Smacking. Could you/would you/do you?

Self explanatory really. We were discussing this at work today and as you can imagine, there were some pretty strong views from both sides of the debate.

I was surprised that many parents were prepared to admit to smacking their children, I thought this had become a bit of a taboo. I just wondered how MSEr's felt. My son is one, so it hasn't become an issue yet - although (she says getting ready to duck) I am not against the idea and will do whatever I think is appropriate if/when the time comes.

Could you, would you and if so, are you prepared to admit it?

Comments

• SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    I'm only 20, but when i do have children i would never ever smack,hit,slap or otherwise physically punish my children.
    I don't think you could ever regulate 'smacking' as it usually would occur when you are purely frustrated that your child isn't behaving and therefore you are likely to hurt them as opposed to teaching them what is right and wrong.
    Its much more productive to wait until you are calmer to resolve something.
    I don't want my children to fear me because i physically hurt them
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A tap on the hand/leg/nappy and a stern "No" should be all that is required with under 3's IMHO.
  • l0u1se
    l0u1se Posts: 179 Forumite
    I'm 22, and occasionally had a smack on the bum as a child, never hurt me. I don't agree or disagree, quite impartial, I think it should be the choice of the parent.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Depends on the child, really. They need to know boundaries, and sometimes as a last resort a smack on the bottom teaches them. However, you don't want to be giving out the message that if someone doesn't do as you want, you hit them.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't got any kids myself but often mind my two little nieces and there are times that i'll smack them, not often and only on the hand. But afterwards we'd have a cuddle and say sorry to each other, them for being naughty and me for smacking.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can't see me ever doing it, but not massively against the idea.

That said, I saw a supernanny USA the other day where the parents were "paddling" their children with a wooden spoon...but hugging them and telling them they loved them at the same time. That was pretty messed up.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    NAR wrote: »
    A tap on the hand/leg/nappy and a stern "No" should be all that is required with under 3's IMHO.

yes, I agree with this (for example a tap on the hand if they're touching something dangerous/fragile and they've already been told not to).
    Once children get older than this then all you are teaching them is that if you are bigger than the person you're hitting, then thats fine and its acceptable for everyone.

I believe that if an adult has to resort to smacking, they've lost control of the situation, and it won't be resolved by physical attack.
  • Del_Astra
    Del_Astra Posts: 446
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 April 2012 at 2:59PM
    I would, but I haven't, the wife is dead against it so I respect that and will not be smacking them, hence I don't do it.

The reason I would is I got it and it done me no harm. These days its off to the room, x, y or z taken until further notice. Eldest is five and has had some serious tellings off but never smacked.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I haven't got any kids myself but often mind my two little nieces and there are times that i'll smack them, not often and only on the hand. But afterwards we'd have a cuddle and say sorry to each other, them for being naughty and me for smacking.

Eek, I think smacking other people's children is a whole different topic! :)
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, I would never, EVER smack someone else's child
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts