PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. DD and I enjoyed watching one of our two free DVD rentals this morning before going out and looking forward to watching the other maybe tomorrow if we get ourselves organised.
    2. DD doing some washing up for me this evening - bless her, she gets SO excited about washing up, I tend to save up or create washing up for her, plastic plates and the like (putting real things in the dishwasher as she can be a bit slapdash), but today she did a good job on the food mixer after we made fairy cakes for her packed lunches and I was her drying up fairy whilst she was the washing up queen!
    3. We went out to Lewes for a mooch around today, whenever I go there, I always want to up sticks and move, it's such a funky, chilled out place.
    4. Bought some scrumptious local organic veg at B!ll's, had the best tasting baked potatoes in years done in the remoska, they tasted like potatoes SHOULD taste, not the rubbish from a plastic sack in the mainstream supermarkets.
    5. Am quickly earning free points on a bingo site to earn Amaz0n vouchers.
    6. After a year or so of putting up with a broken holder for the shower head, I suddenly had a lightbulb moment and have now won a new one on Eb*y, £30 cheaper than an online supplier. Hoorah! Now to go for a new shower head itself....
    7. Reading a great library book and being grateful that my council tax goes on the library service, allowing me to save so much money. I read incredibly quickly and can get through 2 or 3 books a day when I'm in the mood, so would never be able to afford to feed my 'habit'.
    8. Just settling down to a watch a French film on TV.
    9. Sitting in the lounge in candlelight (ok, and the laptop and tv screen) but certainly no need to have a lamp on, love watching the flames.
    10. Washing and dishes are up to date, just the dreaded ironing and shoes to clean before I head up to bed.
  • Jevvers
    Jevvers Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's mine for today:

1) Friends over for lunch with their two boys - suddenly the house was full of children

2) Lit a fire this afternoon and this meant we've not had the heating on this eve AND I dried washing near it AND put the bread to rise in front of it

3) Made a loaf of bread and some rolls for the first time in many many years

4) DS thrilled to be allowed to help me with the fire: rolling up newspaper to make firelighters just like I used to with my parents, and handing kindling to me

5) Being snug inside looking at horizontal rain outside

Hope everyone had a good weekend
    Mortgage 1: £243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: [STRIKE]£166,966[/STRIKE] £159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: £402,100
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    What a horrible day! The wind is howling down the chimney and the rain is slashing at the windows.

1) Had a good sing in church this morning. Said in passing to the Vicar that whoever chose the songs today did a good job and it turned out to be him (it's usually the music group).
    2) Chatting with a friend who has been offered a shiny new job
    3) Leftovers for lunch and home made beans for tea
    4) Finishing a crocheted scarf and wrapping it in tissue paper. Don't know who it's for yet but friends are getting home-made presents this year, if possible.
    5) A good book to curl up with later on.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Windy and rainy again but I can't complain seeing the news reports about the floods elsewhere. :-(

Five for today:

1) Carrying on with my sorting and tidying and cleaning the kettle, taps and cooker knobs with half a lemon!

2) Doing 50 minutes on the Wii and sort of getting how to do the hula hoop activity...

3) Seeing my sons both look at me in astonishment. They brought a guitar home from their father's (don't ask me why) and were quite staggered when I picked it up, tuned it, then played a tune! They didn't know I could do that.

4) Going swimming and little son finally jumping in without holding my hand. Once he did that, he kept jumping in to deeper and deeper water then taking running jumps! And he broke his swimming record by managing half a width. We had to go under the water to count how many kicks he did. :-S

5) Sitting in front of the stove watching I'm a Celebrity.

6) Starting to think of Christmas and what to buy. Sons want whatever toy James May has done a programme on.... so its Scalextric, Mecanno and Airfix. They always have a new pair of pyjamas on Christmas Eve (Primark!) then in their stockings they have Ladybird book, a little Lego or Playmobile model then bits and pieces. I'm quite looking forward to it now, I tend to go to Hereford for a change and spend a whole day shopping and get the majority done.

L
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2009 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Good evening everybody :wave: - what a wild night! Hope it dies down by morning or else our bins will be rolling down the road when we put them out. I can get away without putting my household rubbish bin out (barely half a bag) but my compostable food waste (melon skins; potato, carrot, onion, swede, parnsip, peelings; mouldy bread etc) will have to go or it will be stinking by next week.

BitsyBeans - wtg on your refund from the energy company :j
    katieclampet - hope you had a lovely day with your dd :).
    Caterina - sorry to hear that your dh is all smiley-sick010.gif - I'm sure he'll soon be feeling better with all your delicious cooking :grin:.
    Rummer - well done you on the party going so well :T - you well deserve to sit with your feet up and relax today ;).
    SunnyGirl - Good luck with the cake - I also did one with some cocoa powder to make a chocolate cake (with choc chips in), topped with choc buttercream and white marshmallows for dgs2 (he loves me to make him hot choccie with cream and marshmallows!). Do Thornton's do the small bags of toffee with just a few pieces in - just thinking that m-i-l may limit herself to one a day if there aren't many of them ;).
    newlywed - good to see that you're still being well looked after :grin: - make the most of it hon. I watched Sleepless in Seattle as well - lovely film.
    DitaBombita - sounds like you've had a really busy weekend - good luck with the candle making session :).
    nuttybabe - wtg on finishing your scarf :j
    Broomstick - what a lovely chat you and your ds had - it's so important that we make sure our kids know their family histories. I have to remind myself that some of MY childhood history is 50yrs ago - same as my grandmother used to tell ME about :rolleyes:! So I can actually pass on 100yrs to my own granddaughter.
    blackcrow - we had some flax-seed one time - it came in one of those packs of mixed seeds and nuts from a healthfood shop. OH ate so much of it that he finished up with a bad stomach. Probably because his gut wasn't used to so much 'fibre overload'! Well done on getting your laundry sorted out and put away :j.
    Kittikins - looks like you and your dd had a great weekend - hope you enjoyed your French film.
    Jevvers - mmmmm good company, good food, a roaring fire, watching the rain outside - what a great way to spend a sunday afternoon :grin:.
    Patchwork - It makes such a difference in church when the hymns are good ones - something that can benefit from the acoustics. One of my favourites is 'How Great Thou Art'. I've got a lousy singing voice, but will give that one 'some welly'. I've only got one voice and The Lord gave it to me - so he can darn well listen to it ;)!. Good luck to your friend in her new job - great to hear of somebody finding work.
    ACEY - Well done you on surprising your sons ;) and wtg to your youngest on gaining confidence jumping into the water - no stopping him now :j.

Mine for today:

1. Baked a fruit cake and a lemon drizzle cake this morning.

2. Cooked a proper dinner this week - roast chicken (done in my new enamel roaster), stuffing, roast pots, mashed pots, three root mash (carrots, swede, parsnip), steamed cauli and gravy. Chicken was so tender it just fell apart as I went to lift it out of the roaster - not sure if that was meant to happen :confused:.

3. Lots of chicken left over for tomorrow's evening meal and veggies for 'fry-up' at lunchtime. Enough Cauli left over to do a Cauliflower Cheese for Tuesday.

4. Washing done and dried on airer and rads today.

5. Finished a book last night and found another one today that I've been meaning to read for tonight - The Holy City (Glasgow) by Meg Henderson.

I'm just going to make myself some hot choccie and get in bed with my book. My Line Manager has been off work for around 6wks and she's back in again now - will be cracking the whip at a Team Meeting tomorrow afternoon lol. Brrrrr that wind is getting even worse outside - hope I get some sleep tonight - ((((BIG HUGS)))) to all who need or want them. nitey nite - don't let the bed-bugs bite - love Ollie xxx
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ollie your dinner sounds delicious!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • redsquirrel80
    Options
    Hi again. Makes me smile reading this thread :) Happy Monday everyone!

My OS pleasures for the weekend were:

1. Buying a slow cooker :D
    2. Tidying OH's garden, pruning of unruly buddleia and clearing dead leaves from, well, everywhere, and made a heap to produce lovely leaf mould.
    3. Making pea and ham soup in slow cooker - very solid soup - yum!
    4. Having a very 'refreshing' run in the wind and rain last night :D
    5. Tea and cake and hugs :)
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • Muppet81
    Options
    Morning all :A. Lots of lovely posts for me to catch up on over the last 3 days.

Must confess that I am struggling for positives today. Biopsy day is tomorrow and I am nervous, :eek: not about having it done but about the 7 to 10 day wait for the result.

Lets have a go ....

1) Friend who I took to hospital recently came down last night with a bunch of flowers as a thank you.
    2) The twins went out of The X Factor last night. :D
    3) Fire set ready for lighting and I intend to have a cosy afternoon cuddling my cat.
    4) A friend has just rung to see if she can come up to see me on Wednesday. She is thinking about buying a Remoska and wants to sample some food out of one.
    5) struggling ...sorry!

Hugs to all who need them today.
    x
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • yummyhoney
    yummyhoney Posts: 177 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2009 at 12:22PM
    Options
    big big hug for muppet,,i'll say a prayer for you x mine for today are,,
    1. smelling my bread in bm and cant wait to eat it,
    2. dh coming home for lunch as he goes to collage on mon night and would miss ds2 if he didn't come home to see him,,bless him
    3. ds2 having a cry as creche tomorrow and this is 3rd week he cried not wanting to go,so gave him big cuddle and changed subject onto santa clause!!!
    4. ds1 and dd excited going to school as it closed tomorow over the strike!!funny listening to ds1(14) explaining it to dd who's 8
    5. looking forward to lunch which is hm oven chips and fried eggs,,
    funny how 2 of my pleasures involve eating:rolleyes:
    Dont cry because it's over,
    Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
    Jan NSD 10/10:j Jan groc. challenge €169.18/€400
    Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge €230/€400:rolleyes:
  • Halleous_2
    Options
    after reading this day after day i have joined to add my 5.

1. After a worrying night cramping went to the hospital for a scan to find out my baby is fine!
    2. looking in my cupboards finding i have everything to make a nice loaf of HM bread and a pizza for tonight.
    3. Work telling me to take as much time as i need after my scare
    4. My big sister being the best sister in the world and listening to me cry 4 this morning even though she had to be up for work at 7
    5. Realising that having this baby is the most important thing to me and my other half (it was a happy accident)

thanks
    xxoxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family