PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone know how to use salmon heads?

I keep seeing salmon heads and trimmings for 80p a packet in Morrisons, and often reduced to 20p. I dont know what to do with them though.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they are not suitable for making stock with.
Does anyone buy them, and if so, how do you use them?

Thank you
NWCC £[STRIKE]2800[/STRIKE] £2600 Marbles £498.18 Egg £1,022.28 o/d1800 1400
Cap1 £250
student grant [STRIKE]£2000[/STRIKE]£1900 C.tax [STRIKE]£2312.91[/STRIKE] £301.64 live frugally,think sensibly, stop impulse buying,look at the bigger picture,relax,remember to budget,say no to the bairns. NSDs 6/10 GC £300/£200
FL £0/£200

Comments

• Saw these myself lastnight in Morrisons, but £1.65.
    I toyed with the idea of buying, but then put them back, if I see them for 20p I would grab them. There is an awful lot of meat on the cheeks, so lightly steam then remove flesh, use then in anything you fancy. You are right, the head is not good for making stock.
  • falady
    falady Posts: 584 Forumite
    The trimmings are fantastic for making a really lovely pasta dish.....

I have taken this from the philidephia cookbook and there are often recipe cards for it by the philidelphia cream cheese in the supermarket:

Cook spaghetti / other long pasta as per packet instructions.

When the pasta is nearly cooked, in a separate pan, warm a heaped tablespoon of philidelpia per person with a few tablespoons of milk. Mix together to make a creamy sauce.

When you have drained the pasta, add the smoked salomn trimmings to the sauce, a squeeze of lemn juice, and the cooked pasta.

Volia! A lovely meal that feels like a treat, in 10 minuites for less than a pound!

Its nice if you add some parsley or chives (or use the philidelpia with it already in). I have also added cooked runner beans too (cook the beans in with the pasta). I guess you could use the same basic sauce for lots of things.

HTH,

Ali x
    Not Buying It 2015 :)
  • Ah, that is a lovely meal idea, but these are fresh huge salmon heads with a few trimmings, not smoked. Though once cooked it could be added insted of the smoked salmon.
  • I recently bought a whole salmon. I poached the head with an onion, some herbs and a carrot. When it was cooked I took off all the meat but I can't for the life of me remember what I did with it lol! It would have most likely been in a pilaff or fishcakes. But it would have been nice mixed with mayo for a sandwich filling or with cream and mushrooms for pasta.

I saved the poaching liquid and froze it as 'fish stock' and it was fine. Mind you I did put the frame (bones) in with the head too.

BTW the gills are absolutely look gross when cooked and I'm not usually squeamish.
  • thriftlady wrote: »
    BTW the gills are absolutely look gross when cooked and I'm not usually squeamish.

In fact, they're so bad that all syntax goes out of the window :p

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills