Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Presumably, they asked you to model for it? :D:D

Ha, doubt if they've got enough self-raising :rotfl:
  • f.o.d.
    f.o.d. Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Me too, I can't stand a gaudy food item, probably due to the fact that we have a lot of travellers in the family.

Travellers as well, eh?

Welsh, Swedish, Indian, British, disabled, and now romanies. They tick every box, your family. Are you still emigrating, by the way? You did say you were going "in June"

Something about this country was being too nasty towards your disabled wife.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 1:00PM
    Options
    I have started my lovely six months of gardening leave, our move is just three weeks away now which is very exciting, especially when you pretend for a few moments that you don't have half a home left to pack away!
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    I wish to thank the OP; this thread kept me entertained during night feeds.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting costs and using a cheaper baker/florist/hair and makeup artist or nail tech/buying a knockoff dress from China as long as you are realistic in your expectations. Although, obviously, its not always a case of buy cheap, buy twice, in most cases, you will not get anything like the quality of fabric/products/craftsmanship that you would by going to a reputable professional.

Being spiteful and nasty in any social media accounts opens yourself up to the possibility of a lovely libel claim.

Yes, there probably was a failure of customer service in not phoning to tell you, but you took your chances and chose to use a hobbyist. Aa a rough breakdown, each tier cost £75 and you've been offered £80. Either take the money or ask for more.

Seriously, stop being such a bridezilla and let yourself enjoy life with your new husband. You can buy a cake any time, but you won't get these early days back.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    What's it worth now?

The photos and memories are priceless.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    £300 for a cake?? I'm in the wrong job..!

I made one tier of the cake or my sister's wedding - it cost me around £40 just for the ingredients. admittedly that was a fruit cake, so more expensive than if you have sponge. but I would guess for a professional baker there is more pressure if it is not a fruit cake, as they don't keep as well so you have to make it closer to the time and with less chance to correct errors, and of course fruitcake is much better as a construction material if you want something that will bear the weight of your cieing and decoration!

Obviously I wasn't charging my sister andbrother in law, but if you were doing it professionally, you'd factor in the cost of your time and equipment as well as the ingredients, plus a margin for profit, and it adds up pretty fast!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I made one tier of the cake or my sister's wedding - it cost me around £40 just for the ingredients. admittedly that was a fruit cake, so more expensive than if you have sponge. but I would guess for a professional baker there is more pressure if it is not a fruit cake, as they don't keep as well so you have to make it closer to the time and with less chance to correct errors, and of course fruitcake is much better as a construction material if you want something that will bear the weight of your cieing and decoration!

Obviously I wasn't charging my sister andbrother in law, but if you were doing it professionally, you'd factor in the cost of your time and equipment as well as the ingredients, plus a margin for profit, and it adds up pretty fast!

Chocolate can be really expensive too - I spent around £15 just on chocolate for the last ganache covered cake I made (again just a single tier).
  • groovy_chick
    groovy_chick Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wedding day was very warm, the cake started to collapse so we just removed the pillars and placed the 2nd tier directly on top of the bottom tier - it looked fine and no-one noticed or cared. It did not cross my mind to blame the cake-maker for the weather!!

I would have happily have just put the top tier on a stand and cut that - like other posters have said, your Marriage is so much more important than your Wedding.
    Proud to be debt-free 30/6/2020

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    readingfan wrote: »
    LOL - one man's meat and all that - I think that is beyond hideous.

So why waste your time posting:cool:
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure