Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• I have decided to make a stand on this in 2017! I will tip for EXCEPTIONAL service (i.e. not just someone who is doing their job, but someone who in some way will go above and beyond).

However, without exception I am now asking for Service Charges to be removed at restaurants. Done it 3 times this year and we are keeping track of how much we are saving as a result. Up to £29 now :) In one instance we were given a gift voucher for a hotel stay for Christmas which included a healthy dinner allowance, the service charge on this (which we were expected to pay) was nearly £15. We had it removed.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have decided to make a stand on this in 2017! I will tip for EXCEPTIONAL service (i.e. not just someone who is doing their job, but someone who in some way will go above and beyond).

However, without exception I am now asking for Service Charges to be removed at restaurants. Done it 3 times this year and we are keeping track of how much we are saving as a result. Up to £29 now :) In one instance we were given a gift voucher for a hotel stay for Christmas which included a healthy dinner allowance, the service charge on this (which we were expected to pay) was nearly £15. We had it removed.

For me it's not about saving money - if the meal is priced at such a rate that they can't afford to pay a liveable salary then the price of the meal needs to be increased to pay a liveable wage.
    I detest in a first world country the tipping culture - people should get a fair wage for their labour regardless of the mood or generosity of the customer!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Did you tip your GPs, dentists, nurses, postmen, policemen, Pizza deliverer ?

There are doing great job, some are saving life.

If not why not ??
  • adindas wrote: »

If not why not ??

I 'tipped' a policeman once who was going to give me a ticket and he let me off (not in the UK):rotfl:
  • Kim_kim wrote: »
    For me it's not about saving money - if the meal is priced at such a rate that they can't afford to pay a liveable salary then the price of the meal needs to be increased to pay a liveable wage.
    I detest in a first world country the tipping culture - people should get a fair wage for their labour regardless of the mood or generosity of the customer!

Try some second world countries where if you don't tip (bribe) you don't get a service at all including hospitals. By second world, I'm specifically referring to some less prosperous parts of the EU that I've personally travelled to. Maybe shouldn't happen but does unfortunately.
  • SavvySaver24
    SavvySaver24 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2017 at 11:44PM
    Kim kim... (still working out how to quote)

Personally I don't agree with increasing the price of the menu item. To me, I am paying for the price of the food/presentation/chef. As has always been standard service (i.e. the waitress) comes part and parcel of that. That is not something I should have to pay an additional extra for. Hence I will only EVER pay a tip if that have 100% gone above and beyond.

As for the fact the company may not.pay a minimum/living wage, whilst I agree with you that they should I do NOT believe it is my job to subsidise their wage as a customer.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I 'tipped' a policeman once who was going to give me a ticket and he let me off (not in the UK):rotfl:

This is not tip this is bribery ...
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    adindas wrote: »

If not why not ??

I tip my postman and people delivering take out food.

People serving in restaurants know that they are working for a small basic wage topped up by tips for doing their job well. Refusing to tip in the UK is simply cheap. Shame on you.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim kim... (still working out how to quote)

Personally I don't agree with increasing the price of the menu item. To me, I am paying for the price of the food/presentation/chef. As has always been standard service (i.e. the waitress) comes part and parcel of that. That is not something I should have to pay an additional extra for. Hence I will only EVER pay a tip if that have 100% gone above and beyond.

As for the fact the company may not.pay a minimum/living wage, whilst I agree with you that they should I do NOT believe it is my job to subsidise their wage as a customer.

If tipping were totally abolished then anywhere that wasn't paying the minimum wage would have to increase their rate of pay & some restaurants might have to pay staff better rates than minimum to keep them in what is a physical job with unsocial hours - both of these would cause the price of a meal to rise.

But the net result should be no more than the meal + 10% tip price we are used to paying now.
  • Kim_kim
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Try some second world countries where if you don't tip (bribe) you don't get a service at all including hospitals. By second world, I'm specifically referring to some less prosperous parts of the EU that I've personally travelled to. Maybe shouldn't happen but does unfortunately.

We are discussing tipping in the UK. I'm sorry I don't understand your point?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback