Minefield Rail Fares

What a corruption our British Rail fares and it's subsidiaries are. Booking a simple return from Truro to Taunton in December is £61.00. With some 'Ducking and Diving', I got the fare down to £34.70 and, a free 1st class ticket on one of my journeys! Amazing! It shouldn't be this way, The UK not only has some of the most expensive rail fares in Europe; it is also the most complicated.:j

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think British Rail ceased to exist quite some time ago. Why is it a corruption? For sure it is too complicated and not always logical.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    deke777 wrote: »
    The UK not only has some of the most expensive rail fares in Europe...
    Are you sure about that?
    Are you comparing like for like?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Wasn't there a young lad who works for MSE and it was cheaper for him to fly out to somewhere in the UK via Berlin than take the train?

Although it doesn't work on Advanced Fares (yet) there's Tickety Split for trying to work out cheaper rail fares.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    British fares may be sometimes more expensive than in Europe but the majority of our continental cousins have a massively subsidised system (not that the British operators do t get some). Should trains be funded through general taxation or through those who use it?

In anycase I don't think (outside a few exceptions) the system is too bad. Certainly in other countries they have great flagship services (TGV for example) but other regional or local services have been neglected. UK rail growth also has been far above expectation, growing several % points every year for the last decade +. One thing actually is too much DfT involvement and direction in day to day running and procurement of stock.
  • deke777
    deke777 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Hi, Thank you for your comment. When I used the term, 'British Rail'; I was writing in the generic sense. I imply, the United Kingdom rail network. This rotten system that exits in my Nation, as compared to say the wonderful systems that operate in say France, Germany or Japan. Thank you again, it is nice to have such a positive feedback.:D
  • deke777
    Hi, Thank you for your post. I have travelled on railways all over Europe and beyond. Price, service and quality is empirically superior in other Nations around the World. Italy is one of the cheapest: I admit India is not at it's finest nonetheless, the people and staff are fantastic! I really feel like a third class individual when I traverse the networks of the U.K. Not good, ask those now on Southern Network who are paying thousands a year, for the trash they receive. Thank you again.
  • deke777
    Hello and thank you for your post. Beeching was myopic and a fantasist. The report makes very interesting reading: (What could you expect from an ex ICI employee and leaned on by ministers at the time):Now, there is a move to bring back freight to the rail network. Too little, too late, Antediluvian. As for the H2 project, lopping off 40 minutes to an already good journey time, is a criminal waste of taxpayers money. "Oh Brave New World...."
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:36PM
    deke777 wrote: »
    Hello and thank you for your post. Beeching was myopic and a fantasist. The report makes very interesting reading: (What could you expect from an ex ICI employee and leaned on by ministers at the time):Now, there is a move to bring back freight to the rail network. Too little, too late, Antediluvian. As for the H2 project, lopping off 40 minutes to an already good journey time, is a criminal waste of taxpayers money. "Oh Brave New World...."
    I guess you don't understand that the major objective of HS2 (I'll assume you mean HS2) is to increase the capacity, i.e. allow more people to travel, between London and Birmingham and beyond. It is not possible to increase that capacity much on the existing infrastructure without significant disruption to existing services for a very extended period. By building a new railway on a new alignment, there will be negligible disruption to existing services - it can also be built quicker. So if a new railway is going to be built, it makes sense to build it to modern standards - e.g. faster, doesn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure