Free WiFi for 30 minutes at Wetherspoon's nationwide- just buy a cheap drink.

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What's the deal?

PC World's running a promotion with 3M and The Apprentice (phew!) which offers a redeemable £5 gift voucher for purchasing selected 3M products. The cheapest qualifying purchase is £2.54, so you can almost double your money through redemption.

The £5 voucher can be spent anywhere, as it's issued by Maestro (it's just like a prepaid debit card), not PC World. Furthermore, you can claim more than one voucher, and you can spend as many as you like at once. So, while this is a bit fiddly (see below), you can potentially make some profit from it.

How can I get the voucher?

Either shop online or in-store at PC World for the 3M products that qualify for the deal. These are listed quite clearly on the special promotion page. The cheapeast way to qualify is to buy two packs of scotch tape with dispensers, at a cost of £1.27 each (plus postage if you're buying online). Make sure you don't open them yet, you'll need the packaging to claim.

Next, you'll need to get a claim form to attach your packaging's barcodes to. You can either print one directly from PC World's site, or pick one up in-store. You need one claim form per £5 redemption. For each, staple your barcodes to the corner (all this is written on the form), then fill in your details and post to the address provided. You can post more than one form in the same envelope to save on postage. The voucher should arrive within 28 days.

Anything else I should know?

The offer ends 30 June, and applications must be received by 14th July.

You can use multiple gift cards in the same transaction.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• wolvesinwales
    wolvesinwales Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I collect plenty of these vouchers from Wetherspoons and use them at other Wifi hotspots when on my travels.
    Probably one of the most readily available places are Mcdonalds burger places, i find that you can connect ok frm the carpark without having to go in and purchase any cra* in a bap.

You can download a list of Wifi spots from here :

http://www.thecloud.net/content.asp?section=4&content=204
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • fbs_4800
    fbs_4800 Posts: 214 Forumite
    you can connect ok frm the carpark without having to go in and purchase any cra* in a bap

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:T
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato :silenced:
  • Quite often when you're in some places you can pick up wireless networks from other places- I was actually in a Whetherspoons once and I could pick up the network from the Subway sandwich bar next door (which also gives free wireless in there if you ever go and get one of their sub sandwiches). Also some places have big public spots- for example central Bristol has one called StreetNet which you can pick up near the iPlus information points and inside and near some of the bars/restaurants (although you do have to fill in a 2 minute survey before you can get internet on it).

Also if you've got BT Broadband don't forget about your 250 free minutes at their Openzone hotspots!
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    I swear this has been going on for yonks now? Has been in my local Wetherspoons!

To be honest though i'd buy a pint, why would you go for a lime & soda and some net time down Wetherspoons when you can probably do all of that in the comfort of your own home :p
  • Tarquin_2
    Tarquin_2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    I have written to them a couple of times as they have been advertising this for ages but all around the UK (in Aberdeen they claimed it was England only) seem to have run out of cards, despite the stickers and even widescreen tv's (Milton Keynes) advertising the free service.

My most recent visit (Barnstaple) they actually did have the cards. Please name and shame those branches that advertise free wifi but don't provide!

Good luck!!!
  • fish1000
    fish1000 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wetherspoons do a reasonable cappuccino for about 79p, bargain!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tarquin wrote: »
    Please name and shame those branches that advertise free wifi but don't provide!

Good luck!!!

I asked for a card in Monmouth last week and from his shocked and quizical response you'd have thought i'd asked to borrow his underpants. :confused:
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    The offer has been running for a few months - you can read others' experiences in this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=402591
  • farci
    farci Posts: 20 Forumite
    If you are a Skype subscriber (free), you can sign up for a Skype Zones account. Per month unlimited it will cost US$7.95 (£4.00) - or less than 1 1/2 pints at London prices!

It's meant to be used for Skype phone calls through public WiFi networks but it works just as well for e-mails and surfing. Coverage is world-wide including The Cloud in UK and is backed by Boingo Wireless - coverage maps here
  • I work at a Wetherspoons, and often get people asking for the free wireless access. If a pub has the ITbox games machine but the bartender (or "bar associate" as we're called) can't find any of the cards with the codes on then ask them to pop down to the manager's office or the staff room as there are normally loads lurking around down there!

Unfortunately, most of my colleagues have no idea about this!!

Lime and soda costs just 15p in my pub - so internet access is very very cheap indeed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure