The ESA medical for people with anxiety and depression

Comments

• i am sorry to hear of your husbands issues sunnyone. Sounds like MP backing is the way to go.
  • dmg24, not not yet just a lot of rescheduling, they cancelled the last one which made my health issues work, my friend who supports me greatly and had taken the day of work may not be able to make the next one they have made me. All just adds to my issues which makes me worry more. I will try the open minded approach, but its hard as thats part of my condition, if i'm making sense? Thanks for the tip though dmg24.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    dmg24, not not yet just a lot of rescheduling, they cancelled the last one which made my health issues work, my friend who supports me greatly and had taken the day of work may not be able to make the next one they have made me. All just adds to my issues which makes me worry more. I will try the open minded approach, but its hard as thats part of my condition, if i'm making sense? Thanks for the tip though dmg24.

The fact that the doc had to cancel because they were ill shows that they are human too. Try not to worry, all you can do is be honest and hope for a positive outcome.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • thank you again dmg24 anything positive helps. :-)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    geministar2008, you have not actually had your medical yet. Could I suggest that you approach it with an open mind? Though people have reported problems with the ESA medicals, many people have gone through the system with no problems at all.

I don't know if it's just me; but it does seem that many posts on the internet about ESA (and sickness benefits in general) do pretty much seem to be "I've been turned down". Yet, there are many people who have managed to get benefits with no problems.
    sunnyone i am merely trying to say that if someone has a physical disability then the evidence is there, in perhaps a clearer way.

Not always true. I'm partially sighted and have bowel problems. It's not obvious that I do have problems.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    thanks messed up we have communicated before. How long ago did you go through this? Are you any better now? Are you still in the ESA support group? One day when i am recovered in in recovery mode i would love to perhaps help within a mental health organisation, there needs to far more support and understanding to this disease.
    Think my medical was in august/September and got the decision about 6 weeks or so after. Its a bit hazy to be honest. I wouldn't say i'm better, more the same really. TBH right now i'm not great but that's my own doing and is because i've run out of medication :o Still in support group though worrying as i'm considering college in september but can only do full time as long as i still get DLA but that would be up for renewal half way though the course and they'd probably deem me fit to work even though i wouldn't necessarily be.

Sorry i'm rambelling.

There definitely needs to be more people with a knowledge of EA giving advice.
  • coz71
    coz71 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I also had a medical assessment for the same reason,the doctor did'nt ask questions relevant to my condition,alas I failed, I was advised by someone to appeal against the decision and write the reasons why, after 3wks I have received a letter to advise me that they have received my appeal.

It is worth appealing against, my dad had a kidney transplant yrs ago and has severe medical problems as a result he appealed and won with an extra 10 points. its ridiculous that you have to go through all this messing about when you genuinely are incapacitated but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. good luck.
  • coz71
    coz71 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I failed a medical assessment for esa in December my doctor said she could'nt prescribe a sick note because of this. Now I have been told by the ESA I need sick notes from December to now to cover me and they will pay me form December while my appeal is going through, could anyone advise me if a doctor can backdate a sicknote that far and was she correct in not being able to issue me a sick note
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    coz71 wrote: »
    I failed a medical assessment for esa in December my doctor said she could'nt prescribe a sick note because of this. Now I have been told by the ESA I need sick notes from December to now to cover me and they will pay me form December while my appeal is going through, could anyone advise me if a doctor can backdate a sicknote that far and was she correct in not being able to issue me a sick note

She can issue you with a sick note whilst you are appealing and it can be backdated.
  • sunnyone wrote: »
    EVERY type of illness/disability is being turned down, why do you think you are diffrent? They dont ask GPs about you or any of your consultants, its down to the nurse or doctor at your assessment and the result is decided by LIMA software.

On your other thread you said if you are disabled you are fine, where did you find this information?

Go to your MP (we did), the system isnt fit for purpose and seriously ill people are being told to sign on JSA.
    Hi, first of all it may look as though I am picking on you - not at all, honest. It's just your comment about MP's. I wrote to mine, M Howard, received the standard reply - looking into it, that was in the middle of January, heard nothing since so have given up! Yes you are totally correct, all decisions about health should be viewed with ALL of the available evidence in front of them. Not the DWP decision makers, but the Health assessors at the medical in order that relevant questions could be asked. The decision makers can only decide on what is put in front of them!
    But what you have to remember is that the assessment isn't about what is wrong with you, how it is treated etc. it is purely an assessment that looks at the positives. Almost everybody has a positive side to them despite how ill they are or feel. It's all a question of trying to establish what those positives are and are they usable in the work place. We have the Disability Discrimination Act there to protect people with difficult and long term disabilities, the workplace can and will be adapted.
    I have a long standing friend that suffered from Thalydamyde (no legs or arms and serious gastro problems. He fought and fought everybody and everything, eventually qualified as a Chartered Accountant.
    I am glad that your husband managed to get through the 'system', and maybe you have a more supportive MP.
    Me, I have no pancreas, no stomach, no spleen and not expected to live more than 7 years, take 100mgs Morphine daily. They gave me 9 points and told me that I am fit to do some type of work. When you think about it, I probably could - I'm sat here writing this aren't I? But I carry on the best I can with what I am given which isn't a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure