The value of the British Pound

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    What was the question, .. can anybody hear me....? . Matron..Nurse.. Siri.... Cortana ....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The rate hit $1.05 in 1985. Been here before. Nothing new.

Ah, that's alright then. Really nothing to worry about, and all those experts who say that the pound is having a bad time by any measure should just shut up as we have had enough of experts.

image.jpg
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The OP keeps using words like "panic". I really don't understand why.
    I can understand panic being felt by those with substantial travel or other foreign expenses and who have all their money in GBP. I'm one of the former but not the latter, fortunately for me, but I can sympathise.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    eDicky wrote: »
    I can understand panic being felt by those with substantial travel or other foreign expenses and who have all their money in GBP. I'm one of the former but not the latter, fortunately for me, but I can sympathise.

I'm off to Iceland (the country rather than the shop!) in a few weeks. It was looking to be very expensive but that's now become VERY EXPENSIVE. A few weeks after that I'll be in India but that'll just be 'less cheap' rather than expensive.

In the grand scheme of things, though, I'll survive. I'm of the opinion that if I can afford a holiday then I've got little to worry about. It seems pretty clear that unless Sterling strengthens fairly soon (which I see as being unlikely) we will see inflation rise rapidly which'll hurt those close to the breadline tremendously.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ballard wrote: »

In the grand scheme of things, though, I'll survive. I'm of the opinion that if I can afford a holiday then I've got little to worry about. It seems pretty clear that unless Sterling strengthens fairly soon (which I see as being unlikely) we will see inflation rise rapidly which'll hurt those close to the breadline tremendously.

People with savings and an income will survive, people with plenty of savings and an income will find it an irritation, a small inconvenience, but they will survive. As always, even in the fairer Britain that the PM has promised and is hopefully working on, it's the people without who will bear the brunt. Has it ever been different?
  • schiff wrote: »
    People with savings and an income will survive, people with plenty of savings and an income will find it an irritation, a small inconvenience, but they will survive. As always, even in the fairer Britain that the PM has promised and is hopefully working on, it's the people without who will bear the brunt. Has it ever been different?

Well if they can't afford to travel abroad or buy imported cars they'll probably have the fewest issues. Let's see how wild inflation gets before we make any more sweeping statements.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Well if they can't afford to travel abroad or buy imported cars they'll probably have the fewest issues. Let's see how wild inflation gets before we make any more sweeping statements.

I don't agree at all. We are talking about a scenario of high inflation. This may or may not come to fruition but if it did then it would hit those who barely manage to support themselves now. It's the people on pre-pay electricity meters and value baked beans who would really feel the pinch.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Seems that even the Beebs financial commentators are unable to convey if the impending Brexit is going to be a (dogs) breakfast or not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37666628
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jumperabv3 wrote: »
    Everyone can be concerned by what's affecting him/her the most, so for you USD could be a concern, for me ILS and THB are bigger concerns...

And if the GBP/USD does concern you - how do you feel about seeing the GBP worth $2.00 about 8 years ago and now it's worth 40% less?

Forget about these 3 countries.
    Try to go to the US.
    Let me know if the prices remain the same for you.

I don't waste time and energy worrying or being concerned about things I have no control over.
    You might try it sometime, it's a very liberating policy.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    Ah, that's alright then. Really nothing to worry about, and all those experts who say that the pound is having a bad time by any measure should just shut up as we have had enough of experts.

image.jpg
    I think the FT chart risks making the opposite point. Seen in a historical context, this looks like it's been the destination for a long time. It's not just this sudden shock of Brexit, we've been falling down here for decades. If we stop that chart in February 2016, before the Brexit vote was announced, does it look hugely different? We're at 168 year lows mostly because of all the lows we'd fallen through before Brexit. Brexit hasn't upturned 168 years' of £ strength, it's merely continued its weakness.

That's not to deny that the £ only buying $1.22 isn't painful, just that it isn't as unexpected or drastically unforeseeable. Yes, Brexit has pushed it here today, this year. But the story of that chart is that's where we've been heading for a long time. Have we simply arrived sooner than expected, after a quick ride on the Brexit Express?

Apart from a few people born in the gold standard period, most people in Britain were born into a country where their currency was set to become less valuable against the dollar throughout the course of their life time than when they were born. I think that was also true for people born recently, Brexit or not.

If we rewind the clock to June, Brexit doesn't happen, that long-term trend still stands. The £ was $1.50, maybe it would have jumped to to $1.60. That chart would not look hugely different. It wouldn't be paining people's wallets, of course, because they would have been fairly used to that level in recent times. But historically? Weak and towards the bottom of that chart.

This isn't just a "Brexit" motivated defence. I take this view to also call into question the idea some people might have that now's the time to sell $ (or € or whatever) assets because the £'s sure to be back up. A minor rebound might occur, but I would think the post-2016 side of that chart will eventually look a lot like what came before.
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport