Care home fees

Not sure where to post this, Anyone on here know ruling on these? My mum has been told she has to pay the top up fee for my dad for the new home he's had to move into, the home he was in was mostly self funded becuase of some pensions he has. Now I know they dont have savings and apart from the house (which my mum still lives in, so cant be sold) no other assets. He needs more care than what was being provided as his previous home. The fees are an extra £200 a month, which she cant afford, Me, my brother and sisters have said we will pay for her, but should she have to pay anyway?

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Has your dad/mum had a means test done with the new arrangement? if not, that is your first port of call.

It may come back that your father may need to be moved to a cheaper care setting if the council is responsible for paying; but you have stated you are happy to pay the top up.
  • @grilli - no family can be asked to fund a 3rd party top up for a home. If you are able to, that is fine - but you do have a choice! The council need to offer you a home with a vacancy that is affordable. If there are no vacancies in the Local Authority home/ at local authority rate, the local authority will need to provide alternative options to you (i.e a more expensive home that the LA are prepared to pay).
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    no family can be asked to fund a 3rd party top up for a home.

If you are able to, that is fine - but you do have a choice!

Of course they can be asked - they can be asked but not forced.
  • grilli wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this, Anyone on here know ruling on these? My mum has been told she has to pay the top up fee for my dad for the new home he's had to move into, the home he was in was mostly self funded becuase of some pensions he has. Now I know they dont have savings and apart from the house (which my mum still lives in, so cant be sold) no other assets. He needs more care than what was being provided as his previous home. The fees are an extra £200 a month, which she cant afford, Me, my brother and sisters have said we will pay for her, but should she have to pay anyway?

I wonder if this is quite the full details - we had to jump though hoops to prove that mum had the money to pay the requested top up - quite the opposite of 'being told she has to pay'. (The reality was she couldn't afford it for long but it gave us breathing space as a family to plan). If she couldn't have afforded the top up (and it was the council that made that decision whether she could afford it, we were not allowed to) dad would have faced being moved to a cheaper home of their choosing - which was 10 miles away from my mother, not 1. Horrendous.
    Who moved him to the new home?
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • It sounds like he has moved from Personal Care to Nursing Care needs in which case the care home should get him assessed for a grant to cover this.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport