The long haul supporters thread...

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi GNF, trouble is for most of us the debt built up over time and its going to be the same thing getting rid of it. Can you just focus on the next card or the next £100? As they say it is baby steps, just try bitesize chunks. HTH
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Can I have a number please im in for the long haul starting my dmp hopefully sep/oct and they have calculated 19 years OMG but hopefully I can bring the time down
  • You will be able to reduce that time frame - little bit extra here and there really does pay off even if it doesnt feel like your getting there.

Im going to follow the good advice on here and set a bite size goal. Clear one cc currently owe £1100 on it.

Right here goes...
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Im feeling completely and utterly fed up. I know that each month im chipping away at the debt so eventually it will be gone but it isnt happening quick enough for my liking. I feel like im getting nowhere which is daft because ive cleared £2k so far so things are moving in the right direction. How can i perk myself up again? I go from being really motivated to really deflated - i cant seem to find the middle ground.

I know what you mean, I am in year 3 of a six year DMP and does seem rather a grind and easy to slip back into old habits if you are not careful. I recently brought a bit of software YNAB (raved about my others) and once got to grips with it, allows me to keep on track of my budget and my payments into the DMP. I can update any daily spends by my phone and importantly it flags any areas of overspends, which in my case was additional top up shops. I think we all go through this, but as others have said it taken years to get into this state..
  • I have finally done it. in the last year I have paid back nearly £23K. It has been a sacrafice, I had to use the cards at one point and things got a bit hairy, but now, I am finally rid of debt for the second time in my life.

I now need to start saving and really get on my way to getting on the property ladder. Thank you for all your words of encouragement. This time last year I didn't think it would ever happen.
    • MSE Forum Achievements:
    • Debt-free & Proud - December 2014
    • Fully Funded 12 Month Emergency Fund - December 2020
    • Current Challenges: No Spend Challenge 2023
    • January NSD: 16/25
  • That's absolutely fantastic!!! Well done :j
    You must be ecstatic! (And such an encouragement to others).
  • black_cat wrote: »
    That's absolutely fantastic!!! Well done :j
    You must be ecstatic! (And such an encouragement to others).

Thank you Black Cat,

It hasn't sunk in yet, I am still a little anxious regarding my finances.From next month I really want to start saving. I vow never to get in debtagain.

Although I didn't participate much in this forum, in the beginning theencouragement I received from everyone else helped me feel less guilty and determined.I am really grateful to everyone on here.

Also, as a Christian, the positive affirmations I used from Joyce Meyerregarding my debt helped me in those dark times.

All I can say to anyone else in the same boat I was in is, keep going, keepchipping away and try not to beat yourself up.
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mummyrivett congrats to you:T:T. It's so inspiring when someone makes it. Now you can plan for the future knowing you won't need to worry about debt again. :j
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well done.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Thank you everyone xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories