PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting, CCJs, Mental Health and kids! help!

Hi all, I apologise in advance for the length and complexity of this but hopefully someone can help...

(Background first)

2011... I had my own brick and mortar business with an "old school friend" my business partner was in charge of the accountancy side of things, paying the bills and rental and I managed the business, did all of the stocking, hiring and firing, creating the branding...you name it.

Long story short...he was using the money for his own gains and the only thing being paid was the staff wages and the restocking which I did in cash...the business went under and the bailiffs took everything (though he had sneakily put the assets in his other businesses name so he gain £30k worth of assets and I lost everything..never saw him again.

My wife ended up cheating on me after all the stresses of losing the business and us losing our jobs...she ended up running away and I just lost it.

I've a mental health issue for over 20yrs now and I just broke down. I have a son from a previous relationship so tried to hold it together for him whenever he came to me but on the whole I lost it....got evicted as I couldn't keep up with the rent after the ex wife left me with it...left me with a load of debt too.

I ended up in a shoddy house through a dodgy letting on gumtree...I had no money and savings anymore and I was about to be evicted (3weeks before Xmas) there was no deposit paid just rent...the floors were carpeted in only 2 rooms it stank of tobacco smoke, no plaster on the walls, just floorboards in the bathroom...it was freezing and I was just defeated.

- Being a "single male" without dependants (as son lived at his mums) I wasn't entitled to anything other than being put on the waiting list for housing benefit...I now had zero income and had a landlord who kept coming for his rent in a place that should have been boarded up as derelict.

A friend came to visit from up north, saw how I was living and offered a one off graphic job (my original profession) for a percentage of sales income for a one off product he was selling.

I jumped at the chance and managed to finish it all before the deadline and waited with baited breath as he launched. I'm the mean time I had missed rent by 2 weeks and had two very large and nasty men come to the house delivering a message (handed me a phone with the LL on the other end as I had not answered after he called shouting I owed him money)

Meanwhile - I was told I had two weeks to pay him £2000 or I'd have my legs broken...this sounds surreal but I swear to you this actually happened. I was terrified, vulnerable and had my son in the house at the time...we had made the front room into our "home" so there was at least one part of the house that was ok for him to be in.

I called my friend panicked and he said he will get back to me...a few hours passed and he called to say that the product didn't go as well as he had wanted but my cut was still £3000!

It felt like I'd been given a lifeline...I used the money to buy a very cheap car and luckily I found a house which is owned by a trust...I paid them 6mths upfront.

I moved in over the next few days and ran away from the house...there was no tenancy agreement there was no deposit...I left with a note and the money owed for the 2 weeks owed but not the 2k he had demanded. (He lives quite far away too so no worry of bumping into him).

All the while I was grieving a broken marriage, mental health deteriorated and I gained more weight than I want to commit to writing here. I struggled to keep up with debts still owed from her leaving me with...she took ALL money from the joint bank so I couldn't even use that.

Over the years I kept up as best as I could and the rent has always been paid but elsewhere things had been hard. I ended up with a CCJ for virgin media but that was satisfied after being paid off. I also picked up another CCJ in 2014 (which I've only just found out about).

I'm now in a much better place, good income, I'm with someone and we have a baby on the way (due April) however even though I've saved up 7mths rent (6mths plus deposit) im finding it almost impossible to find a house for us all to live in together.

We want somewhere preferably before the baby is here but the timeframe is shortening at a rapid rate and still nothing.

I have no family and neither does she (that she can have as a guarantor) I only have my Nana but obviously I couldn't and wouldn't ask her to be a guarantor.

I also have 2 small dogs which without I don't think I'd be here still, they got me through a lot of things because I had nobody and they were my lifeline when my son was at his mums...my mental health is much better though will never be perfect...but I am NOT getting rid of my dogs. It is proving difficult to find anyone's who will rent either with the dogs or with the CCJ...it is being paid off now that I know about it but it's still there at the moment.

Before people say I shouldn't have gotten the CCJ - I honestly didn't know about it. It must have been addressed to my former house and hence I never saw anything from it but I've only looked on my file very recently and am trying to sort it now.

Is there ANY hope of finding somewhere to rent? It seems all the three bed houses are taken apart from areas I definitely do not wish to live in; that isn't snobbery that's risk assessment and I don't want to risk safety towards the kids especially after the above 5yrs.

I've not got a perfect background but I've gotten back up from a hell that I thought I'd die in...I'm standing again with a bit of a wobble but I just need some advice on this last home straight.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the length of this...this was actually the shortest version I could put together with the background.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ramshanker wrote: »
    Hi all, I apologise in advance for the length and complexity of this but hopefully someone can help...

<sad, but largely irrelevant background info>

Before people say I shouldn't have gotten the CCJ - I honestly didn't know about it. It must have been addressed to my former house and hence I never saw anything from it but I've only looked on my file very recently and am trying to sort it now.

Is there ANY hope of finding somewhere to rent? It seems all the three bed houses are taken apart from areas I definitely do not wish to live in; that isn't snobbery that's risk assessment and I don't want to risk safety towards the kids especially after the above 5yrs.

I've not got a perfect background but I've gotten back up from a hell that I thought I'd die in...I'm standing again with a bit of a wobble but I just need some advice on this last home straight.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the length of this...this was actually the shortest version I could put together with the background.

Yes, just be honest and upfront (and pay off the CCJ)

The rest of your background is largely irrelevant, though if true, you have my sympathies.

I'd suggest you look up your rights in the future. (right o change locks, right to habitable accommodation, right too report threats of violence / extortion)
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That post needs a TL;DR - all the emotional stuff is irrelevant, bottom line is you want advice for renting when you've got a CCJ.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tykesi wrote: »
    That post needs a TL;DR - all the emotional stuff is irrelevant, bottom line is you want advice for renting when you've got a CCJ.

TL : DR = OP has had some rough times, has two CCJs (one satisfied, one not) - concerned about passing referencing for renting new property
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    The sob story is irrelevant.
    Is your partner working? Where are you living now if you can't find anyone to rent to you?
    If all the houses in the area you want to live in are taken then you're going to have to widen your search criteria/stop being choosy/get rid of the dogs.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 2:01PM
    Advice about renting with a CCJ and two dogs.

Life is about choices. You have some choices coming up. Who is more important your new partner and the new baby or the dogs? In an idea world you would get everything you wanted but this is not an ideal world and not every landlord is going to risk having two dogs destroy his house especially if the deposit isn't enough to cover the damage.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You mentions that you currently rent via a trust. Do they own any other properties? Is there any option for you to apply for a transfer to a 2 bed property? (I presume you currently have 1 bed and that is why you need to move)

Where is your partner currently living? Again, if she rents via a housing association or the council she might be able to apply for a transfer.

While ideally you would move before the baby arrives, it's not essential, many new parents have their baby in a cot in their own bedroom to start with (making getting up for night feeds easier!) - should it be possible for the two of you to move into one or other of the places you are currently living in, together, so that you can start to save a bit to wards a larger deposit?

Try to clear the CCJs as quickly as you can - having satisfied CCJs on your record is not great, but better than having unsatisfied ones.

If you (and your partner) are currently working, save as much as you can, so you have the option of offering a larger deposit.

Also, keep looking in small ads and through personal recommendations, you may find that individual landlords re a little more flexible than agencies.

in a worst case scenario, you can stay where you are, and you and your partner can each stay with the other part of the time. It's not perfect, but it is workable.

Good luck.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • My ex who has a large dog and not ideal history (self employed, bank account for a year, no credit history) managed very easily to get a place through Openrent. Viewed 3 properties, offered 2. Not one of the LA's he went to would even begin looking for places for him because of the dog, said no LL would accept him with a dog. None of the LL's he spoke to through OpenRent had a problem.
  • The sob story is irrelevant.
    Is your partner working? Where are you living now if you can't find anyone to rent to you?
    If all the houses in the area you want to live in are taken then you're going to have to widen your search criteria/stop being choosy/get rid of the dogs.

Thanks for the advice though it's not a sob story just my story. Getting rid of the dogs is an absolute no, we have widened the search to further afield now I've got a car to travel with. My partner is working but as of March will be on (paid) maternity leave.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Yes, just be honest and upfront (and pay off the CCJ)

The rest of your background is largely irrelevant, though if true, you have my sympathies.

I'd suggest you look up your rights in the future. (right o change locks, right to habitable accommodation, right too report threats of violence / extortion)

Thanks for the advice, At the time I was very much in a state of confusion so I didn't have it in me at the time to look those things up but yes, definitely will make sure I have my wits about me now I'm finally getting out of the mess
  • tykesi wrote: »

Apologies for my thread question being too long, don't want to waste anyone's time but thanks anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure