Is this a better solution for polymer notes?

It seems that the Bank of England have bowed to pressure - and are considering a different method of making the new polymer bank notes..

Instead of offending the vegans, Sikhs and Hindus by using animal tallow, they are thinking of using palm oil for the polymer £20 instead.

Unfortunately, they may need to think again...palm oil production destroys the rainforest...displaces people ...and endangers animals such as orang-utans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39441971

I can't see this going down well at all!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect whatever it was made out of someone would take offence or point out it was destroying the world somehow
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I suspect whatever it was made out of someone would take offence or point out it was destroying the world somehow

True ....as I recall there were plenty of offers here from people willing to accept custody of any unwanted fivers....maybe I should get in early with my willingness to accept all the new £20s from offended people?
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Now I'm not a chemist or biochemist so maybe this is a stupid idea, but what about all that used waste oil that councils collect (or did at some point?).
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    True ....as I recall there were plenty of offers here from people willing to accept custody of any unwanted fivers....maybe I should get in early with my willingness to accept all the new £20s from offended people?

I'll accept all the offending £20 paying for each with an "acceptable" £5 note. You heard it here first.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It seems that the Bank of England have bowed to pressure - and are considering a different method of making the new polymer bank notes..

Instead of offending the vegans, Sikhs and Hindus by using animal tallow, they are thinking of using palm oil for the polymer £20 instead.

Unfortunately, they may need to think again...palm oil production destroys the rainforest...displaces people ...and endangers animals such as orang-utans.

A really novel idea - lateral thinking and all that - why not use paper obtained from sustainable forests.

On second thoughts forget it. The idea of paper money will never catch on.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • It seems that the Bank of England have bowed to pressure - and are considering a different method of making the new polymer bank notes..

orang-utans or religionists?

No contest.

I discount the possibility of religious orang-utans.

No orang-utans have ever bothered me, religionists annoy me intensely, all of them, a pox on all of their houses.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »

As money is the root of all evil I think that's inevitable.

Also of course the man who works the printing press probably loves his meat, so the vegan argument falls down anyway. :)
  • As money is the root of all evil I think that's inevitable.

Also of course the man who works the printing press probably loves his meat, so the vegan argument falls down anyway. :)

I think you'll find that the actual line is something about the love of money being the root of all evil....... not the money itself.

WR
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Maybe we should make money radioactive. We would need lead-lined pockets and wallets but it would deter thieves and pickpockets and it would keep circulating in the economy being exchanged for goods and services that would keep us all in work, which is kind of the point of it.

Plus there'd be no point having people who are too rich just hoarding it, as it would achieve critical mass if they don't give it away to good causes. :)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'll take the tenners!!
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure