doesn't seem to be a thermostat available, just a thermal fuse link (which seems to be the thing that should cut out if too hot) or a combined control assembly (whatever that is!).

Also, is replacing parts on these a DIY job? My husband is a competant DIY'er but obviously not a trained sparks.

I'm hoping richie from the boro sees this or someone else who know their stuff!

TIA
Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Hello

Elderly relative has a Creda Storage heater (model no. 79164C) in the lounge which is usually v. hot to the touch, but not unbearably so. The other day it was incredibly hot, so hot I couldn't touch it and the uPVC window ledge above it is getting very brown.

It sounds like the fusible link has been replaced by something unsuitable, and the thermostat has later failed.
    Both need replaced.
    It is a serious fire risk to operate it as it is.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How hot is too hot I wonder. My storage heaters at middle setting with the flaps shut get hot but bearable to touch. During extremely cold weather a couple of years ago I had the control knobs turned full on and they did get unbearably hot to touch.

Is turning the control knob down having no effect on the temperature reached by the heater?

I recall when first getting my storage heaters it was recommended that if children or infirm adults are around a guard should be fitted.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Spares should be available e.g here:-

http://www.storageheater.co.uk/Models/Creda/79144C.htm

I concur with the safety advice given above.

Have you tried turning the input control down to see if its working?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,642
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 February 2013 at 5:04PM
    That looks like the part. I have no experience of creda but on the dimplex the contacts of the input stat can spark weld closed causing overheat. The contacts can be flicked apart and the weld spots filed with a contact file or emery board and give many more years life. Is the overheat resettable, they do get v hot before it pops.
  • thistledome
    alanq wrote: »

Is turning the control knob down having no effect on the temperature reached by the heater?

The controls were turned down to 0, but they'd only been turned down an hour or so before I got there, so a bit hard to tell.
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Spares should be available e.g here:-

http://www.storageheater.co.uk/Models/Creda/79144C.htm

Already looked and have asked question about spares in my O.P.
    molerat wrote: »
    Is the overheat resettable, they do get v hot before it pops.

I don't think it's resettable.

Thanks for replies.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • penrhyn
    Forumite
    You said you could not find the thermostat, it costs £53 from the supplier I identified. Its called the combined control.
  • Ada3050
    Ada3050 Posts: 227
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    It sounds like the fusible link has been replaced by something unsuitable, and the thermostat has later failed.
    Both need replaced.
    It is a serious fire risk to operate it as it is.

Good advice given here. :T
    Know the difference between what you WANT and what you NEED. :T
  • thistledome
    penrhyn wrote: »
    You said you could not find the thermostat, it costs £53 from the supplier I identified. Its called the combined control.

I've looked online for spares for this model, but there doesn't seem to be a thermostat available, just a thermal fuse link (which seems to be the thing that should cut out if too hot) or a combined control assembly (whatever that is!).

Is changing one of these a DIY job or not? (competant DIY'er not a random div).
  • penrhyn
    Forumite
    Its called a combined control because it consists of both the input thermostat and the output flap control bimetal device.
    It should be a job that could be tackled by a competent DIYer, although I'd probably want to do a PAT test after any work.
  • - weather dependant, it should be too hot to touch
    - weather dependant if you can touch it without it burning you, its not hot enough
    - red or yellow penrhyn's fusible link is the correct one
    - penrhyn's combined control statement is correct - input stat & output flap control
    - used to be the case but no longer recommended under a window, moving it is a DIY doddle
    - if you decide to move it from the window and its power supply postpone to the warmer weather.

Now that fusible link should have blown if its as you describe too hot. Yes its a DIY job and a doddle providing that's all it is - the caveat is because you won't have access to a megga you won't be able to offline test the elements. However the elements are clearly not the issue. If I was doing it I've got the kit and the knowledge, if someone else without either was doing it I'd say bite the bullet pay for and get the combined plus a thermal fuse that way its a 100% replacement of everything [other than elements] that can ever go wrong in a night storage heaters 100 year lifespan.

Before you spend money on a sparky, go round [E7 not E10] at 2200-2300 and test at that time of the night, it could still be soddin' hot but not at that point able to burn you. Or turn the input down 50% and wait a day or even two days - does it cool now ?

If it doesn't cool down the the input stat is the best bet, the fuselink is just there to protect the dwelling if the stat goes open. If that's the case the fuselink may also have welded [heard about them doing this - never seen one myself] easy way to find out is to buy a fuselink in advance, pull the old fuselink out, replace with the new, switch on and re-test. However if it is overheating its liable to be the input stat

To do that test without a megga you'll need to divorce the switch from the 20a ring, supply a jury rig 13a with a 13a fuse, and pull out all but one of the 850W elements. That way it will run on daytime supply without pulling too much from the 13a supply ring.

NOTE : Are you sure the cold AP hasn't just turned it full belt ?, in which case it will behave exactly as you say it is, and exactly as I say it should, especially as its under a window !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure