Central Trains £5 tickets (over 50s only)

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I was birth registered as the 30th yet born on the 20th, so lost out on cheap buses and trains AND old age pension.
    H.M Government said to get a declaration from any living relative to prove it. For example, birthday parties, that sort of thing.

Whats a birthday party, I said, we never had birthday parties, we were so poor we lived in a hole in the ground, covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but we were happy. :-))
  • trevored
    trevored Posts: 52 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote:
    I was birth registered as the 30th yet born on the 20th, so lost out on cheap buses and trains AND old age pension.
    H.M Government said to get a declaration from any living relative to prove it. For example, birthday parties, that sort of thing.

Whats a birthday party, I said, we never had birthday parties, we were so poor we lived in a hole in the ground, covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but we were happy. :-))

You had a tarpaulin?! We had to use a piece of tatty old lino!!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    We upgraded to a cardboard box, but we were 'appy.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does anybody know if Central Trains will be running a similar scheme this year? Nothing on the website yet, I'm probably just being a bit too eager!
    Stompa
  • Stompa
    Stompa wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Central Trains will be running a similar scheme this year? Nothing on the website yet, I'm probably just being a bit too eager!

Answering my own question, the good news is they are:

http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/templates/over50TrainRoutes.aspx?id=2274
    Stompa
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I understand it correctly I can do Cambridge to Manchester Piccadilly for £10 return, then on to my destination for £9 return, plus £8.60 to get to Cambridge from my local station. Total £27.60 instead of the cheapest fare I can find of two £20 singles. Saving £12.40.
  • Stompa
    If I understand it correctly I can do Cambridge to Manchester Piccadilly for £10 return, then on to my destination for £9 return, plus £8.60 to get to Cambridge from my local station. Total £27.60 instead of the cheapest fare I can find of two £20 singles. Saving £12.40.

Sounds right to me. The only problem might be the slowness of the trains. I did Cambridge-Nottingham and Cambridge-Birmingham last year and the trains were very slow.
    Stompa
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you have to travel only on Central trains. Cambridge to Manchester is only partly Central the rest in One railways?
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yay! I can get rid of my daddy for a while! :j
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you have to travel only on Central trains. Cambridge to Manchester is only partly Central the rest in One railways?

Central Trains run a service from Birmingham to Stanstead, via Peterborough, Ely & Cambridge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure