PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• For 1 (so multiply up for more ;-) )
    Boil 2oz spaghetti
    Fry up any sad veggies chopped up (this is brill recipe for sad lettuce, left over salad or 1/2 bag stir fry vegs on the reduced to clear shelf)
    Add any protein you like eg. few prawns or 1/2 tin tuna or handful cashews (ok probs not baked beans)
    Stir in spaghetti plus 1 dessert spoon soya plus 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • This recipe I have used many many times and it is to die for!!!

INGREDIENTS
    4 Large Onions
    8 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour (plain)
    750 ml beef stock
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup brandy
    1 teaspoon bovril, oxo or any beef extract

TOPPING
    french stick
    gruyere cheese
    parmesan cheese

METHOD
    Melt the butter in a large pot. Add finely sliced onions and sweat until soft.
    Cut slices of french stick and taost them, set aside
    Sprinkle soft onions with flour and stir it in really well. This is what thickens your soup. Add 2 cups of beef stock and stir well until thickened. Then add rest of stock, salt pepper and brandy. Bring soup to boiling point. Cover pot turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Add bovril and taste for seasoning.

SERVING
    Place soup in bowls. Cover with a handfull of gruyere cheesethen put toasted bread on top. drizzle with olive oil and parmesan then place under grill to melt cheese.

Personally the salt content in this recipe I thought was a bit too much, so I taste seasoningf BEFORE adding anything else, especially as bovril extract is being used. I have also tried this recipe without the beef ingredients but it just doesn't work. Nor does it work without the brandy!!!
  • 1 carton yoghurt
    1 1/2 cartons sugar
    1 carton vegetable oil
    1 carton self raising flour
    3 eggs

Mix all ingredients together really well. pour into lined cake tin and bake at 180oc - 190oc for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

The yoghurt tub is an easy way to measure for this cake. what ever size or tub you use is tha standard for ALL the ingredients. If using a large tube, you may need to add an extra egg.
  • Apple and oat muffins

1 cup plain flour
    3 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    3/4 cup oats
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup oil (do not use olive oil)
    1/3 cup milk
    2/3 cup stewed apples, apple sauce or apple pie filling (I use lidl applesauce)

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients together seperately. Roughly combine the two mixes until it has just mixed and no more. The mix should be lumpy, it makes a better muffin. Pour mix into lined muffin tray and bake at 190oc or gas mark 5 for 20 mins or until risen and nicely browned. Allow to cool on rack before storing (if you have any left!!)

Makes approx 6 - 12 muffins depending on size of muffin tray used.

Scrummy warmed in the micro for breakfast :)
  • 1 cup plain flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup melted butter or marg
    1 egg

Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients together. Combine wet and dry ingredients roughly (just enough to mix and no more, lumpy mix makes better muffins ;) )

Bake at 190oc for 15 or 20 minutes depending on your oven these temps may need slightly longer. I just judge by when they are nicely browned and risen.

Good combos for muffins are: blueberries, banana, cheese, maple syrup. (Not all together mind!! :rotfl: ) Anything you like really just as long as you follow the basic rules for mixing.
  • First find a cup that holds 8 fl oz of liquid(a US cup measure)

Grease a shallow baking dish - about 9'' by 13''

Sift together
    1 cup plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    ⅔ cup sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa

add
    ½ cup milk
    2 tbsp melted butter or marge
    1 tsp vanilla extract(optional)

Mix until just smooth,then spoon into the baking dish.

Mix together
    4 tbsp cocoa
    1 cup soft brown sugar(light or dark)

Sprinkle over batter in dish.
    Pour over all 1 ½ cups of just-boiled water - DO NOT STIR

Bake for 40 mins at 180c
    Serve warm with whipped cream......yummmy
    When it's cooked there will be a thick fudgy sauce a the bottom of the pudding and a cakey bit on top. It's nice with some instant coffee(about a dessert spoon) added to the cocoa and sugar bit. ;)

Recipe originally taken from Cooking From Quilt Country by Marcia Adams
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lemon Coconut Slice

1 cup plain flour
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1/4 cup sugar
    90g butter, chopped
    Finely grated rind of 2 lemons

LEMON FILLING
    395g tin condensed milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Juice of 2 lemons

COCONUT TOPPING
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    2 1/2 cups shredded coconut

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line the base & sides of a slice tray with baking paper.
    2. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the coconut & sugar, then add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly. Add the lemon rind and toss to combine. Press mixture into the prepared tin and cook for 15 minutes. Remove tin from oven, stand on wire rack and leave to cool.
    3. To make lemon filling: Put the condensed milk in a bowl, add the lemon juice & beaten eggs until well combined. Pour over cooled base and spread over evenly.
    4. To make Coconut Topping: Put the sugar, eggs and vanilla into large bowl and beat with electric beaters until mixture increases in volume and is thick and pale yellow. Add coconut & mix well. Spoon it over the milk mixture, and use 2 forks to spread it out evenly.
    5. Return slice to oven. Cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Stand on wire rack until cold. Cut into squares.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 27 July 2009 at 2:50PM
    This is one of the most delicious dishes I know. It is adapted from Jocasta Innes' Pauper's Cookbook.

2hrs cooking, serves 4-6

Slice a medium potato per person into thin slices(about 2mm thick)
    Slice one large onion(or 2 small ones!)
    Chop up some bacon or ham - 1 rasher per person is what I ususally use,but it depends on how much you can spare.

Make a basic white sauce,add cheese if you want(I do).
    Sauce - melt a tbsp butter,add a tbsp flour cook until sandy in texture(a roux).Gradually stir in about half a pint of milk.Stir until thickens.

In a deep,greased oven-proof dish layer the potatoes,onion and bacon,season with pepper(no salt because of the bacon)
    When you have put half the ingredients in,pour on half the sauce.
    Continue with the layers,ending with potato.
    Pour on the rest of the sauce.

Bake in the oven at 200c covered for 1 hour.Then take of the lid and bake for a further hour at 180c.

It's easy to increase/decrease quantities for this dish.The long cooking is the secret.
    I serve it with carrots and a green veg.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    BLACK FOREST TRIFLE you need 1 black cherry or blackcurrant jelly pref black cherry, 1 tin mortons black cherry pie filling, 1 choc swiss roll, 2 ski black cherry yoghurts, 1/2pint double cream, grated choc or choc flake for top. slice swiss roll, put in bottom of a dish, make up jelly as normal leave to cool, add yoghurts and pie filling to jelly and stir, pour gently over swiss roll, put in fridge to set. Whip cream spread on top and sprinkle on grated choc or crushed flake. STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM. 11/2 pound soft strawberrys, 11/2pound sugar with pectin, 3tbsp lemon juice lightly mash berries,put all in a bowl, stir occasionaly, leave covered till sugar has dissolved. put in containers will keep in freezer 9 months but keep in fridge when thawed lovely over icecream just as good with raspberries
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cut slashes across top of chicken breasts [not all way through] and fill with either grated cheddar and chopped ham or grated Double Gloucester and chopped nuts [walnuts is one I've done it with] Wrap in foil and bake in oven for 20 mins or until chicken cooked through
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure