LHG - the next step

lionheartedgirl
lionheartedgirl Posts: 915 Forumite
edited 3 May 2017 at 10:17AM in Debt free diaries
Good morning dear friends.

I'm starting a new diary because something has subtly shifted beneath my feet and it feels like time for the next phase.

(previous diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4822453 )

I'm currently around £24k in debt (£50k at it's absolute highest in December 2013) but have been on these boards since around 2009 I think.

There's a long and emotional back story X-factor style, but I won't bore you with it as it feels like it's pretty much behind me now. I've learned a lot and I'm a much happier person now, and able to make better choices as to who is in my life and better financial decisions too.

I start a new permanent job in about a month, working in finance here in Glasgow. I took a few months' career break to do some more studying, and then a few years of temping/contracting. I also work occasionally as a musician but am cutting right back on that as it just doesn't make me happy enough for what it costs me to do (I get paid to do it but not enough to justify).

I got my new doggy yesterday after one of them died very sadly in January. I'm back up to two rescue greyhounds and am really, really happy.

The other thing is that I have started to think about buying another house. This fills me with terror and excitement in equal measure, but it feels like the right time, AND I have seen the very thing. It is extremely unlikely that all the planets will line up in time, but as we all know, things have a funny way of working out.

So the next few months are going to be about mopping up the last of the debt (the bulk of this will go when I sell my musical instrument) and literally getting my house in order so it's ready to sell.

I'll update totals in a bit but I'm very excited about the future (which hasn't been the case at various points over the last few years) and am looking forward to getting settled once again.

Comments

• Hi LHG,

Good luck with your debt busting. I also live in Glasgow :)
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh all sounding fab LHG - welcome to new doggy and for your new diary :) *subscribes*

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Good luck with your new diary and goals.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • ooh visitors! yay!

Ah that's great hear, swimminginaseaofdebt (well not great to hear about the swimming in debt bit but you know what I mean!). It's a great city, I'm very happy here!

Today's momentous step is an appointment with a mortgage broker. We get free advice/free commission with one through work and I thought it would be interesting to chat through what happens regarding my income and whether I need to wait until I've been in my permanent job a while.

Yesterday while I was out walking the dogs (and how lovely it is that there's two again!) I realised just how frantic the move was up here 5 years ago, and just how much fell into place at the right time. So maybe it could happen again. Even thinking about all this feels like such a massive step. I'm so excited!

(and a bit scared!)
  • Well. The mortgage broker was very helpful and doesn't think my contracting/temping will be an issue at all. Which is great news as.... I went to see the house on Sunday.

I went for a preliminary nose last Friday with my dad and I was a bit concerned as it's quite near a road (which i did know before I went but still wasn't sure when I got there the first time) and I did years of living on a very busy road and didn't want to do so again.

The house itself is incredible, just what I'm after, and the road noise from the house really is minimal so I'm happy that it's not an issue at all.

So... I'm getting mine valued on Monday evening. Well, one valuation anyway, of course there's a process of choosing a least worst option from the various estate agents. Holy cow.

Other news - the new pooch is settling in really well. I'm back at work this week after being at home on holiday last week getting the new doggy settled, and all is OK. He loves the dog walker and is getting on fine with the existing OAP dog :-)

It's a bit of a shock to the system after a few days at home in the sunshine but I'm enjoying getting back into a routine and making a fresh start now that my gig is out of the way and I've caught up with myself.

Moneywise things are a bit squeaky the next couple of months as I adjust from contractor money to permanent money, plus I have a couple of races coming up which are a way away so a bit of travel and kennels to pay for. But this all feels under control too. I like how this feels!
  • lionheartedgirl
    lionheartedgirl Posts: 915 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2017 at 9:38AM
    I'm feeling a bit glum so have popped in here for a kick up the bum and to borrow some energy from all the lovely motivated people on these boards :-)

I've had the first valuation done and I'm getting another done next week. Something is holding me back from doing any of the tidying up/fixing the bits that need doing, and I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything again.

My parents have offered to give me some money towards a deposit (the same amount they gave my brother a few years back, and they have helped him out a lot with things while his kids have been small). I was ready to sell my musical instrument to clear the debt and cut my outgoings each month, but now my mum and dad have offered to come to an arrangement over that as they would prefer me to keep it if it's just a case of money rather than actually wanting to get rid of it. They are not rich by any means but I guess they're now in more of a position to help than they have been in the past.

Being honest with myself, I feel like I don't deserve this. If I move into this house, it's pretty much everything I wanted, I'd be debt free, living in a beautiful house with pets, happy with my work and friends and social life. This is everything I've been working towards for a very long time and... it feels wrong :(

I don't think this is an actual bad gut instinct as in don't do it, but as the light at the end of the tunnel gets that bit nearer, I'm starting to feel guilty about things being OK. About having enough, and not having to struggle over every penny any more.

This is a bit much for a Monday morning so I'd best shuffle off and do something a bit more cheery! Like get ready for the wedding I'm playing for this afternoon :)

edited to add - some other good news is that I will make my last big loan payment on June 1st, I'm so happy about this!
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    I'm useless with advice or help.

But popping in to leave (()) everything happens for a reason and there's no need to feel any guilt. You deserve all the happiness and 'good' that's coming your way. Grip on to it and enjoy every minute of your dream home coming true x
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    You absolutely do deserve it xx
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I totally get where you're coming from.

It feels better from the other side, though :D. I am still adjusting to the idea that there isn't that big uncertainty and goal out there, but it's wonderful to feel the freedom of having all that 'scrimping' energy available to put to other things.

Just in case it might be helpful... One of the main reasons I accepted the gift from my parents was that I figure building my own security means I'm in a better position to offer help to others if needed (this came to mind because of a friend who fortunately turned out not to need somewhere to stay after all, but it made me very aware that having the privilege of owning my own place could be a gift in ways I hadn't thought of). And there seems no sense in paying rent for years before they go and then being able to buy somewhere when accepting the gift now means we are all happier in the meantime.

You do deserve it - all the more because you didn't expect it. I hope it all works out - and I'm really happy to hear that you wouldn't have to sell your instrument and can keep spreading more happiness that way too :T

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • So... second valuation done today. The price came out very similar. I think I'd like to for it, and I think we will go with this one as it's via a solicitors we've all dealt with before. Maybe I just needed some time to get used to the idea because I feel much more positive about things now.

New doggy is gradually settling in although he is taking his time.

One big run is done with another to come in a few weeks.

A big loan is all over and done with by the end of tomorrow.

And I start my new job tomorrow too!

Eee it's all go :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family