PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Where is everyone? A mad flurry post Christmas and now it's all gone quiet, I can only assume everyone has reached their target except me :(

I still need to work at reducing the amount in the freezers only because I attempt to grow my own fruit and veg and I need freezer space once the 'harvest' starts so I still need to post on a regular basis.

In:- 3 loaves of bread, milk and the remains of a KFC bargain box.
    Out:- freezer - venison steaks, leeks, frozen berries.
    cupboards - jelly, gravy, stock cubes, caster sugar, icing sugar (I'm making meringues later.
    the rest is from the fridge. :)

No, I haven't but I have been elsewhere and slightly less focussed on this. I am going to try and reduce my meat-mountain this month...

I have been reading and enjoying. I probably need to do another freezer audit but I don't quite feel up to it at the moment, with so much to do in the garden and a major project in the offing. Sorry, I know what you mean.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May 2017 at 11:59AM
    Good to hear from everyone, I'm a bit like Suffolk Lass life gets in the way of posting, once the Spring/Summer arrives although the weather would have us believe otherwise.

Frogletina I do like your thoughts on seeing how long you can stay away from the shops. Can I join you in your 'mini challenge' as it will then mean I will have to use what I have and be inventive if I run out of something and seeing as this is the first of May it seems appropriate to start today.

Primrose. There are quite a few us us who try to grow things, some - (but not me) - are reasonably self sufficient over the summer. If you are interested have a look at the thread

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another one MIA due to various visitors but "normality" resumed today!
    In: nothing though I do need to go through my fridge and freeze stuff
    Out: 2 slices of stuffed turkey thigh
    Used up: A roll, a big wodge of cucumber and the end of a block of cheddar
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Frogletina I do like your thoughts on seeing how long you can stay away from the shops. Can I join you in your 'mini challenge' as it will then mean I will have to use what I have and be inventive if I run out of something and seeing as this is the first of May it seems appropriate to start today.

Please do, it will be good to have someone to keep me on the straight and narrow. I'm not counting the food I bought while out at the Mayday festival today, as eating out goes under a different budget.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Hello it has been a while still trying to work through the freezers although I have seemed to have bought extras to fill the gaps!

So this thread keeps me honest:-)

Nothing in or out today as I made a roast yesterday for the the meat lover and the vegetarian;-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In: nothing
    Out: small tub of cous cous, portion of spaghetti
    Use up: cottage cheese, an end of a cucumber, a small courgette, mushrooms, a sprouting onion and baby plum tomatoes
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi. Been awol a bit. Not too much raw material gone into the freezer, but I turned 500g mince into 10 portions of bolognaise to fill space:D

Also one whole chicken pot roasted and rubberised. Two portions of Rogan Josh back in after about 3 meals worth of bits.

Out tonight - 2 chicken and mushroom casserole, 2arrabiatta sauce and 5 meatballs for tomorrow night. Ice cream:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Frogletina wrote: »
    Please do, it will be good to have someone to keep me on the straight and narrow. I'm not counting the food I bought while out at the Mayday festival today, as eating out goes under a different budget.

frogletina

Thanks, I'm just going to count going to the shops for food, toiletries and eating out not counted. I shall try to make the cleaning stuff last as well, anything in fact to keep me out of going near food shops.

OUT:- Lunch from fridge, Dinner;-1 piece of gammon for DH dinner and smoked haddock for mine, all vegetables from fridge.
    IN:- nothing
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, I'm just going to count going to the shops for food, toiletries and eating out not counted. I shall try to make the cleaning stuff last as well, anything in fact to keep me out of going near food shops.

OUT:- Lunch from fridge, Dinner;-1 piece of gammon for DH dinner and smoked haddock for mine, all vegetables from fridge.
    IN:- nothing

Today I have had left over pizza from festival, coleslaw two days past its date, cheese straws from festival and a raw carrot!

I forgot about having no potatoes and I will find it hard to go without any. I only have two eggs, and I eat a lot of them usually. I need to get creative.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I'd like to join in please. I have a chest freezer and an american fridge freezer both freezers are full. I also have a cupboard under teh stairs which I use for extra dry goods and that too is so stocked that things keep falling off the shelf !!

Definately need to do an inventory and doing this in connection with the Grocery challenge will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback