I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP

Hello,

I have been trying to get out of my orange contract since November and they keep saying there is nothing they can do.
Basically since I moved house I havent been able to use my phone as the signal is appauling to the point it says SOS calls only!
I have had to go out and purchase another contract to receive better signal in my area.
I dont think its fair that I have to pay Orange £30 a month until August when the phone has been non usable since August 2010.

Any tips of advice would be a great help. Even if they were to lower my tarrif for me.

Comments

• sirbrainy
    sirbrainy Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    That's the nature of contracts.
  • naypo
    naypo Posts: 181 Forumite
    You won't be able to get out of it as it's a contract but you can still buy a signal booster for your house - my dad had the same problem and bought a signal booster that somehow runs off the internet and now he has full signal all the time at home where there is none on any network; it is network specific though so not sure if you can get multiple network boosters!
    Wins so far:
    :)£100 M&S Voucher, £10 Mama's & Papa's Voucher, £50 Mother Care Voucher, £50 Very Voucher, £65 dining out Voucher, 3 months of Purina Cat food, cinema tickets, silk scarf, Frusli bars,
  • poor-but-happy
    poor-but-happy Posts: 133
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2011 at 10:58AM
    Orange ended my contract 8 months early last week. I've barely had any signal for 5 months and been ringing them every week. They added Tmobile, made me try 2G, and replaced my SIM before finally admitting that they had reduced the number of transmitters in my area from 5 to 2 and it was unlikely I would get a good signal now.
    My argument was that I would not have renewed my contract with an inadequate signal ( I also have a 5 year old son with epilepsy and need to be contactable) which is slightly different to your position. What I did make sure was that I remained pleasant and gave them every opportunity to resolve the problem.
  • mamto3
    mamto3 Posts: 205 Forumite
    I didnt get a signal at home either but went online and activated their parnership with T Mobile (i think its everyone everywhere) and now have a signal everywhere in my house. It costs no different than what you are paying now but just picks up the T Mobile signal when its stronger than the Orange one.
  • This is not a grabbit.
    My daughters are my world
  • hanatan
    hanatan Posts: 69 Forumite
    I cannot remember that well but one of my friend had the same problem. She wrote a letter to local MP for the help regarding the problem. And luckily they made an action for Orange and the manager at Orange contacted my friend and she could come off the contract.
    Hope this idea might help.
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    It doesn't seem to matter any more

Hotukdeals for grabbits to hell with this part of the forum
    This is not a grabbit.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Linds1234 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been trying to get out of my orange contract since November and they keep saying there is nothing they can do.
    Basically since I moved house I havent been able to use my phone as the signal is appauling to the point it says SOS calls only!
    I have had to go out and purchase another contract to receive better signal in my area.
    I dont think its fair that I have to pay Orange £30 a month until August when the phone has been non usable since August 2010.

Any tips of advice would be a great help. Even if they were to lower my tarrif for me.

Firstly cancel your direct debit and then flatly refuse to pay them until they either sort out this issue or cancel your contract, I did this with Vodafone as my signal went down the 3rd month in to a 18 month contract and they then canceled it in full.

Be persitant and keep asking for managers as they will normaly get fed up with you complaining and in the end will hopefully resolve it, take a note of anyone you speak with and the date and times.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is not a grabbit.

It's a new user for God's sake, they probably don't understand how the boards work and what the rules are so no need to be so short and sharp.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • shellsuit wrote: »
    It's a new user for God's sake, they probably don't understand how the boards work and what the rules are so no need to be so short and sharp.

November 2010 doesn't count as a new user in my book. That's 5 months at least by my reckoning...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure