Packaged Account Court Action

I could really do with some help/advice regarding my additions account claim;

I was offered the Barclays Additions account when I went to Barclays Bank asking for an overdraft in April 2001, the reason was because I had been paid twice by my employer in one month by accident and being young and irresponsible had spent it and needed money to get me to my next payment.

I wanted an overdraft to facilitate this, but was told the only way I could get this overdraft was to take out a packaged account, I did want the insurances but needed the money so accepted the account.
I wasn’t eligible for most of the insurances included, I didn’t own or hold a driving licence, and I didn’t use any of the other insurances included in the packaged account.

I have put my case to the financial ombudsman after not even getting a reply from Barclays (From several letters) they have sided with Barclays for the following reasons:

Financial Ombudsman;
From the information we’ve send, the Barclays Additions account was sold to you in April 2001 which is more than six years before you first made your complaint.

I also need to consider whether you were aware or ought to have been aware of cause for complaint more than three years prior to the complaint being made.

I appreciate that you told me that you knew five years after taking out the Barclays Additions account that you believed you had been mis-sold and that you were aware that there were other options available. You told me that you believed you had no choice but to stay with the package as you were still in debt with them.

In January 2009 you made a complaint to Barclays Bank Plc about overdraft fees. Because of this, I believe it is reasonable to suggest that as you may have been mis-sold the Barclays Additions account at that point, I believe there was an opportunity to complain about your packaged account- therefore, this means that your complaint also falls outside the three-year time limit.

The rules do not allow this service to consider a complaint made outside the time limits if the delay in complaining was as a result of exceptional circumstances. Matters such as extended serious ill health, which prevented you from brining the complaint to this service, might be considered an exceptional circumstance. No such circumstance has advised to us however.

I feel like I was put on the spot by the financial ombudsman, I have only really became aware of this via the work of money saving expert and their coverage in the last year or so, I successfully claimed my PPI from this account so decide to push forward with the packaged account claim.

Barclays have denied that I was mis-sold just take its over 6 years old and that I should of reported it in 2009.

I have now proceeded via court (Money claim) and have issued papers, Barclays have appointed a solicitor (TLT) and the have sent me an Acknowledgement of service and stated they intend to defend the claim in full.

My main questions;

· Do I have a case, or should I think about dropping it? I know I was mis-sold (aggressively) I didn’t want the insurances but they knew my circumstances and took advantage of me.

· Will the rules the financial ombudsman have stated on time frames and what when I ought to reasonable known and made a complaint now apply if it makes it to court, as these time frames don’t alter the fact that they mis-sold the product?

· Is the simple fact that I had this packaged account pushed on me with useless insurance enough to proceed with this? What other proof or evidence should I try and get?

· One last one about court action, if I lose will I be liable for Barclays costs?

Sorry about the length of this post, I have done some searching online and haven’t really found anything about people in similar positions and could really do with some advice.

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Strictly FOS have not sided with Barclays they have simply informed you (correctly) that the complaint is time barred.

The same time bar can also be used by Barclays in the defence of your court action, I believe they may ask for the case to be dismissed.

On what basis are you taking court action, being miss-sold is more a regulatory issue than a legal one?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    they have sided with Barclays for the following reasons:

They have not sided with Barclays. They have said that you are time barred and gone on to explain the two timebars that exist.
    I have now proceeded via court (Money claim) and have issued papers, Barclays have appointed a solicitor (TLT) and the have sent me an Acknowledgement of service and stated they intend to defend the claim in full.

Thats brave as Barclays can bill you a reasonable amount if your case fails. Although as the timebars are a legal thing, they can put them in their defence and the judge can throw the case out on a point of law.
    Do I have a case, or should I think about dropping it? I know I was mis-sold (aggressively) I didn’t want the insurances but they knew my circumstances and took advantage of me.

1 - you are timebarred.
    2 - what evidence can you produce to the court to prove you were sold aggressively (if Barclays choose not to apply the time bar)
    3 - You gained from the preferential borrowing rate. So, you did use bits of the package.
    · One last one about court action, if I lose will I be liable for Barclays costs?

They can ask for reasonable costs to be awarded to them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for the responses
  • Hi

I dont have to proceed I have that choice once they issue their defense.

PPI was original dealt with in court and that was mis-selling?

Anyway sounds like I might have to drop it then.

Thanks
  • I think latent damage applies;

Taken from a legal website;
    This is known as 'latent damage', and in these circumstances the claimant has three years from either the date of knowledge of loss or the date when it ought to have reasonably known about the loss.

I know both Barclays and FO are using it in the assessment of these cases, Ive only really been aware of the loss for 18 months, plus Barclays must feel they have some liability else they wouldnt be paying out on claims?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    PPI was original dealt with in court and that was mis-selling?

It wasnt dealt with in court. The issue in court, in simple terms, was whether the FSA (as it was then) had the legal right to be able to force the banks to consider pre-regulation sales and review on them on regulations that were not in place at the time of the sale. It actually had nothing to do with PPI suitability complaints.

If the banks had won the case, they could have rejected far more.
    Taken from a legal website;
    This is known as 'latent damage', and in these circumstances the claimant has three years from either the date of knowledge of loss or the date when it ought to have reasonably known about the loss.

I know both Barclays and FO are using it in the assessment of these cases, Ive only really been aware of the loss for 18 months, plus Barclays must feel they have some liability else they wouldnt be paying out on claims?

You made a complaint about bank charges in 2009. That was 6 years ago.

The banks are making quite large refunds on packaged bank accounts but that is on those that are not timebarred and where a mis-sale can be seen. You are timebarred.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Llewy
    Llewy Posts: 5 Forumite
    I could really do with some help/advice regarding my additions account claim;

I was offered the Barclays Additions account when I went to Barclays Bank asking for an overdraft in April 2001, the reason was because I had been paid twice by my employer in one month by accident and being young and irresponsible had spent it and needed money to get me to my next payment.

I wanted an overdraft to facilitate this, but was told the only way I could get this overdraft was to take out a packaged account, I did want the insurances but needed the money so accepted the account.
    I wasn’t eligible for most of the insurances included, I didn’t own or hold a driving licence, and I didn’t use any of the other insurances included in the packaged account.

I have put my case to the financial ombudsman after not even getting a reply from Barclays (From several letters) they have sided with Barclays for the following reasons:

Financial Ombudsman;
    From the information we’ve send, the Barclays Additions account was sold to you in April 2001 which is more than six years before you first made your complaint.

I also need to consider whether you were aware or ought to have been aware of cause for complaint more than three years prior to the complaint being made.

I appreciate that you told me that you knew five years after taking out the Barclays Additions account that you believed you had been mis-sold and that you were aware that there were other options available. You told me that you believed you had no choice but to stay with the package as you were still in debt with them.

In January 2009 you made a complaint to Barclays Bank Plc about overdraft fees. Because of this, I believe it is reasonable to suggest that as you may have been mis-sold the Barclays Additions account at that point, I believe there was an opportunity to complain about your packaged account- therefore, this means that your complaint also falls outside the three-year time limit.

The rules do not allow this service to consider a complaint made outside the time limits if the delay in complaining was as a result of exceptional circumstances. Matters such as extended serious ill health, which prevented you from brining the complaint to this service, might be considered an exceptional circumstance. No such circumstance has advised to us however.

Did your letter come from the adjudicator or the Ombudsman?
  • Llewy
    Llewy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Try asking these guys:

consumeractiongroup

legalbeagles

As a new person on here i cannot post links but please google them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As this thread originates from EXACTLY two years ago, I doubt the OP will be googling anyone, especially as he last logged into this site 08/06/15 ......
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Llewy wrote: »
    Did your letter come from the adjudicator or the Ombudsman?

If it came from an adjudicator, it would not have been overturned by an Ombudsman. A timebar has been applied correctly, it cannot be overturned.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure