What Washing Did You Use for Newborn?

Comments

• Kanoona
    Kanoona Posts: 70 Forumite
    I wash my baby girls clothes in fairy powder and fairy softener. I get them in large boxes/bottles from Home Bargains usually costs me £9 for a huge box and £2.99 for a massive bottle with the handle. Last me well over a month :) sometimes two as I water the softener down into bottles I saved.

Hope this helps

Fi Xx
    Pay off all your debt 2017: £3500/£0
    Clothing Challenge 2017: £600/£0
    Sealed Pot: £0 Virtual Sealed Pot: £0
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use Fairy non bio gel. I tried the Persil and had a bright red itchy baby within 10 minutes of her being put in a babygro washed in the stuff. I also use Neals Yard baby products as they are paraben, mineral oil etc free - I'm get contact dermatitis from the Johnsons baby range so I wasn't going to use that or anything else likely to set off a skin reaction in myself or the baby. It's pricey but a little goes a long way and the barrier (bum) cream is unbelievably good - clears up any redness and rashes in hours. My husband swears it works on his spots too!
  • I've used soapnut liquid now for about 3 years, I buy a bug bag of nuts (Amazon about £10) and add 16 to a litre of water, boil for 20 mins, mash down nuts, make back up litre with water , use roughly 50 mls per wash.
    You will need to buy stain remover, brightener, you don't need conditioner, a bag makes about 400 washes
  • We used what ever was cheapest per wash and used much less than recommended dose. And a bit of softener, never used brighteners or stain removers (doesn't that kind of lose the point of using soap nuts?)

I did use soap nuts, not as nice a smell but just as good a job.

I washed clothes at 40°C. Rarely a stain didn't come out and it went in with nappies at 60°C but as she got older and nappies not as dirty everything was at 40°C.

I suspect the agitation and water do more than expensive washing detergent. Husband sensitive too and never had a problem, just used much less.
  • Hi, As I am not a mom yet, But I have seen my mom washes my younger sister's clothes with a solution of detergent and dettol.
  • vatic
    vatic Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have always washed my baby's stuff in Sainsbury's own non-bio powder and we tend to use Lenor liquid fabric softener that we get on the cheap at B&M. I have pretty sensitive skin and neither have ever bothered me, same for baby. I even wash LO's cloth nappies in the Sains powder and baby's never had any reactions or nappy rash. Hope that helps!
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• I used the same as I used for the whole family.

If you use Daz, for example, just put half the amount in. A full scoop isn't needed.

No need to switch your powder at all.
  • Anjek
    Anjek Posts: 11 Forumite
    I use Ariel and Lenor sensitive. The same I use before.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Lots of people seem to use Fairy non-bio, but I have a dreadful reaction to that (and Persil). I also have allergies to Lenor and Comfort.

For my own children, I used Bold, which I also used for myself. Nowadays, I use Aldi's own brand for both washing liquid and conditioner - and as well as a pleasant aroma, my skin is fine.
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also use Aldi - Almat non-bio liquid
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport