Options
124»

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    probably saying the obvious but if you leave the card in the reader after using it the battery will run down.

Most seem to shut down in that circumstance. I'd guess that that is done to save the battery.
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    I've found from experience that the nationwide ones, run down quicker if you leave the card in them.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:06AM
    Options
    I have 2 or 3 of these readers from different banks. Some cards work with other bank machines, others not.

My thinking is that the operation goes as follows:
    1. Inserting card closes a microswitch inside the machine and so energises the device (best way to preserve power when the card is not inserted). A good way to test this would be to put a credit card sized bit of card in the reader and see if it powers up.
    2. The reader boots up and then presents the default options respond / identify etc
    3. Only when a selection has been made does the reader actually attempt to access the chip on the card and read the EEPROM contents. At this point the reader will confirm if the card ID presented to it matches the types of card this reader has been programmed to accept.
    4. Even if the EEPROM is read correctly, the machine could still return a generic "fail" reply if the card it is trying to read is "not on the list".

A few years back I received an extra "card" from Barclays which I recieved when they bought ING. The only reason for this card (no embossed numbers or anything) is to allow me to log into my ING account using the Barclays Pinsentry reader.

They also sent me a second pinsentry reader which was nice of them because they went for about £15 on eBay at the time! :D
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you actually want to solve the problem - just walk into any branch of Barclays with your debit card and pin sentry.

Just about every staff member in the branch will have a pin sentry - they use it as a quick way of checking customers' identity.

So it will take less than 30 seconds to establish whether your card is faulty, or whether your pin sentry is faulty.

If your card is faulty, they won't take the card away from you - they'll just order a new card. You can use your current card until the new one arrives.
  • Janko179
    Options
    I think I would need to hire two experts: one electronics expert and one chip (re)programming expert so I can make PINsentry device (either Barclays one or any other one) to work with magnetic stripe. I simply cannot find appropriate solution and no reply was helpful :(
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's pretty clear that the OP doesn't want to use the obvious solutions provided that any normal customer would use, so the only real alternative is that he is indeed attempting to find a way to bypass bank security. I think we should stop responding in case anyone inadvertently says something that will help.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 October 2016 at 1:16PM
    Options
    I think agrinnall has probably hit the nail on the head, but personally if the OP thinks that by hiring an Electronic Engineer with EEPROM programming experience (which just so happen to be coincidentally) that they will somehow be able to take a mass produced dedicated product, probably based around a locked ASIC device, and then modify it into a custom product capable of reading non supported chip and pin devices and also magnetic stripes which the pinsentry lacks the hardware to read anyway, then I think that they should have a go.

And if they succeed, then the banking sector deserve to pay the resultant price for their incompetence. :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Janko179 wrote: »
    ... and no reply was helpful :(

Intentionally so :)
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Janko179 wrote: »
    I simply cannot find appropriate solution and no reply was helpful :(

The most 'appropriate solution' has been suggested - get a new card reader.

Many replies have suggested this - and so those have been helpful.

Your reluctance to accept this advice, or even recognise it is helpful, is very odd!

One extra piece of helpful advice - until you get a new Barclays device try a card reader from another bank (if you have one). They may work even if their design is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure