HP just disabled printers from using compatibles

13»

Comments

• hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37503139
    An optional update that removes the restriction on unofficial cartridges will be available “within two weeks”.
  • hans_2 wrote: »

As that story originates from the BBCs North America corispondent, it will be interesting to see if the update will be available for uk printers as although the printer model numbers will be the same the cartridge numbers and programming are different.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • I have a MFD, which I don't think is affected, but, in anticipation of future action by HP, I've disabled updates.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    With a set of genuine cartridges costing about as much as the latest "on offer" all-in-one in your local supermarket (which theses days is typically around £40) the lifetime of a printer really isn't an issue. By far the biggest cost over a year or so running only genuine cartridges is likely to be the ink rather than the hardware. I always check compatibles are being sold and their pricing before buying a printer.

For me, the lifetime of MY printer, is an issue! I have owned (I think) a total of 4 printers over the years, all HP. Each one was better than the last and this last one is the best of all. It works exactly as I want it to and I never use compat's because I can get genuine ones for not much more, if I shop around. I have yet to see any supermarket selling a printer I would use: they are the throw-away items, used to sell cartridges.

Next printer (if I ever need one) will be the best 5-cart HP I can buy. That should see me to the point where I am dribbling over it!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family