How long until debt is removed from credit file?

Hi all,

Just had my monthly email from Clearscore with my credit report.
Since the bankruptcy all my accounts have been marked as settled/closed other than two.

One is a Tesco loan of approx £11,000 (Tesco credit card shows as settled)
The other is Capital One credit card for approx £600

How long will these take to update? Do I need to do anything? I was declared BR at the beginning of Feb and I have spoken to the above two companies already so they already have the BR information. Seems strange that Tesco have closed the credit card account but not the loan account

Cheers

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Information is shown for 6 years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Yes I'm aware of that, what I would like to know is how long before the debts above should be shown as settled/closed?
    All my other accounts and loans have been other than these two.
  • willbr
    willbr Posts: 41 Forumite
    There is no guarantee all your accounts will show settled/closed automatically. I was discharged in October last year but still some of my accounts is not settled/closed. Therefore I will have to follow instructions posted in "Credit Reference File Clean Up Post Bankruptcy" thread. I will need to write a letter to every creditor who did not settle my account asking to do it, then if after couple months it is still not settled I will have to to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Yes I'm aware of that, what I would like to know is how long before the debts above should be shown as settled/closed?
    All my other accounts and loans have been other than these two.

That all depends on the creditor, they can be very sloppy at times.

Why does it matter anyway ?

With a bankruocy on your file you won't get further credit if that's the plan.
    Just curious to know why it's important to you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Thanks all
    No plans for any more credit, just trying to get everything in order and as dfub says, ensuring the data is accurate.
    Just baffled me a bit that the Tesco credit card had been marked as settled, but not the loan.
  • Wheels move VERY slowly with the receivers as they have pretty heavy caseloads (used to be around 8-12 wks they would inform every creditor of your bankruptcy..so really february isnt very long for changes to be made..some offices are taking longer)...wait till your discharged in 12mnths and see then...
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    That all depends on the creditor, they can be very sloppy at times.

Why does it matter anyway ?

With a bankruocy on your file you won't get further credit if that's the plan.
    Just curious to know why it's important to you.

it matters significantly. Making sure the data is accurate is the first step to rebuilding your financial life post bankruptcy.

OP - the sooner the information is accurate the more sure you can be that it will drop off at the 6 year point. If you leave them as defaults, then they will remain from the last date updated, which is wrong.

I had to contact all of the businesses listed in my BR and make sure they updated their information correctly.

All but one changed the date to the BR date, the other was a month or so after. Before that they were updating my credit file monthly with defaults,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure