Trams

Options
2»

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I don't live in Glasgow but when I visit there my concessionary pass is accepted on the Underground.
    When my relatives from Inverness go to Glasgow their passes are accepted on the Underground.

Why are people from Edinburgh excluded?

The SPT Subway does NOT accept the OneScotland concession card for FREE travel and never has done. It will be used to provide a discount, nothing more
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    The SPT Subway does NOT accept the OneScotland concession card for FREE travel and never has done. It will be used to provide a discount, nothing more

Where do I say "free"" travel was provided? Read what I said more carefully.

The discussion was about acceptance of the card.
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    But the issue is as a 'bus' pass, Citylink do not accept it on their new EH airport coach.

Sure, you can go to Maybury but this service is being reduced to the tram and will be less reliable. It may also be withdrawn.

Best option is getting off at Ingliston gates and walk the last 10 minutes.

Do you mean the Edinburgh Airport service is being reduced?

In fact the timetable has recently been revised and it is an even better service.

Glasgow-Edinburgh Citylink services are every 15 minutes at peak times. I think every 30 minutes off-peak and on a Sunday.
  • bridgedino
    bridgedino Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone who's just over 60 and earns the same wage as me. He gets free bus travel in Edinburgh and I don't

That's no fair either

Age discrimination?
  • bridgedino
    Options
    BusPass wrote: »
    Airport Bus beats the trams every time for me every time.

Bus for me - free. Bus Stop is the first one you come to on leaving the terminal. 25 minutes to Waverley Bridge.

Trams - £8 return. Longer journey time.

No contest.

What a monumental waste of money!!!

25 minutes to Waverly Bridge??? No chance. Possible at 4am in a car.

Airport to the top of Eastfield Road is around 8 mins...
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    bridgedino wrote: »
    I know someone who's just over 60 and earns the same wage as me. He gets free bus travel in Edinburgh and I don't

That's no fair either

Age discrimination?

Every Scottish resident 60 and over gets free bus travel in Edinburgh, the rest of Scotland and down to Berwick and Carlisle. He's paid a lifetime of taxes and deserves the perk.

Why do you feel you should get it before you hit 60?
  • bridgedino
    Options
    Someone who hasn't paid a lifetime of taxes can also benefit from the same perk. Is that fair?

My point was really aimed at the OP. Trying to make the point that it is a perk and not a 'right' therefore the lack of free travel on the tram is just tough luck. There's other free travel options for the OP. Typical that one gets a free perk and enevitably expects more,more,more

I'm delighted that this particular mode of transport isn't bogged down and filled with 'free loaders' taking up seats that I pay a fare for
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im always a bit peeved that as an English person with a bus pass, why I cant use it in Scotland.
    and the same question as to why a Scot cant use theirs in Britain.
    We are the UNITED KINGDOM after all.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • BusPass_2
    Options
    Hi Bridgedino

I am original OP.

My point is that I have paid taxes all my life, and I am still paying them into my late sixties and counting. I contributed through Scottish Government contribution to the trams but don't enjoy free travel but ironically I do on the buses. It seems illogical to me.

In any case the bus at least as convenient as the tram. Bus Stop is nearer Airport Terminal than the Tram Stop. Journey time is similar.

Who took the crazy decision to spend hundreds of millions on a service, which in my opinion, adds nothing like the value spent on it?

Hope you enjoy your old age when it arrives, Dino. We are not all !!!!!!!!!!s looking for more, more, more. I am still paying my whack.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Im always a bit peeved that as an English person with a bus pass, why I cant use it in Scotland.
    and the same question as to why a Scot cant use theirs in Britain.
    We are the UNITED KINGDOM after all.

I'm more peeved that pensioners think it a right rather than a niceity to have free transport without having to prove the need for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure