Best Premier Current Accounts Article Discussion Area

Comments

• The_Only_Golden_Boy
    The_Only_Golden_Boy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May 2013 at 12:35PM
    jpbamford wrote: »
    I have Barclays Premier Life account costs me £17.50 pm (not £29), and Overdraft of nor than the £1000 free is 14.9% not 19.3%.
    I've got stacks of extended warranties, and claimed a few time too - it covers accidental damage too - with great service (not mentioned in the Account Analyser!). Both our cars covered by RAC (used that too when battery went flat!). Never had to use the travel insurance (touches wood...), but use our airport lounge access credits for our summer holiday.
    Also get free entry to English Heritage and Royal Academy (also not mentioned in the Analyser). Cards covered with CPP now not card secure.
    All together great value I think.

We have had a Barclay's Premier Account for about 6 years now with all of the above benefits. I am now 71 and the travel Insurance is available until you reach 79. As we have over £50000 invested in Barclay's products we pay £17.50 per month. I believe that this is good value as it would cost us more than the annual fee £210 for just the RAC European cover, Worldwide Travel Insurance, Mobile phone, Gadget Insurance and Card cover. The other benefits are a bonus. We also have a Santander 123 account that pays 3% p.a. on up to £20000. The original Premier bundled account is no longer available, you have to purchase addons that will cost more than the current monthly fee. But I agree good value account.
  • justdel
    justdel Posts: 1 Newbie
    On the article about packaged accounts there is no mention of the Cooperative bank's privilege acoount which seems reasonable value to me.
  • Mulligan1
    Mulligan1 Posts: 141 Forumite
    We have had a Barclay's Premier Account for about 6 years now with all of the above benefits. I am now 71 and the travel Insurance is available until you reach 79. As we have over £50000 invested in Barclay's products we pay £17.50 per month. I believe that this is good value as it would cost us more than the annual fee £210 for just the RAC European cover, Worldwide Travel Insurance, Mobile phone, Gadget Insurance and Card cover. The other benefits are a bonus. We also have a Santander 123 account that pays 3% p.a. on up to £20000. The original Premier bundled account is no longer available, you have to purchase addons that will cost more than the current monthly fee. But I agree good value account.

My Dad has that account and makes great use of the benefits, he is going away next Saturday and will certainly be having a meal in the Escape Lounge!
  • mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    justdel wrote: »
    On the article about packaged accounts there is no mention of the Cooperative bank's privilege acoount which seems reasonable value to me.

The Cooperative have made the decision to stop offering fee paying accounts, therefore this account is no longer available to new customers. I'd imagine this is why it's no longer included in the article.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • mrchiggles wrote: »
    I have this too, it's very good value if you use it. They don't sell it anymore though so the tool is right that to get similar sorts of benefits now you have to spend a lot more - let's hope they don't withdraw it from existing customers!

I didn't know about the extended warranty covering accidental damage - we replaced our whole kitchen so put the lot on the warranty so will bear that in mind if the young mrchiggles decides to sit on the dishwasher door again!

I have a Barclays Additions Active Joint Account which has Worldwide Multi-Trip Family Travel Insurance, Mobile Phone Insurance (£1000 each Phone), Gadget Insurance (up to £750 per Item), Comprehensive RAC Breakdown Cover, Cardholder Protection Insurance, Free Will Writing Service (changeable once a year for free), Extended Warranty, all for £15 a month good value for money.
  • selimap
    selimap Posts: 28 Forumite
    I'm surprised you don't recommend this. I pay £2 a month and I get at least double that back on rebates on direct debits. I've no idea how the can give me up to 3% back on a utility payment or a telecoms bill or my council tax, but who's arguing?

Then I get 3% interest on £20,000 which is probably about 1.25% more than I'd get on it anywhere else for instant access, so that's worth around £250 a year on its own. For a £24 annual fee.
  • My wife and I have had a joint account with Lloyds for several years. We get free Worldwide travel insurance (useful at my age - 78) and AA breakdown cover. No fee, but we have to keep a minimum balance of £2,000 in the account always. We have always reckoned it to be a bargain !
  • This seemed the ideal account offering family holiday insurance including under 80s.
    I was dashed to discover I am unable to open this account directly but have to open a classic account and then upgrade - which could take up to two months! We travel in one month.
    I have applied and hope my credit worthiness allows for it to be pushed through earlier.
    From the website (which I appreciate immensely, I always start with your guidance) on travel insurance this lead-in time is not indicated.
  • Tropi
    Tropi Posts: 6 Forumite
    MSE quote Nationwide FlexPlus Acount as paying 3% on accounts in credit.
    Only partially true - it is limited to only £2,500 credit.

This makes a big difference to a decision which originally looked as though the account would pay for itself with £4,000 credit (OK maybe £5,000 including tax deducted at source). But as max interest is actually 3% of £2,500 = £75 a year, interest cannot cover the monthly charges.
  • phiilric wrote: »
    My wife and I have had a joint account with Lloyds for several years. We get free Worldwide travel insurance (useful at my age - 78) and AA breakdown cover. No fee, but we have to keep a minimum balance of £2,000 in the account always. We have always reckoned it to be a bargain !

Out of interest which account is this that still gives free travel insurance past age 75?
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport