Hello all Nice scenic places near Chatsworth House in Peak District? Driving

Options
Hi all,

New to the forums (but browsed enough for years).

Could you please recommend scenic places around Chatsworth House in Peak District? Will be seeing Chatsworth House but would like to see more other places.

Preferably short drive or walking distance on a day out.

Comments

• tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Matlock or Castleton both reasonable drives, plenty for tourists and some good sights. Recommend both.
  • JamesFuller
    JamesFuller Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Hi tho,

Thank you. Is it possible to do free parking / street free parking in those towns? :)
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends when you go. Mon-fri I believe you can park for free in Castleton on the road to the west of the town but they definitely charge weekends and bank hols. This might have changed since I last went though so sorry I can't be more positive!

There is plenty of car parks in both, been a couple years since I've been to either, but think it's about £5 for 10 hours parking at the main car park in Castleton.
  • JamesFuller
    Options
    Great.

Other suggestions welcome as well :)
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Bakewell's nice or you could always park at Hassop Station and walk down the old railway into Bakewell.

Car parking is chargeable at Hassop and in Bakewell.

Plenty of good cafes including the one at Hassop Station

A bit further away there is Monsall Head viaduct which is the same disused railway line as Hassop.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The Crich Tramway Village museum's not too far away - as well as the trams (which you can ride on) there's a woodland walk and sculpture trail

https://www.tramway.co.uk/
  • JamesFuller
    Options
    Hi both, good suggestions thank you :)

What about in terms of outdoors, scenery, and architecture? :)
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haddon Hall is much older than Chatsworth, part of it is medieval but mostly Tudor, but very easy to find a few miles south of Bakewell on the A6. Eyam is the 'plague village' where the plague was brought from London but the villagers agreed to stay and die rather than leave and spread the disease. The roads around Eyam, Grindleford and on towards Buxton are very attractive in the summer but very busy at weekends. Parking is rarely free, indeed at times it seems it provides the biggest part of the income for the local authorities. Hathersage is another small village famed for the resting place of Little John, of Robin Hood fame and the road out of Hathersage north towards Sheffield has spectacular views over the valley (known as the Surprise View)

Just to the north of Hathersage are the 'lakes' which are reservoirs alongside the A57, they drowned the village of Ladybower to create Ladybower Dam and it was used as the practice point for Barnes Wallis as he developed his 'bouncing bomb' during the Second World War. If you continue along the A57 it becomes the Snake Pass, an indication of its curves and leads to Glossop which is a moderately sized and interesting small town with lots of places to eat.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tideswell has a nice church and is a pretty village to wander around. Street parking is free, and their well-dressings are up at the moment. It's roughly half-way between Bakewell and Buxton so is a nice place to call in to if you're visiting some larger places.

Incidentally, if you're interested in the well dressings then this site lists all of the well dressings in Derbyshire along with their dates - the villages are often very pretty and there's usually a carnival or festival of some sort too.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love Derbyshire, have been many times and I agree with everything that's been recommended:D

Trip advisor is good for ideas as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport