PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking the previous home owners to court

Options
Hello,

Apologies for the long winded message in advance...

In March 2015 the previous owners of my flat put it up for sale, declaring that there were no ongoing disputes between the neighbours (20 flats in total). It turns out that there was the early stages of a dispute between one flat in the block and the rest of the flat owners and also the management company regarding damage caused from a leaking roof and neglect of the property and the cost of repairs.
In June time it seems as though the dispute increased and started to formally involve all the flat owners and getting estimates for repairs and who is responsible etc.
In November/December I purchased the flat and moved into it (I put an offer in around July/August) and the first I heard about this dispute was when I received a letter through the post after I had moved in.
The bill is around 20 grand, a large percentage of which looks as though it will be split between all the flat owners..
The estate agents said it was nothing to do with them. The sellers solicitors said they cannot deal with me, they can only speak to my solicitors. My solicitors have said their fee for taking on this case would be around 16 grand, which is ridiculous. I have no contact information for the previous sellers other than an address I found on some paperwork, so I sent them a letter and have not heard anything back from them.

I was wondering what i should do in this situation, I have rang and written to five No Win No Fee online lawyers who have all not responded. How could I personally take somebody to court when I only have their surname and what may not even be their address?

p.s. there was a second issue which was that I was told by the estate agents that the water rates were included in the management fee, after one year of living at the property I got a water bill through for the previous 12 months. I have evidence of me asking for clarification of this in an email, the estate agents told me that the previous sellers told them the water rates were included and have wiped their hands with it.

Please help!
Thank you you any replies in advance!!

Paul

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    What did your solicitor say when you got them to check outstanding lease issues, management charges and utilities at the time of purchase? Standard questions when buying a flat surely.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * The estate agents are there to advertise the property and are paid if the property is sold. The details of the contract are negotiated between solicitors and have nothing to do with them.
    * The seller’s solicitors have no relationship with you so do owe you a response.
    * You have a contract with the seller so they are the party to claim against. You could go to your solicitors for any information they hold about the identity / contact details of your seller rather than to represent you in the entire case.
    * Water rates: The EA’s info is likely irrelevant as they will claim thye just passed on what they were told. What matters is the lease and management contract, in the paperwork provided through your solicitor – check this with them.
  • biggysmalls
    Options
    The answer given by the previous owners was ambiguous, this is because the management company deal with the admin of the water rates and then send me the bill annually.
  • biggysmalls
    Options
    Thank you, I shall go back to them.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In March 2015 the previous owners of my flat put it up for sale, declaring that there were no ongoing disputes between the neighbours (20 flats in total).

In June time it seems as though the dispute increased and started to formally involve all the flat owners

So in March, it didn't involve all owners?

When was the PIF signed and dated?
    The bill is around 20 grand, a large percentage of which looks as though it will be split between all the flat owners.

So your share will be under £1k?
    My solicitors have said their fee for taking on this case would be around 16 grand, which is ridiculous. I have no contact information for the previous sellers other than an address I found on some paperwork, so I sent them a letter and have not heard anything back from them.

I was wondering what i should do in this situation, I have rang and written to five No Win No Fee online lawyers who have all not responded.

There's a clue in all of this somewhere for you.
    How could I personally take somebody to court when I only have their surname and what may not even be their address?

You could employ a private investigator...? It shouldn't cost more than a grand or so...
    p.s. there was a second issue which was that I was told by the estate agents that the water rates were included in the management fee, after one year of living at the property I got a water bill through for the previous 12 months. I have evidence of me asking for clarification of this in an email, the estate agents told me that the previous sellers told them the water rates were included and have wiped their hands with it.

I've never heard of water bills being included in management or service charges, but it's possible. Did the management package not say anything about it? It's your responsibility to do sufficient DD for yourself. The EA can only pass on whatever the vendor has told them, and there's at least as much risk of it being chinese whispers as gospel.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to let this go.

I can't see you getting a satisfactory outcome. Certainly not with all the hassle/time/potential cost involved.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You could employ a private investigator...? It shouldn't cost more than a grand or so...
    Tracing agents are typically much, much cheaper than that, and some do it on a "no find no fee" basis.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Tracing agents are typically much, much cheaper than that, and some do it on a "no find no fee" basis.
    The subtlety of that deliberate choice of a random figure was clearly wasted.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never heard of water bills being included in management or service charges, but it's possible

In my flat the water charges are included in service charges and I believe there's no separate water meter for any of the 400+ flats in this development (12 years old) nor in the new build estate down the road.

But if this is the case for OP is upto their own queries with the freeholder / management company or by checking the lease / management contract. You can only have a claim against the vendor if they specifically lied, not if they gave vague but technically correct answers.
  • pinkpiglit
    pinkpiglit Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I've never heard of water bills being included in management or service charges, but it's possible. Did the management package not say anything about it? It's your responsibility to do sufficient DD for yourself. The EA can only pass on whatever the vendor has told them, and there's at least as much risk of it being chinese whispers as gospel.

While the above is not exactly the topic, I thought I'd add that our service charge includes the water bills for our whole apartment block. Personally I wish it didn't and that we each had our own meter - my OH and I generally take showers, whereas there are families with kids who I assume use baths (and therefore a lot more water!) than us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure