Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • L.S.D.
    • By L.S.D. 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    • 407Posts
    • 122Thanks
    L.S.D.
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview 7th Dec 05 at 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 with Freeview

2 Tuners
    80 gig hard drive
    record whilst watching another programme
    Watch a programme later whilst still recording (Time slip)
    Much much more.

Thursday 15th December

Official Insert:

A PVR records programmes direct to its hard drive rather than onto external media. This one also has a Freeview box so you can get extra channels. Aldi's offer starts on Thursday 15 December. There's more info about this particular PVR on the Aldi website.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 13-12-2005 at 4:07 PM.
    Nice to save.
Page 4
  • hobo28
    Ok, am seriously interested in one of these as an xmas present to my sister and her BF.

What's the crack then? Is it one of those where each store have a limited amount and people queue up at silly o'clock? First person to fight there way to it wins? Can I get more than one?
  • dc
    To all the questions the answer is YES, unfortunately, I guess they will have 20 to 30 per store, anyone from Aldi know better?

ac's lovechild
  • Silly Chip
    Is this available now at Aldi or on December 15th? On their website it says Special Buys 15th December (confused).

Re-reading this thread I see it's available from the 15th; shame as I was all set to visit the Hounslow Aldi branch tomorrow The Boots Inverto is very tempting what with the triple points and a discount voucher for £15.00. Thanks to all for the info!
    Last edited by Silly Chip; 10-12-2005 at 7:47 PM.
  • robonz
    can anyone confirm what time the Aldi stores will open next Thursday as sometimes they open early for these kind of specials?
    thanks to everyone who has thanked me!
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 11th Dec 05, 12:54 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    So can I just confirm that there is no way to get the recorded data off the machine that Aldi will be selling? You just use it to view your recordings and eventually delete them when you need more space for new programmes?

I guess that if I need to copy programmes onto DVD's I would need to buy a more expensive box and copy via a USB port, assuming that it didn't have a built in DVD writer.

Is my reasoning correct here?

Many thanks.
  • 2poor4this
    So can I just confirm that there is no way to get the recorded data off the machine that Aldi will be selling? You just use it to view your recordings and eventually delete them when you need more space for new programmes?

I guess that if I need to copy programmes onto DVD's I would need to buy a more expensive box and copy via a USB port, assuming that it didn't have a built in DVD writer.

Many thanks.
    by virgo17
    I guess you could run it though a video or DVD recorder, not ideal as it sort of defeats the object, but should work.
    • L.S.D.
    • By L.S.D. 11th Dec 05, 1:03 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    L.S.D.

Many thanks.
    by virgo17
    How many times do I have to say this... I have the Digifusion PVR & I just connect the Scart from the PVR to the DVD recorder, press play on the PVR & Record on the recorder & hey presto, perfect copy. The Tecnosonic would be very similar.
    Nice to save.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 11th Dec 05, 1:10 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    How many times do I have to say this...
    by L.S.D.
    Well I guess you had to say it one more time for me, and I am grateful to you for taking the time and effort.

I think I will spend a bit more and get a machine that allows me to copy the file rather than have to play it in 'real time' to make the recording.

I'm sure the Aldi machine will be very useful to a lot of people. Just hope that everyone that wants one manages to get there in time.

Cheers.
  • gromituk
    How many times do I have to say this... I have the Digifusion PVR & I just connect the Scart from the PVR to the DVD recorder, press play on the PVR & Record on the recorder & hey presto, perfect copy. The Tecnosonic would be very similar.
    by L.S.D.
    Well it won't be a perfect copy, because you are going through a decode-digital/analogue-analogue/digital-recode cycle. You would get better results if you could transfer digitally in the MPEG domain. You will also lose subtitles and anything else that's embedded in the recording (assuming the PVR records subtitles).
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
    • monty58
    • By monty58 11th Dec 05, 1:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    monty58
    this may have been posted elsewhere but does anyone know if this can be used with an NTL set top box? I know the Technosound has a Freeview tuner built in but can it be bypassed? Freeview viewers have these boxes sky viewers have sky + but us NTL viewers don't have anything as yet!
    Ne illegitimi carbunculi tibi in facie sint
    • buggu
    • By buggu 11th Dec 05, 2:13 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    buggu
    I have transfered movies from my sky box+to dvd recorder and have not noticed much difference.

80GB should get you about 40hrs of digital quality programs.

I would recommend a pvr box they are very useful - helps avoid arguments over what to watch since you can record and watch later on (used it for recording cricket matches starting in the mornings). Also if you got to answer the phone etc or missed something whilst watching, you can easily pause and rewind.

At this price its a bargain and useful for general use since if you want a few extra features its going to mean double the cost at the least. It has the same features as in a skybox+ ( twin recording, epg, timeshift), guess the only question is the quality of the recordings.

ALDI offers start on fridays and stores open at 9.00, best to get there within the hour to be gauranteed one.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 11th Dec 05, 2:35 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    ALDI offers start on fridays and stores open at 9.00, best to get there within the hour to be gauranteed one.
    by buggu
    Is this a cunning ploy to be the only one in the que?

According to the Aldi email that I received a few days ago, this offer starts on Thursday 15th December :-)

Here is a quote from the flyer email "Thank you for enquiring about Aldi Special Buys and we are pleased to reveal the new range that will be in your local Aldi store on the 15th December."
  • gromituk
    this may have been posted elsewhere but does anyone know if this can be used with an NTL set top box?
    by monty58
    As far as we know, no. NTL boxes only output an analogue signal, and the Aldi box only takes digital, compressed (MPEG) signals, in the form of Freeview transmissions. Even if your box re-modulates onto the aerial lead, the Aldi box won't receive it. You need to go for a more expensive PVR that records from the SCART socket.
  • rowantoad
    this may have been posted elsewhere but does anyone know if this can be used with an NTL set top box? I know the Technosound has a Freeview tuner built in but can it be bypassed? Freeview viewers have these boxes sky viewers have sky + but us NTL viewers don't have anything as yet!
    by monty58
    No this can't be used with NTL but the lidl box probably can.

but Telewest have just launched their PVR and NTL will launch theirs next year, triple tuner :-

About it here and here

How much a month I wonder?
  • emujuice
    oooo, i'm very tempted by this. an absolute bargain.
    I got the inverto from boots a couple of weeks ago (£180 with anotehr 8 pounds in points). It's probably one of the best things i've bought. I'm not a massive tv watcher, i get hooked on some shows, but mostly it's background noise. however, with this, i get to watch what i want, when i want.
    It means that whenever i want to sit down for half an hour with a cup of tea, there is somehting in the library ready for me to watch. i record all sorts of things i might not normally watch, then if it's rubbish, i can just delete it.
    an of course you can fast forward through the ads. i feel like i'm 'speed watching' saving 10 mins per hour or watching, just by watching a recording rather than live.
    the inverto is a nifty box, but the aldi one for almost half the price sounds grand. i think i'll try and get one, and return my inverto to boots...
    or get the expensive one with usb out. it would be nice to archive my fave shows, such as a whole series of desperate house wives. could save a fortune in buying box sets!
    • mew
    • By mew 13th Dec 05, 12:11 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    mew
    No this can't be used with NTL but the lidl box probably can.

but Telewest have just launched their PVR and NTL will launch theirs next year, triple tuner :-

About it here and here

How much a month I wonder?
    by rowantoad
    RE Telewest, From Digital Spy "TV Drive, which allows 80 hours of storage, will cost £10 per month for customers taking the top tier package or £15 otherwise."
  • gromituk
    emujuice: interesting that you say it's very useful even if you aren't a great telly watcher. Sometimes vegging in front of the TV just has to be done, and if you can watch useful stuff rather than just what happens to be on, then all the better.

Archiving stuff depends on your morals of course, because it is illegal.
    • LesD
    • By LesD 13th Dec 05, 12:28 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    LesD
    Can someone help me understand why I should get one of these and consign my Betamax VCR to history? What can a PVR do that a VCR can't?
    • welshblob
    • By welshblob 13th Dec 05, 12:35 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    welshblob
    RE Telewest, From Digital Spy "TV Drive, which allows 80 hours of storage, will cost £10 per month for customers taking the top tier package or £15 otherwise."
    by mew
    Not that I'm going to pay more for this type of box but don't forget that the TV Drive will also have HDTV out. So you're paying for both the PVR and HDTV functionality.

Rob
  • a1i
    Not sure Fogg is right about the Lidl one, It only has a Analogue tuner so would have thought you can put a sky or Ntl box in. People are talking about it here
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=312329
    with a link to its manual .
    by boyohboy
    I have managed to purchase the Lidl DVD recorder + HDD, and connect my NTL to it last night. Did it via the AF lead, in order words connect the digital line to NTL, then the ariel plug out from MTL to DVD recorder then ariel out from DVD recorder to TV.

Looking to connect via scart tonight so I can record regular channel programmes (it is only showing up as BB1 - C5) and watch cable (as I would do with a VCR).

only downside I have seen with this is I can't get a TV channel for the DVD (as I did with the VCR) so only see through the 2nd Scart connection to TV.
    Last edited by a1i; 13-12-2005 at 3:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

7,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin