General benefits questions

Hi could someone please help as I cant research this information myself as I am suffering from a third mental breakdown since I started getting bullied in work in Feb 2015.

I have severe psychosis where I have voices telling me to do unpleasant things in order to prevent a nuclear war. In the past the psychosis has lasted over a year and then went away and I don't know what's going to happen this time.

I have approx. £22k in savings. I know that ESA depends on your savings. Can someone tell me how it works when you have savings? Do you use up £70 per week until you have reached £16k and then they start paying you eg £10 per week and you use £60 of your savings. Then when you reach £14k they pay you £20 per week and you withdraw £50 of your savings, etc? Is that how it works?

Also I think I'm entitled to PIP due to the severity of my mental illness but I've never claimed it. Would anyone have any info on it?

Sorry I can't research this myself but I'm still hearing voices and having psychotic thoughts. Thank you.

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Information on PIP and how to claim it

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

Can I suggest you go to your local,CAB or advice centre for help. They should be able to assist with form filling and to talk to you about benefits in general
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi could someone please help as I cant research this information myself as I am suffering from a third mental breakdown since I started getting bullied in work in Feb 2015.

I have severe psychosis where I have voices telling me to do unpleasant things in order to prevent a nuclear war. In the past the psychosis has lasted over a year and then went away and I don't know what's going to happen this time.

I have approx. £22k in savings. I know that ESA depends on your savings. Can someone tell me how it works when you have savings? Do you use up £70 per week until you have reached £16k and then they start paying you eg £10 per week and you use £60 of your savings. Then when you reach £14k they pay you £20 per week and you withdraw £50 of your savings, etc? Is that how it works?

Also I think I'm entitled to PIP due to the severity of my mental illness but I've never claimed it. Would anyone have any info on it?

Sorry I can't research this myself but I'm still hearing voices and having psychotic thoughts. Thank you.

Are you still employed? Are you receiving SSP and/or contractual sick pay?

You may be eligible for contribution based ESA if you are not receiving SSP. This is not means tested so your savings will make no difference. Have you worked during the last two years and paid NI contributions?

You can apply for ESA if you are not receiving SSP and they will work out whether you are eligible for contribution based or not.

Savings above £16000 means you are not eligible for income based ESA. Once you get below £16000 you can put in a claim for income based ESA. They deduct £1 for every £250 over £6000 of savings from your ESA. You will need to regularly update them as regards your savings depleting - you cannot spend in a frivolous way or pay back debts that are not legally due. You can use you savings for 'normal living expenses'. They will readjust your ESA according to how much savings you have.

As regards PIP here is a link which explains it

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-claim/

Suggest you go to CAB for help with your PIP application taking any medical evidence that you have.

Sorry to hear you are so unwell. Make sure you let your doctor know how you are feeling.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another post suggesting you go to your local CAB.

If you have been worrking over the last 2 years, you may be able to get contribution-based ESa.

Do you have a local MIND group that may be able to help you?

Ask the CAB to help with both ESa & PIP forms.

Best wishes.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Thanks for your replies folks. I have been working for the past four years. I will go and ask the CAB as that's what everyone seems to be agreeing on. Many thanks once again.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have been working for the past four years.

In which case Contribution-based ESa would be possible (I'm assuming you aren't currently getting SSP).
    You will need to provide a "fit note" from your GP and supply this to the DWP.

Some more info here: (and details on how to claim)
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get

Contribution-based ESa won't be reduced because of your savings.
    Assessment rate is £73.10 pw.

Bw
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure