New Build House, but restricted Service Providers

I have just moved into a new build house and, whilst i'm really happy with it, it has a 'fibre to the property' telecom line by openreach (BT). The speeds are great but I am heavily restricted on the service providers - I have a choice of three. Has anyone else got a similar experience and is there something that I can do to get a wider choice (ideally, I would like sky). Thanks.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    At the moment, I don't believe Sky offer FTTP. It's still a very niche market and I think of all the 'major' ISPs, only BT offer it.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sky and TalkTalk have deicded not to offer services on Openreach FTTP for their own commercial reasons.

At the moment BT, AAISP and Zen are the main providers, BT being the cheapest.

I suspect it won't be long before other ISP's start offering their service as Openreach are connecting more and more properties to FTTP every week.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have just moved into a new build house and, whilst i'm really happy with it, it has a 'fibre to the property' telecom line by openreach (BT). The speeds are great but I am heavily restricted on the service providers - I have a choice of three. Has anyone else got a similar experience and is there something that I can do to get a wider choice (ideally, I would like sky). Thanks.

I think it's quite ironic that given the amount of complaints about the UK's supposed 'third world' broadband infrastructure , and the lack of true fibre access, that you have it but are complaining
    It could be worse , you could be in a development where a deal was done between the builder and an 'exclusive' provider that doesn't offer even a limited choice of providers, it's the company the builder did a deal with or no one.
    If you think you should be able to get FTTP from the likes of Sky or Talk Talk, you need to take it up with them, it's available to them at a wholesale level, the fact that they don't want to retail it, is a decision of theirs , if you want a wider choice , lobby them
  • sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    iniltous wrote: »
    I think it's quite ironic that given the amount of complaints about the UK's supposed 'third world' broadband infrastructure , and the lack of true fibre access, that you have it but are complaining
    It could be worse , you could be in a development where a deal was done between the builder and an 'exclusive' provider that doesn't offer even a limited choice of providers, it's the company the builder did a deal with or no one.
    If you think you should be able to get FTTP from the likes of Sky or Talk Talk, you need to take it up with them, it's available to them at a wholesale level, the fact that they don't want to retail it, is a decision of theirs , if you want a wider choice , lobby them

Just what I was thinking. I'd love to have this limited choice. At the minute, I have a choice of any provider for my 1Mb ADSL connection, and that's once OpenReach get their finger out and connect my line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure