Room rearranging, any ideas welcome. Full floorplans included in thread!

Comments

• ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    My first thought would be to shift the door of the guest room towards the front door and have the stairs starting somewhere near where the door is presently, then turning fully so the stairs still come up exactly where they do now.

Needs a joiner more than an architect.

I don't think you need an extension of any kind.

The stairs are very strange at present.

If I am thinking they way you are..... that would take quite a bit of room off that front room though? Making the room a bit out of proportion with the big bay window?
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I don't really see the point of considering an extension when you already have 2 large downstairs rooms spare.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,777
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:56PM
    It will take a chunk off it, not the whole way across. It's really about what you want from the house and what sort of budget you have. It isn't conventional and arguably devalued by the current position of the stairs.

How old is the house? What is the original floorplan of it? The upstairs landing isn't nice at all for a house of that size.

We have had a house with an open hallway before - essentially using a room. The 'guest room' could be opened up completely to the existing hall, the existing hallway reorganised/made smaller to use space better - enter kitchen/diner through guest room (new hallway), square off the lounge, and extend that new wall to make bedroom into a proper ensuite. Use cupboard as a downstairs loo to replace bathroom.

Use 'guest room' then as an entrance hall with study area or seating. You could even make the dining room bigger, stealing off the new hall. Of course it would very much change the proportion of the 'guest room' but a large hall with a beautiful window would be unusual but a lovely feature,

It makes some sense of having bedrooms downstairs. I do believe that if you have downstairs bedrooms, they should be contained in one area or very much ensuite - otherwise you're just renaming an excess of reception rooms.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Is the ensuite over the dining room?
    Any photos of the house from outside?
    What's the budget you have?
    I would look at turning the stairs to a u shape, sacrificing a bit off bedroom 3 but depends on the clearances and structural issues, that would allow you to move the kitchen into the dining room and open up the back wall of the kitchen into the garden...
  • ellie27
    Forumite
    House built 1930's, a bungalow with conversion. The current kitchen is actually an extension.

The ensuite of Bed 1 is above the front Bed 3.

The upstairs landing is basically a 1sqm with 3 doors off it. I guess that way there was more space for rooms. Some folk would say its the best use of space. I like it and wouldnt want to change upstairs to create a bigger hall.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,777
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 9:29PM
    ellie27 wrote: »
    House built 1930's, a bungalow with conversion. The current kitchen is actually an extension.

The ensuite of Bed 1 is above the front Bed 3.

The upstairs landing is basically a 1sqm with 3 doors off it. I guess that way there was more space for rooms. Some folk would say its the best use of space. I like it and wouldnt want to change upstairs to create a bigger hall.

Haven't suggested changing upstairs at all. I'd have said how upstairs would be affected if I were making suggestion. Stairs can change direction at any point, so can come in from almost any direction to meet the current arrangement at the top. It just becomes a bulkhead in the dining room. Makes sense for the doorway to be next to it in the least usable area.

Can you see what I've suggested downstairs?

I thought it might be a bungalow. Developed to use every inch of space.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ellie27
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Haven't suggested changing upstairs at all. I'd have said how upstairs would be affected if I were making suggestion. Stairs can change direction at any point, so can come in from almost any direction to meet the current arrangement at the top. It just becomes a bulkhead in the dining room. Makes sense for the doorway to be next to it in the least usable area.

Can you see what I've suggested downstairs?

I thought it might be a bungalow. Developed to use every inch of space.

Yes, know what you mean by bringing the stairs down through the front bedroom. I am not sure of the rearranging the front room to turn it into a grand hall.....

Great for the suggestions though....keep them coming if you can!
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i wouldnt have the toilet near my bedroom and the other room should face the back garden with patio doors going to decking outside and the kitchen more indoors with extracting fan.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • ellie27
    Forumite
    prosaver wrote: »
    i wouldnt have the toilet near my bedroom ....

I believe ensuites are popular for a reason.

I guess you mean a family bathroom - you wouldnt put that next to a spare bedroom???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure