PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conveyancing Issue. Please help!!

Options
2»

Comments

• m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speak to the vendor directly, or speak to the EA. They have an unsaleable property at the moment so THEY need to sort it out.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure you'll have to pay the full £2000 if you pull out? Has the solicitor quoted this to do the conveyancing? It is part way through so you would only be charged for work done so far.

I agree with others that there may be some misunderstanding here if the solicitor is letting you take the decision whether to continue or not. Surely if the property can't be transferred into your name the would be no question of paying thousands of Pounds to the current owner?
  • ang_harvey
    Options
    I am in a similar position where my conveyancer is saying no to me buying a flat because the lease on the parking space is too low. They've advised me that I won't have to pay for them but I might lose the money I spent on the searches that were done (£340). The conveyancers will just shut down that file and start again with a new purchase...

I'm going to get a second opinion in my case.

I wouldn't buy the house without your details on the title btw. Has it only ever had one name on the title deeds? I can't see why it can't be transferred (but I'm not a solicitor).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you buying with a mortgage? If so, the lender will not proceed if there is a problem with the title - so you would have no choice about dropping out.

If the lender is happy to proceed, it suggests that the problem is not significant.

If you are a cash buyer, your solicitor can advise you against proceeding - but you can insist. (However, that might be a very reckless thing to do.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure