We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Professionals - treating MYOB?

QTPie
QTPie Posts: 1,373 Forumite
Hi

Am particularly interested in gardening professionals opinions here. If someone came to you with a fairly significant MYOB problem, would you take it on and how would you proceed?

We bought a house in March. The lawns are well tended by GreenThumb EXCEPT where the MYOB is concerned. I was talking to the GT people about an unrelated issue and they pointed out that the weed that wasn't disappearing was MYOB and they couldn't treat it. They have since said that they can spray it with a herbicide in May/June to "help keep it in check", but it won't be able to decrease the amount currently there.

So I got an independent gardener in to get his opinion and quote for work. We had a few hedges/trees removed over the Summer, so I wanted him to treat the MYOB, then turf/seed over the bare patches (from the tree/hedge removal) and any patches killed off from the MYOB treatment. I have said that I am flexible on timing, but would like to see a lawn back by the Spring.

Gardener has taken a while to produce a quote and has come back to say that he doesn't think he can do it: he feels treatment alone will be ineffective and the MYOB will come back. He feels that we need to spend a (substantial) amount of money improving the drainage of the garden (I don't know how) and cutting trees down. Our back garden is well shaded in the Summer (deciduous trees). Ground is regularly moist, but not water logged or flooded (we are high up, but on the site of an old quarry). Cutting down the trees at the back would be difficult (TPOs) and we have a tall bank and fence at the back anyway (15/18 ft) - so the garden is always going to be shady at times.

So I am not very happy at all. Is there no middle ground with treating this and keeping it under control?

I have both a big MYOB problem and also some large patches of bare lawn that I need turfing (but have been waiting to try and sort out the MYOB) - funnily enough, big patches of bare earth are attractive to MYOB...

Is the answer to find another professional? If so, what should I look for? I want someone who can tackle this confidently. I am currently very unsure if the person who has quoted is correct or just trying to wash his hands of it.

Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport