House alarm keeps going off...help!

I've had my house alarm fitted for nearly ten years now. About 6 months ago, it started going off of it's own accord (even when not set), the noise was not the full sonic alarm but more of a tamper panel noise.

At first I thought it was the battery so I replaced this which seemed to solve the problem but only for a short while. It did go off a couple of times after but then settled down.

It recently started going off again so I again replaced the battery but to no avail. It goes off (still unset & when I'm in the house & just nipped out) at any given time.

I have taken the battery off, checked all the screws on the wires are tight and done the same with the push button panel but this has not stopped it from going off.

I have cleaned all the PIR sensors as well.

My sister has the same alarm system and exactly the same thing has been happening to hers as well!

The system is made by Veritas.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be and how to fix it please?

Thank you ;)

Comments

• albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    did you change the battery in the bell box, or the panel? It could be anything really, if it is a tamper fault, then you need someone to diagnose which circuit is faulting.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=425734
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • sleepali
    sleepali Posts: 248 Forumite
    albertross wrote: »
    did you change the battery in the bell box, or the panel? It could be anything really, if it is a tamper fault, then you need someone to diagnose which circuit is faulting.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=425734

Thank for getting back to me and providing the link.

The system only has one rechargeable battery which is housed within the panel. I don't think/know if it's an actual tamper fault (the LED's don't show this zone when it's gone off - just the various PIR LED's light up) it was a way to describe the noise...if that makes sense?
  • sleepali
    albertross wrote: »
    If you have an external bell box, it probably has a battery in as well, and after 10 years is probably due for replacement (it can set off the alarm). Water getting into the box can also cause corrosion, which can set off the alarm. If you have the manual, it may give you advise on diagnosing the fault, or you may be able to get the manufacturers service/installation manual from their site, or the forum I linked to in the other thread.

I'll have to get my ladders out over the weekend and check out the bell box. Thanx again ;)
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Have you checked the cupboards for burglars yet? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • TornadoTom
    TornadoTom Posts: 497 Forumite
    I'm not an alarm engineer, but have worked on entry systems that have anti-tamper on them.
    Anti-tamper wires work on a normally closed circuit...I assume that house alarms would be the same. I.e, if you cut the wires the alarm will sound.
    If I got a fault like this I would disconnect the tamper wires from the main control and put a bridging wire across the terminals instead. See if the alarm worked ok for a couple of weeks. If ok, then you know its the anti-tamper wires...obviously.
    Reconnect the tamper wires one pair at a time until you find the faulty ones.
    The alarm engineers in here might find you a quicker way to find the fault, but if you intend finding it yourself...it's a start.
    Tom
    PREDICTION FOR 07/08

L...O.O.T.T.R.B.C.
  • sleepali
    ben500 wrote: »
    Have you checked the cupboars for burglars yet? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

OMG...that's the one thing I've not done yet eeekkk LOL

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • If its a veritas panel try typing in 1234 or 4321(providing its not been engineer locked out) then press PROG (all led's should light up) to access engineer mode and then do a walk test on the sensors to ensure they detect you and latch.If you get a sensor that latches without you walkin into a room then theres your culprit.
    To do this simple press 06 for non latching test (just beeps when you walk through then releases latch to click sound) or for latching permanent test its 19. You will here the number of bleeps for corresponding zones e.g. (bleep,bleep,bleep means zone 3 and so on).After you walk out of room and sensor settles to sleep mode you will hear the clicks again. Try this on the latching test so the system records the zones already done (19). Include door contacts and infra red barriers if you have them as they are all zones.

As an engineer this is common on systems for these faults to accur but if its not cured the problem then you will need an engineer to visit your premises and carry out a diagnostic check with a laptop or test equipment as it could also be a crushed wire under a floorboard if the installation has not been done properly. This will short out the circuit and will not show which zone but only as a tamper which is difficult to diagnose but from the panel by removing all the zones and carrying out a continuity test on all the cables.

For a call out you are looking around £60 additional to whatever parts or replacement needs to be carried out.
    Hope this helps
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    That's a very detailed and useful post but I suspect he's already fixed it somehow in the three and a half years since the thread was started.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would also like to know how to stop burglar alarms from going off.

I don't know the specific model yet, but I think the guy will be out of his house tonight so I'll see if I can look in through the windows.

Also any advice you could give on selling a 42" TV, an iPad and a laptop (all without boxes or receipts) would be greatly appreciated. I did have someone in the pub lined up to buy them, but he will be unavailable for the next 5-10 years (or maybe earlier for good behaviour).
  • can anyone help me,got house alarm ts510,when the weather starts to warm up in the daytime,internal alarm keeps going off and tamper flashes.resets ok then later goes off again.only goes off in daytime when warm,thx anyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure