Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • L.S.D.
    • By L.S.D. 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    • 407Posts
    • 122Thanks
    L.S.D.
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview 7th Dec 05 at 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 with Freeview

2 Tuners
    80 gig hard drive
    record whilst watching another programme
    Watch a programme later whilst still recording (Time slip)
    Much much more.

Thursday 15th December

Official Insert:

A PVR records programmes direct to its hard drive rather than onto external media. This one also has a Freeview box so you can get extra channels. Aldi's offer starts on Thursday 15 December. There's more info about this particular PVR on the Aldi website.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 13-12-2005 at 4:07 PM.
    Nice to save.
Page 5
  • tr3mor
    Can someone help me understand why I should get one of these and consign my Betamax VCR to history? What can a PVR do that a VCR can't?
    by LesD
    much better image quality. being able to look through the program guide and just clicking on what you want to record. not having to find a tape. being able to record two programs at once. having the extra channels on digital.

it will be miles and miles better than your vcr.
  • gromituk
    Much much better sound quality (your Beta is probably mono, too); much quicker navigation through programmes; ability to record subtitles.

The only thing it doesn't have is unlimited storage capacity (provided by piles of rotting tapes).
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • dc
    Can someone help me understand why I should get one of these and consign my Betamax VCR to history? What can a PVR do that a VCR can't?
    by LesD
    Besides not having to have a stock of tapes, you can pause live TV, say if someone comes to the door, you can press red button on the remote. Then after they have gone you can press play and it will still be at the place you left the programme at.
    The recordings will be of the same quality as the broadcast, it will store over 40 hours in " the library" before you have to delete or archive anything to tape or dvd.
    Some will allow you to record the same programe everyday, but I dont think this one will, and as has been said, you can record one programe whilst you watch another, recording the second prog if you want to.

The EPG ( electronic programe guide ) is l an on screen list of the programmes and times on all Freeview channels, for the next seven days, you just flick through the lists, like a menu and set the recorder to record the programmes of your choice, by pressing a button on the remote, not having to set up a timer.

HTHs dc
    ac's lovechild
    • LesD
    • By LesD 13th Dec 05, 1:38 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    LesD
    ...forgot to mention, we've got an On-Digital Nokia box too so we're already wired for Freeview! That gives us the 'now&next' listings.

However, the EPG sounds fun. Think I'll get the Zimmer frame out and wander round to Aldi to see if they've arrived yet.

Oh yes, we've also got an 8-track RECORDER/player so you can see we're really hi-tech here!!!
  • tr3mor
    ...forgot to mention, we've got an On-Digital Nokia box too so we're already wired for Freeview! That gives us the 'now&next' listings.

However, the EPG sounds fun. Think I'll get the Zimmer frame out and wander round to Aldi to see if they've arrived yet.

Oh yes, we've also got an 8-track RECORDER/player so you can see we're really hi-tech here!!!
    by LesD
    ugh, those old on digital boxes are painfully slow too. i bet it takes about 10 secs to change a channel for you?
    • LesD
    • By LesD 13th Dec 05, 5:32 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    LesD
    10 secs????....I reckon the average is longer than that including the time it takes to get up once a day and unplug the thing to reset it when it freezes!

By the way....they hadn't get the PVRs in our local Aldi yet.

(....and all the £10 gooses had gone - I know it's not spelt that way!!!!!)
  • gromituk
    Are you sure they haven't got them, or have they just sold out? I'm not so familiar with Aldi, but with Lidl, the offers appear on the day they're advertised and once they've sold out there won't be any more.
  • tr3mor
    10 secs????....I reckon the average is longer than that including the time it takes to get up once a day and unplug the thing to reset it when it freezes!

By the way....they hadn't get the PVRs in our local Aldi yet.

(....and all the £10 gooses had gone - I know it's not spelt that way!!!!!)
    by LesD
    They're not due in til thursday If you want one, get there at least 15 mins before it's due to open!
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 13th Dec 05, 7:55 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    Are you sure they haven't got them, or have they just sold out? I'm not so familiar with Aldi, but with Lidl, the offers appear on the day they're advertised and once they've sold out there won't be any more.
    by gromituk
    Even if they have been delivered to the store, they won't be 'put out' on display until the day the offer starts, which is Thursday.

Given the amount of discussion on this item I would predict that there won't be many (any) left half an hour after they open the doors on Thursday.
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 13th Dec 05, 8:12 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Lidl are doing one with DVD recorder and 160gb hard drive for £149 however it's only available in certain regions. It does time slip but I think it only has one tuner.

From 12/12/05

Click here
    by GeoThermal
    Is it an analogue or freeview tuner?

Says it can pause live TV, but that does not necessarily imply a freeview tuner.
  • gromituk
    Even if they have been delivered to the store, they won't be 'put out' on display until the day the offer starts, which is Thursday.

Given the amount of discussion on this item I would predict that there won't be many (any) left half an hour after they open the doors on Thursday.
    by virgo17
    Ah - given the amount of discussion, I assumed that they'd be available by now! I'd forgotton the big day is not yet nigh.
  • gromituk
    Is it an analogue or freeview tuner?
    by ffacoffipawb
    Ummm... try reading the very first posting in this thread!

And it's also been pointed out that it's actually cheaper to make one with a digital than an analogue tuner. You're going to have to do some more homework if you want to know why
  • monkeyuk
    I'm interested in getting one of these and will be queuing in the morning. Can anyone tell me if Aldi now take Credit Cards?
  • dc
    I'm interested in getting one of these and will be queuing in the morning. Can anyone tell me if Aldi now take Credit Cards?
    by monkeyuk
    According to the leaflet NO, just bank cards. There was a post a while ago that said they and Lidl had started, the Lidl acceptance seems to be only in Scotland, maybe the Aldi one was a regional trial too. Dont bank on it tho.

dc
    ac's lovechild
  • fubar
    Those that are interested in PVR's the Topfield TF5800 is a very nice duel tuner, with a facility built in that lets (those that know how to) write programs (TAP's) that improves how the Topfield works, as far as I am aware there is no other PVR that is as flexible as this.

There are many programs (called TAP's) available for download, There have been issues/bugs with PVR's released here in the UK but the Topfield engineers seem to be on top of most of them.

I have the Toppy myself and after checking out all the others available at the time, the Toppy came up trumps, I have had it for over 6 months now and it has to be the best new toy I have purchased.

You will have to pay a substantial price difference for the Toppy (Prices are about £230 up-wards) but the current users at the Toppy Users Forum have been making changes via TAP's to improve the Toppy by leaps and bounds, the Toppy as it stands now could be considered the Rolls Royce of PVR's! maybe there are other just waiting to be released that could knock the toppy off the No1 spot, but even so, if you want a PVR that is very flexible then the Toppy is your only choice, once you learn how to use it and the many TAP's available for it then I am sure you will not be disappointed in paying those extra few ££££'s for a PVR that works the way you want it to work.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • dc

by virgo17
    Half an hour, that's optimistic. Lets hope they have more stock than Lidl did on Monday of the analogue DVD/HD recorder, 3 per store :rolleyes:
    ac's lovechild
  • gromituk
    Those that are interested in PVR's the Topfield TF5800 is a very nice duel tuner, with a facility built in that lets (those that know how to) write programs (TAP's) that improves how the Topfield works, as far as I am aware there is no other PVR that is as flexible as this.
    by fubar
    The only thing more flexible is a PC (living-room friendly if necessary!) running something like Linux and MythTV, which is entirely open source, so you and the developers out there are not limited to tweaking what Topfield deign that you can tweak.
    • martint123
    • By martint123 14th Dec 05, 5:46 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    martint123
    The only thing more flexible is a PC (living-room friendly if necessary!) running something like Linux and MythTV, which is entirely open source, so you and the developers out there are not limited to tweaking what Topfield deign that you can tweak.
    by gromituk
    Even neater is something like a Hauppauge MVP (tiny little thing) with ethernet and scart - with something like GBPVR running on a pc elsewhere. (not open source, but plugin api is available).
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 14th Dec 05, 8:08 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Ummm... try reading the very first posting in this thread!

And it's also been pointed out that it's actually cheaper to make one with a digital than an analogue tuner. You're going to have to do some more homework if you want to know why
    by gromituk
    i mean the lidl 160gb dvd with hard drive, not the aldi one.
    • Searcher2
    • By Searcher2 14th Dec 05, 9:02 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Searcher2
    I have just got home with one of these PVRs and am setting it up now. Can confirm it is 7 day EPG. Comes with Scart lead. Model PVR101. Connections are Aerial (in and out), Audio in/out, video in/out, coaxial audio out, VCR SCART (CVBS, Audio), TV SCART (CVBS, RGB, Audio)...loop through of RF signals.

If anyone wants any more details I'll try to look them up in the manual.

Oh..and you can buy a 2 year extended warranty for £20 - but not sure if that is 2 extra years or one extra year.

Edit : Easy to set up and very quiet when recording (assuming it is actually recording!).
    Last edited by Searcher2; 14-12-2005 at 9:11 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,599Posts Today

8,833Users online

Martin's Twitter