EnergyHive Query

Options
Ok, So I`d like to get the EnergyHive system for remote monitoring of generation and usage.

Only issue is my inverter/consumer box/TGM etc is all in my garage, my router is in the downstairs living room.....does the EnergyHive hub require to be plugged in to the router or does it connect to my router wirelessly?

Cheer guys :)
3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:

Comments

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have no idea about the hive itself but if it is not wireless you could buy a cheap wireless access point (or old wireless router with LAN ports on the back) and use that to convert your wired device into a wireless one. Only problem is that you have yet another 7W or so running 24/7 and "costing" about 10kWh per year to run...
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this the same as the Hive system I use for my central heating? If so the hub needs a power supply and to plug directly into the router. It then connects wirelessly to the boiler control and the thermostat. I've not come across any Hive products that monitor inverters?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Energyhive monitor is different to Hive - not compatible.

Energeno, the company behind the Wattson display, went bust.

I don't know what the state of play is?
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, I also have Hive Heating, very happy with it and use it often.
    OK so pinnks I noticed yesterday a LAN connection on the bottom of my inverter (maybe I don`t need EnergyHive after all?).
    You mentioned a wireless access point, I currently already have :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XYEPLXU/ref=s9_acsd_cdeal_hd_bw_bT8fXD_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=RDW5ZXKCS6QT0K3HCK7Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b3feaa0d-033b-5337-8eca-7e191d6c8740&pf_rd_i=430580031

this in my garage. I use it as a wifi signal booster but it too has a LAN connection on it.
    Am I right in thinking I could put a ethernet cable between the two to get my Inverter speaking to my wifi. Even then I still would need some sort of dashboard to view the info?
    Apologies for my lack of techie stuff :(
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:
  • phsci
    phsci Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    shavy65 wrote: »
    does the EnergyHive hub require to be plugged in to the router or does it connect to my router wirelessly?

The EnergyHive hub does need to be plugged to your router but the meter reading detectors (clamps or pulse counters) connect wirelessly with your hub. My hub is upstairs in my study but monitors are in the garage: one for the total generation meter and one for the DNO's revenue meter. When I acquired the hub, I was already using a couple of Current Cost Envirs, both fitted with Optismart pulse counters, and they share the signal wirelessly from the detectors with the hub. There is some confusing info on the Current Cost web site that states that “OptiSmart is not compatible with PV/micro generation”. This is not true; they work fine with my Landis & Gyr E110 meters.
  • Stephanie250394
    Options
    It gets plugged in to your WiFi as I have it pain the the rectum though as it eats the WiFi
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Stephanie, do you mind telling me how much it cost for all the required equipment?
    Cheers.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 July 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    My Wattson Solar Plus with Easifit, plus 1 x Optiplug, is for sale if anyone wants it?
    That's the display unit, the hub (Energyhive version) and TX Transmitter, CT clamps and Y cable.

The hub dangles off the end of a network cable plugged into your network and has a mains adapter. The hub is what communicates with the CT clamp that you fix round your mains and inverter cables and the Wattson display unit. - the clamps just clip round the cables, no cutting, sticking or glueing required!

Make me an offer :)
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure