PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Well the title says it all really lol does anyone have a good hot and tastey beef madras reciep for a slow cooker please.

Thanks

Emma
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • I think the one I use from a Pat Chapman book would work very well in a slow cooker, especially with good stewing steak.

Brown the (diced) beef in a little oil and then set aside. Slice a whole onion and fry in the oil left from the beef.

If you don't have all the spices don't worry, improvise and substitute, if you have, all well and good.

(Recipe based on around 500g meat).

4 dry red chillies (more if you like heat)
    1/2 tsp black pepper (ditto above)
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (ditto above)
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 green cardamoms.

Brown the onions and then reduce the heat and add the spices, be careful not to burn them as the curry will taste foul if you do, cook for 5-10 minutes. Add a tin of tomatoes and 2 tbps tomato puree and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.

Then simply add the whole lot into the slow cooker, adding salt to taste, cook until the beef is tender. A little while before serving you may want to add a squeeze of lime juice, a tsp of garam masala and a desert spoon of methi/fenugreek leaves, and a knob of ghee or butter immediately before serving.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    any curry recipe will be lovely in the SC
    I must admit though that when doing curries I do make it in the pan up to the point all ingredients are added then bung it into the SC and leave on low,
    works great for chille too icon7.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad wrote:
    any curry recipe will be lovely in the SC
    I must admit though that when doing curries I do make it in the pan up to the point all ingredients are added then bung it into the SC and leave on low,
    works great for chille too icon7.gif

I agree, I tend to find the spices taste raw and bitter if they are not cooked off in a bhoona style first.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya :)

This would be a good thread to merge into our main Slow Cooker Recipe thread to help make it easier to index and so that much easier for people to find later, so bear with me a minute and I'll get it done :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I'm considering buying myself a slow cooker but all the recipies i've found look to be far too much. I'm a single guy wanting to move off microwave meals. I don't want to spend an hour in the kitchen when I come home to make a meal so I thought a slow cooker might be better, 10-15 mins in the moring and ready for when I come home. I'm a bit of a cooking virgin (bean on toast about my limit).
    I don't know nothing about the weight of meat i'd have to buy to feed myself. Most recipes look like they would feed a small army. What kind of measurements would I be looking to use for feeding 1, maybe with having another portion left for the next day.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't bother halving recipes, I would just make it as normal and freeze leftovers in your serving size in containers and put them in the freezer. Ready made meals for busy days.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Sorry if i sound a bit green, i've never really done any cooking. If i make things and then freeze them how do I go about reheating them? Let them defrost and then zap then in the microwave for 3 mins or something?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, that's about it :)

Take the stuff out of the freezer and allow it to defrost in the fridge while you are at work. If it needs more defrosting when you get home just follow the guidelines in your microwave instruction book to finish it off.

When reheating the advice is to ensure that the food is reheated thoroughly, i.e. that ALL the food is piping hot. That's to over 72°C.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Can anyone give me a recipe for vegetable soup to make in the slow cooker? I have looked in the slow cooker recipe index but cannot find one.

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport