Premium Bonds Article Discussion Area

Comments

• M3_Sussex
    M3_Sussex Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So far this year I've won £10,750 on the Premium Bonds with maximum holding. I know I'm in the minority but I just want to demonstrate that some people are lucky and that they can be worthwhile.
    I think they're ideal for people with spare cash who like to have that little bit of hope each month. I also do £2 a week subscription on the lottery. I have no illusions about my chances of winning but I like that tiny little bit of hope each week.
    So for me, that's what it's all about. They are not a solid investment but a safe place to keep my money with the added bit of fun thrown in.
  • **woody123**
    **woody123** Posts: 598 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There seem to be some very mixed stories about premium bonds..

I don't have any but am seriously thinking about buying £250 worth for now and maybe £250 in October and then so on over the next twelve months..

I don't play the lottery but at least with premium bonds you can get your money back and as with the lottery "you have to be in it to win it"

I just hope i can be as lucky as others...
  • tightwadman
    tightwadman Posts: 79 Forumite
    So far this year I've won £10,750 on the Premium Bonds with maximum holding. I know I'm in the minority but I just want to demonstrate that some people are lucky and that they can be worthwhile.

Maybe you could let us all have a breakdown of your monthly winnings over 12 straight months as this frankly is amazing. You must have won some very major prizes to reach that amount when most people get only £50 or £100 and you must presumably be winning every month which again is exceptional on a single holding of £30,000....

Over to you.............
  • M3_Sussex
    Maybe you could let us all have a breakdown of your monthly winnings over 12 straight months as this frankly is amazing. You must have won some very major prizes to reach that amount when most people get only £50 or £100 and you must presumably be winning every month which again is exceptional on a single holding of £30,000....

Over to you.............

Well, this shows my winnings for June. The rest you can take my word on.
  • M3_Sussex

Over to you.............

I relented. Here are the last six months as shown on the NSandI checker.

PB6.jpg
  • **woody123**
    **woody123** Posts: 598 Forumite
    You lucky thing m3 sussex,,

I'll definately have to get some now..

Congratulations.
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    You see, someone does win! Your 61WD8 block seems to do very well!

Congrats, the sun was shining on you in June! It gives us all hope :)
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    You lucky thing m3 sussex,,

I'll definately have to get some now..

Congratulations.

Oh for goodness sake.

You have a thread of people who are disappointed with PBs, then one poster puts up their highly unusual, odds-beating winnings and that's you convinced.

Good luck pal - but be prepared to LOSE your interest on your stake, sorry, "investment".
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    It seems to me many threads here are full of people who have an issue with PBs, since the recent articles have been published. The stats are clear to see, on average you don't get such a good return as in a high interest account, but you do get a return, and you never loose your initial investment, just loosing out on some potential interest. I wonder how many millions of people have large sums of cash in lowly interest accounts / cheque accounts - I bet it's a vast number. What about all the people who purchase stocks/shares and loose out, doesn't stop people investing for the potential of high returns - because a few companies crash, do we say all stock market investments are terrible?

It's difficult to directly compare PBs with other investments, because they are a different beast. But occasionally someone will win a decent amount, and there is a tiny chance to win tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and a million.
    Most people are happy with this, they are worth a "punt" and that's why they "invest" in them.

It's the fun of the draw, it's a calculated risk (hardly a risk in my eyes), and I've always enjoyed receiving the cheques. And the original capital is safe.

If you don't like them don't invest, just the same with any other type of investment. Equally don't invest because someone else came up with a big win, because it's unlikely you will. Invest because you understand what the likely returns are, and you can afford it. And fancy a "punt".
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    m3 Sussex, I think your win is very interesting if we look at it on the Probability Calculator

It shows theres a 0.33% chance of someone with 30k winning over 10k. In other words roughly 1 in 300 people will do so. Over 200,000 people have used the calculator this week; therefore its more than expected that a small number of them will have significantly beat the odds.

That is of course the nature of the game. The problem with premium bond distribution is that for everyone who substantially outperforms the interest rate, (in your case roughly 33% interest for the year) many more need to underperform. That's just how it works :)

Well done for winning.

Someone somewhere put "premium bonds are your pet hate aren't they?" No they're not. There's nothing wrong with premium bonds. There is something wrong with how people think about them - they're a savings product where you gamble the interest, but the gamble isn't that good. As long as you understand the odds; and are prepared for the various outcomes, then if the decision is rational they're fine - and I built the calculator to help people make that decision :)

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure