PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should landlord pay for blockage

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eggha wrote: »
    ..... who upon being presented with the semi solid evidence in a bag when I knocked on the door and suggested they may like it back, agreed to think more carefully in future and use their rubbish bins instead
    Would love to have been a fly[STRIKE] in the bag[/STRIKE] on the wall!
  • brocq_18
    brocq_18 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I found out from one of the other girls, after my post, that the cost is not £160 but £560.....:(:(
  • brocq_18
    Penitent wrote: »
    Have you also found out what caused the blockage?

It's noted in the invoice that it was toiletries.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    brocq_18 wrote: »
    It's noted in the invoice that it was toiletries.
    Sounds like a polite way of referring to condoms.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Sounds like a polite way of referring to condoms.

Or sanitary products
    Zebras rock
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    Most blockages are caused by what you put down a toilet or sink, not the design of the drains or waste pipes.

If you regularly put 'hard fats' down the kitchen sink eg form when you have fried bacon, roast beef etc, then this will often result in blocked waste pipe from the sink as the fat solidifies in the pipes so water is unable to flow away. If this is the case, you re responsible.

If you are using bum wipes and putting them down the toilet, then again you have caused the problem. These bum wipes will not disintegrate in the toilet and will typically result in blocked drains. Although it says on the pack 'flushable', what it fails to tell you is that actually a human body is 'flushable' if you cut it up in to small enough pieces. However it does not mean that the body will disintegrate in the drains.

Flushable bum wipes are the biggest cause of blockages in most cities drains now. If the wipes have caused the blockage, you are responsible for unblocking.

You need to tread up on 'Acting in a Tenant Like manner'

Liking this for multiple use of the phrase "bum wipes" ;)
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Without a doubt it's wet wipes that are the killer here.

Even large macerator pumps ( or similar) in the water companies pumping stations can sometimes struggle to cope. Let alone a small bore domestic pipe.

I'll bet someone in your house has been putting something down the khazi they shouldn't have...
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Liking this for multiple use of the phrase "bum wipes" ;)

But you didn't need to quote a really long post (that the rest of us have to scroll though) just for that. A comment would suffice.
    :hello:
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    No idea about the OP's question- but who flushes kitchen towel down the toilet? Not you've suggested it I'm sure people do, but it would never cross my mind to do so.

That about when the bog roll runs out :D
  • brocq_18
    Would it be sensible to negotiate with the LL due to the fact the pipe is within the kitchen and this caused a number of fixing issues. I mean half a grand is ludicrous surely..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure