Termination Of A Contractor

If you are on a 12 month contract, and the company terminates it early, are they liable to pay you the remaining months or weeks left on the contract?

Comments

• Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 974
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It depends on what it says in your contract. I am an contractor on a 6 month contract, however, either myself or the agency can terminate it with 4 weeks notice.
  • dranzer01
    dranzer01 Posts: 427
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thats where the issue comes in -

Ive gone through the contract and I cannot see it saying 'they have to give me 4 weeks notice'

They got rid of me on the same day VERBALLY, and they said i'll receive written confirmation of it in the post

In the contract it states I need to have written confirmation of the termination (so does this mean i can still work at the company until i receive it?)

When they said a weeks notice my ears did !!!!! a bit... I would have thought it would have been 4 weeks notice... at least...??
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:25PM
    It depends entirely on the wording of your contract.

As an aside, even had you been a "permanent employee" you would only have been entitled to one week's notice if employed for less than two years unless your contract specified more.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Do I recall correctly that you have a history of being dismissed from jobs? It would be useful to get some feedback from the organisation to see if they tally with previous feedback, and what you can do to prevent it happening again.

I would not expect four weeks notice when you have only been employed for such a short time, unless your contract provides for this.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    it depends why they have to terminate - if its SOSR from the customer I imagine they can terminate without notice.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    dranzer01 wrote: »
    If you are on a 12 month contract, and the company terminates it early, are they liable to pay you the remaining months or weeks left on the contract?

As above, its contract based.

They would be likely to have to pay a week or a month, unless there was some dismissal reason, then i'd have thought it was Adios Amigo the same day.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Do I recall correctly that you have a history of being dismissed from jobs? .
    This appears to be at least the fifth. I would have thought by this stage the OP should have a pretty good idea why they keep getting dismissed.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    This appears to be at least the fifth. I would have thought by this stage the OP should have a pretty good idea why they keep getting dismissed.

surely they cant sack you just for punching customers?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Peter999 wrote: »
    It depends on what it says in your contract. I am an contractor on a 6 month contract, however, either myself or the agency can terminate it with 4 weeks notice.

That's just happened to me. The project I was working on was "defunded" as part of the client's end of Q3 portfolio review. They are paying me until the end of the month to tidy up a few loose ends - and then I'm off on an unexpected holiday. It's important not to burn any bridges when something like this happens as you never know when they may want you back.
  • Doshwaster wrote: »
    That's just happened to me. The project I was working on was "defunded" as part of the client's end of Q3 portfolio review. They are paying me until the end of the month to tidy up a few loose ends - and then I'm off on an unexpected holiday. It's important not to burn any bridges when something like this happens as you never know when they may want you back.

and this is exactly what im trying to find out and know (awaiting my agencies response) - if im on a weeks notice or one month

i always thought if you are provided notice.... you have to work up to that notice period....? they just told me to go the same day @ 4:45pm; so that left me a bit discombobulated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure