PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Anzac biscuits - a quick easy flapjacky kind of biscuit.

Melt together
    5 oz butter
    6oz sugar
    1 tbsp golden syrup

Add and mix well
    3 oz coconut
    4oz oats
    3 oz self-raising flour

Drop heaped teaspoons of mixture onto 3 greased baking trays.You should get about 12 on each.

Bake at 180c/gas 4 for 10-12 mins until golden brown round the edges.
    Leave on the trays for about 10 mins to harden before lifting them off with a palette knife.
  • Super Spag Bol

Fry onions and add mince. Stick in some mushrooms too if desired. When mince is brown add a can of tomatoes, squeeze of tomato puree, splash of lea & perrins, plenty of garlic powder (to taste), a teaspoon of sugar, oregano, mild chilli powder to taste, a crushed beef stock cube, s&p and some red wine. Thicken with a bit of cornflour if needed.

Pour over cooked spaghetti and serve with grated cheese on the top.
    £4000 challenge

Currently leftover - £3872.15
  • sunnth
    sunnth Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chicken breasts chopped into chunks (I found 3 fed 5 of us easily)
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
    approximately 10 crackers(or breadcrumbs)
    chicken seasoning

1 Mix the egg with the mustard and set aside.
    2 crush the crackers in a bag with a rolling pin until crumbs or use breadcrumbs. I used an assortment of crackers from the remainder of a crackers for cheese box.
    3. Add a heaped tsp of chicken seasoning to crackers and shake to mix.
    3 put about 5 pieces of chicken into the egg mustard mix then into the cracker bag and shake to coat.
    4. place on a lightly greased baking tray and repeat until all the chicken has been used.
    5. bake at gas 7 220c for about 20 minutes.

The coating tastes very like kfc but a little less spicy, perfect for kids and much healthier.
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    (Note the quantities are rough approximations as the original recipe uses "1 cup" etc so ive converted them using a 1950's cookbook i have which shows the measurement conversions.. they worked for me yesterday though so shouldnt be a problem!)

Ingredients

8oz self raising flour
    4oz Margarine (Stork is best)
    4oz Caster sugar
    3oz Sultanas
    2oz Chopped/quartered Walnuts
    1/3 pint of milk
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon bicarb

Method

1/ Put the Milk, Marg, sugar, sultanas and walnuts into a pan and bring to the boil. (Stir regulary to stop sticking/burning)

2/Allow mixture to cool for a little.... then add the egg and beat well.

3/ Sift in the flour and bicarb

4/ Bake at 180 degrees (not sure of gas mark sorry!) for 1 hour.
  • purpleimp
    purpleimp Posts: 189 Forumite
    Take 2 onions chop and fry till soft, add some garlic to taste, add 1-2 chopped red peppers and fry off, then add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of tomato puree, mix through and add chicken stock( or veg to suit dietery requirements) leave to bubble for a while, attack with a stick blender and serve with a dollop of yoghurt. ............. really tasty!
  • abi113
    abi113 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Sausage Casserole with basil and cherry tomatoes

12 pork and leek sausages
    2 slices of smoked bacon - chopped
    500g cherry toms - keep whole
    a pack of celery tenderhearts - cut into 1-2cm bits
    9 shillots - keep whole
    250ml veg stock
    dried basil - 1tbsp?!

1. Brown sausages in a frying pan then transfer into a casserole dish
    2. Using the same frying pan , gently fry the shillots, celery and bacon. then add to the casserole dish
    3. Add the washed toms, stock and basil to the casserole dish and mix round
    4. Cook in the oven for 1-1.5 hrs on 180 or on low in the SC for 6-8 hrs

Serves 4 approx depending on the amount of sausages you want but the veg is quite bulky .
    It has tons of flavour which I wouldn't of really expected due to the only liquid being veg stock. No salt required
  • abi113
    abi113 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Slow Cooked beef Goulash - very tasty

Ingredients
    800g (1 3/4 lb) beef stewing steak/braising steak
    2 tbsp seasoned flour
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
    150ml (1/4 pint) beef stock
    400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 bouquet garni
    salt and pepper to taste
    142ml (1/4 pint) soured cream or natural yoghurt

Method
    1. Coat the meat in the seasoned flour
    2. In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil and fry the steak until lightly browned.
    3. Add the onion and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
    4. Add the stock, tomatoes, paprika, tomato puree and bouquet garni, season to taste. Bring to the boil.
    5. Transfer goulash mixture into your slow cooker stoneware. Cook on low for approx 6-8 hours or high for approx 3-4 hours.
    6. To serve, pour soured cream or yoghurt over the goulash.
    Serve with rice or mash and veg

Serves about 5-6 I make one batch and its enough for a partner with hollow legs and myself - for two nights , with some left for the babies.

Enjoy
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    beef and paprika

need: braising steak or stewing beef
    tin of chopped tomatoes
    one onion chopped
    paprika
    flour
    oil
    water
    pasta/spaghetti

cut beef into cubes, cover with flour, fry in little oil for a few mins until sealed. add chopped onions and fry for a few mins more. can add garlic if you have it or want to,

in another saucepan, add tin of chopped tomatoes, and half a tin of water, add tablespoon of paprika. put on low heat. add the meat and onions, simmer on low heat for 1.5/2 hours.

serve with spaghetti!

delicious
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Healthy Flapjack type biscuits (dead easy!)

Just made a batch of these biscuits, which I make VERY often, as they 'hide' lots of good stuff I find difficult to get into at least one of my children...thought someone might like the recipe - ideal for lunch boxes as well as after school snack:-

8oz oats
    6 oz butter or margerine
    2 to 3 oz sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
    2 oz dessicated or shredded coconut
    1 good handful of crushed cornflakes (ideal way of using up the powdery bits at the bottom of the box)
    1 heaped tablespoon of wheatgerm
    1 heaped tablespoon of crushed seeds (I use a mix of linseed, sunflower, sesame and poppy...I grind a potful at a time and keep in fridge for easy use)

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, add everything and stir well, press down into lined flat tin, cook at 190 deg for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending how brown and crispy you like them).

Very easy to make when you've got time and then leave them until you put the oven on for dinner before cooking.

Eat and enjoy!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Beef Loaf
    1lb lean minced beef
    1/2lb sausage meat
    I chopped onion
    1oz fresh breadcrumbs
    1 Tbsp each of: tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce (could substitute ketchup and brown sauce ;) )
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    pepper
    1 egg, beaten

Line a 1½ lb loaf tin with foil.
    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl then press mixture lightly inot the prepared tin and cover with foil.

If you like you can freeze it at this point; it can be defrosted overnight in the fridge.

Put in the preheated oven, 180C/350F/Gas 4, for 1 to 1½ hrs or until the loaf shrinks from the sides of the tin. Serve hot or cold. Serves 4-6.

~ I alter it sometimes by substituting the sausagemeat for bacon bits (you can buy those cheaply in supermarkets.

~ you can eke out the meat by substituting mushrooms/carrots

~ you can add a "topping" of cheesy mashed potato before cooking (add grated cheese to the mash and some mustard instead of butter ) :drool:
    Other additions for a mashed potato topping: sub the minced beef for minced pork and add apple sauce to make the mash instead of butter; add a teaspoon of horseradish to the mash for a beef loaf; add some rosemary to a loaf made with minced lamb.

~ alter the seasonings you use to give a meatloaf a different touch: chopped chillies give it a pleasant "kick" ;):D

~ alter the mince from beef to lamb/pork/turkey but keep an eye on the cooking times and test the centre with a metal skewer to see if it comes out "clean" and the juices run clear to be certain it's cooked thoroughly.

Once you know the basics, you can adapt and alter the recipe to suit your personal preferences and experiment to make the recipe uniquely yours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills