Gutter Mesh To Keep Leaves Out

I few weeks ago in Lidl I sw some mesh type stuff that you can put in your gutter to keep the leave etc out of them.

I went back yesterday but they had all gone (not suprisingly). So I was wondering if this stuff was any good ? Also where is the best place to get it from now or can you make you own ?
"The time is always right to do what is right"

Comments

• abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    I'm sure i saw it in Aldi's on Thursday. Just ring first to check. Hope this helps.

Rebecca x
  • edina
    edina Posts: 178 Forumite
    Just got new guttering around my house & when getting quote I asked the bloke whether it was any good getting mesh. He said no as the leaves just rest on it & so preventing rain to flow down, making water pour over edge instead.
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    best bet is get offending branches cut off tree you will need to clean the leaves out the gutter / mesh every year till the branch dies if you dont.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought some chicken wire to day and was going to cut it and roll it to put in the gutter. I thought the idea was that any leaves fell on the mess and then dried and fell off or got blown away !
  • I wouldn't bother as the amount of muck that will fall through is a lot more likely to block your gutters. A 2 litre Coke bottle with the bottom cut off works a treat by bending round the contours of the gutter.
  • ahll
    mmmm not sure what you mean and how to use the coke bottle can you explain ? Especially the ' bending round the contours of the gutter.' part as wont that stop the rain water going into the gutter as well ?
  • maybe it means just above the downspout
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I was wondering if this stuff was any good ?

Yes definitely. in my area (loads of leaves) it's been a godsend.
    Also where is the best place to get it from now or can you make you own ?

We got ours from screwfix direct.
    He said no as the leaves just rest on it & so preventing rain to flow down, making water pour over edge instead.

We haven't had this problem but we are in an exposed area.
    The leaves blow off the top and don't stay up there.
    best bet is get offending branches cut off tree

That can be difficult if you don't own the tree.
    You cannot get trees removed completely.
    Many old trees will have preservation orders on them.
    We live close to large trees in a school. There is no way they would cut them down just for the sake of our gutters.
    I thought the idea was that any leaves fell on the mess and then dried and fell off or got blown away !

Yes, it works very well.
    I can only think they would stay up there if you live somewhere extremely sheltered.
    I wouldn't bother as the amount of muck that will fall through is a lot more likely to block your gutters.

We haven't had any problem with muck falling through as the holes in the screwfix stuff doesn't allow it through.
    We would honestly be clearing our gutters every couple of months without this, it did take a few days though on a large house.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Here is the stuff we got from screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12515&ts=34906

I have no connection but I can recommend it and have had none of the problems that people have been mentioning.

It did cost us a few hundred quid to get it put up but I guess it's free if you do it yourself (it was several days work to do the whole house).
  • ahll
    cool that sounds like the kinda of stuff I am looking for.

Was it really a few hundred just to get it fitted -nothing else done ? Sounds like a lot of money to me.

Like you its not practical to cut all the trees as they are not my mum n dads and they have a wood behind them, so always going to be leaves around alas !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport