Barclay's OD

Options
Meatloaf1981
Meatloaf1981 Posts: 339 Forumite
PPI Party Pooper
edited 28 August 2014 at 11:56AM in Debt-free wannabe
When I had my LBM in February this year, I was about £4800 into my overdraft with Barclay's. I switched bank accounts and had no further debits coming out of the account. I arranged my DMP through a free service company via my work called Workplace Options and in due course set up standing orders to all my creditors for the amount I could afford, direct from my new account.

Now since then, Barclay's advised Workplace Options that the account would be closed and then passed to their collections department. I have continued paying monthly throughout. A week ago I got a letter from their collections department telling me I had 7 days to settle the debt. No worries, I thought, Workplace Options told me to expect such a letter and to not worry about it as I had an arrangement to pay already setup. Fast forward to today and I've had another letter demanding immediate payment or to call them on an 0844 number to discuss a 24 hour extension.

I am now quietly worried that something isn't right here. I'm about to be married next week, then away on honeymoon and the last thing I want is people turning up at my home whilst I'm away, and bothering my parents.

Any thoughts whilst I await a call back from Workplace Options today? Should I contact Barclay's myself? I hate the thought of calling them, to be honest. This is why I went to Workplace Options in the first place.
Original Total: £34200.78 / Current Total: £24017.00 (July 2017) -29.88%!
DMP started March 2014. DFD: November 2025

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays won't send anyone to your home address. It is likely to just be standard letters leading up to them defaulting the account.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tixy is right. You will get a default soon.

People knocking on your door is a way off yet and unlikely. Barclays will send it to their in house company (Mercers) where it will probably sit for a few years if not until it is paid off. You won't get a visit from them. Only if it gets sold to a bottom feeder will you get threats and then it is very unlikely that they will follow through.

People knocking on your door who have the right to do so (only after a CCJ and enforcement have been granted) are a long way off and a CCJ application is very unlikely.
  • Meatloaf1981
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your views. I spoke with Workplace Options who called Barclays and confirmed there is nothing particular to be concerned about and if the payment details change (At the moment, I pay directly into my old bank account but I understand the collections account number will be different) then I will be informed of such.

Luckily I should be able to afford to increase my payments later this year.
    Original Total: £34200.78 / Current Total: £24017.00 (July 2017) -29.88%!
    DMP started March 2014. DFD: November 2025
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Hi Meatloaf

I have a Barclays CC, I had to ask SC to send them details of the DMP 3 times before they got their paperwork together (they were accepting the SC payments) it took about 5 months in all. I would call them if you can pluck up the courage, their call centre staff actually seem to be OK and will wonder why you have rung, but it just ticks a box for me and stops me worrying a bit.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills